Ben Tozer

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
6 months ago Ben Tozer was a tosser of a signing by Gary Johnson and I should think most would agree with that, but since his move to Centre back hes been a revelation. Hes hardly put a foot wrong, and on Saturday at Crewe was flawless, only one bad game i can recall at centre back and that was against FGR, a big contender now for player of the season, never thought id be saying that now after his first 3 months at the club
Robin
Fully agree. He's been superb since moving to centre back, along side Varney and Hussey as our best player since that time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shock horror: Experienced summer signing with a good track record of over 250 games in League Two turns out to be a decent enough L2 player.

The morals of the story? 1.) It takes players time to gel and find their place in a new club. Many will do so after a week or two, many will take a year or never do so. Those who wrote Tozer off far too prematurely should remember this. 2.) Just because he was signed by Johnson it doesn’t mean he is automatically a bad signing or a mistake.

Glad that BT has started to show why we have signed him and why he has been a well regarded L2 player for so many years. To boot, he is too decent a chap to tell the idiots who write him off as a failed signing to pipe down, so I am doing it for him.
shevates
Difference is he was signed as a midfielder and a poor one at that from what we seen, GJ didnt sign him as a centre back thats for sure. Just pleased his potential as a centre back was spotted by the new regime, put into place, and truimphed
paperboy
… don't think we signed Ryan Broom as a wing back either.

Wonder what Scott Flinders would be like up front? :-)
Robin
To be fair a number of GJ signings were wrote off and have done well in 'new' positions. Broom, Addai, Tozer and Hussey were all criticised early in the season and I'm pleased to see them come through. Hopefully Long, Mullins and Duku can also step up.
Del Boy
It was interesting how, the other night, Duff was on about how coaching the defence in the way he wanted them to play had taken time because it was not an easy system. I think Duff's coaching and top-level playing experience has been key in improving players who previously looked below par.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:To be fair a number of GJ signings were wrote off and have done well in 'new' positions. Broom, Addai, Tozer and Hussey were all criticised early in the season and I'm pleased to see them come through. Hopefully Long, Mullins and Duku can also step up.
Who on Earth criticised Hussey? One of L2’s best LBs and our best player over the season imo.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:To be fair a number of GJ signings were wrote off and have done well in 'new' positions. Broom, Addai, Tozer and Hussey were all criticised early in the season and I'm pleased to see them come through. Hopefully Long, Mullins and Duku can also step up.
and our best player over the season imo.
Mine too. I voted for him in GlosLive's unofficial poll earlier but it will obviously be Varney that wins it.
Si Robin
I agree - Hussey far and away the player of the season for me. The only worry about him at the start of the season was his fitness.
Ihearye
And they still may be poor if MD had not improved their fitness, got tem playing in a position and formation that suited them. Also more or less kept selection consistent
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I agree - Hussey far and away the player of the season for me. The only worry about him at the start of the season was his fitness.
Indeed, and the first game he was fit to play GJ bought him on as a sub, not fully fit, but still set up our first goal of the season to get our first point. His only appearance under GJ so cannot fathom how anyone doubted him.