Safety in the Colin Farmer stand

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longtimerobin
At the last home against Crewe Alexandra I witnessed a gentleman fall as came down the steps of the stand, although he had a walking stick and I beleave he had someone with him he lost his balance which led to fall to the ground luckily if that is the right word to use he had reached the bottom few steps. I beleave this sort of accident has not been the first. I too have had problems up and down the steps when using a walking stick after a recent operation. The hand rail down the middle of each set of steps has a gap of about 4-5 ft every so often and it is a case of stretching to reach the next rail risking the chance of losing balance and falling. Is it possible to fix a handrail all the way down or perhaps attach some kind of fold down hand rail between the gaps. I hope the gentleman who had the fall is o.k. and he is back cheering on the robins to promotion.
Nesty
I did not fall but (I have Parkinsons) found it very difficult to get to row E.
everyman
Nesty wrote:I did not fall but (I have Parkinsons) found it very difficult to get to row E.
Surely the club can relocate you to at or near the front row ? ( don`t be affronted ) ;)
horlickfanclub
" Near the front row" also means a few steps without handrails . Some people also prefer a slightly higher view.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:" Near the front row" also means a few steps without handrails . Some people also prefer a slightly higher view.
I have always thought it was poor design not have handrails on the first few steps.

I know there have to be gaps in the hand railing for safety reasons to stop a crush if people are penned in when trying to escape in an emergency etc, but maybe the position of the gaps and be better?
Si Robin
The gap between the advertising hoarding and the first row is also a bit dodgy. I'm amazed no kids have fallen down there before.
Nesty
I hasten to add a big thanks to Kevin M (used to be CV) for assisting me at half time.
Nesty
I hasten to add a big thanks to Kevin M (used to be CV) for assisting me at half time.
Ihearye
While at the stage of life where I qualify for a concession, I would still consider myself fairly mobile. In saying that, I find the steps on the CF stand tricky at the best of time. Think maybe it is the depth / narrowness of the steps ? Without a handrail, I do need to be a bit more careful and can see how it can be an issue
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I wonder if the areas where there needs to be a gap in the hand rail at the middle of the stairs whether there is a way to have very small handrails or posts with handles on on the seat-side of the stairs.
Shade
I don't see why there couldn't be posts to grab hold of at the very least at the back side of each seat on the back. They don't have to be too high that they would impede anybodies view. But I suppose then they would be "dangerous" as people could fall on them and impale themselves.
asl
Good to hear you're back, Nesty. I'm trying desperately not to mention how useful Stan R Stairlift might have been...
Nesty
Haha
Red Duke
asl wrote:Good to hear you're back, Nesty. I'm trying desperately not to mention how useful Stan R Stairlift might have been...
Love it ASL! :-)
Nesty
The truth is that Stan was a work colleague of mine. Honest...
Jerry St Clair
The Green Guide on safety at sports grounds specifically states that gangways should have ‘intermittent central handrails’. So, in this respect it seems the CF is fully compliant. The GG also mentions placing handholds to further assist spectators with mobility issues (RCS mentions them above). So, definitely room for improvement.
leohoenig
The Robins Trust has been working with the club on matters of disability access.
The comments on this thread have been noted, while if anyone wants to make a specific comment, they should send it to the FED by e-mail.

fed@robinstrust.org
everyman
Nesty wrote:I hasten to add a big thanks to Kevin M (used to be CV) for assisting me at half time.
are you sure kevin was assisting you ? ;)
everyman
Nesty wrote:I hasten to add a big thanks to Kevin M (used to be CV) for assisting me at half time.
are you sure kevin was assisting you ? ;)