Grimsby Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening http://bit.ly/vGrimsbyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I don't know what Broom hasn't got to do to get subbed off. He's been awful tonight. Appears to have zero confidence again.
Hubert Parry
A decent point. Seems as though teams have worked out our formula so we might need to tweak things a little going forwards.
Alf
Not a great performance against a team that we could have done better against.
Poor decision making on the odd occasions where we looked like doing something useful.
If Rueben Reid is a striker then he’s not getting the right service, we need to take more care with our final pass into the danger area, it’s not enough just to lump the ball into the box. We need more movement and precision in that respect.
Benctfc
I think we miss Varney's experience up top when he doesnt play. It's clear he has a big impact on the team especially away from home. Lets be honest though if offered 5th in the league with a game in hand on most teams and in the 2nd round of the FA cup we would have all taken that.
darreno
Exactly benctfc. Some people wouldn't know a good thing if it bit them on the ass :roll:
Robin
Snoozefest that one, we played the better football but lacked penetration in the final third. Grimsby very limited/direct but forced Flinders into a couple of good saves first half when it seemed easier to score.

A bit like Saturday, I'm unsure if that's really a point gained or two points dropped as Grimsby were not a good side.
Alf
darreno wrote:Exactly benctfc. Some people wouldn't know a good thing if it bit them on the ass :roll:
Just because we are doing well doesn’t mean that we should be happy with any kind of performance. We have set a standard and need to carry that into every game.
Nesty
Benctfc wrote:I think we miss Varney's experience up top when he doesnt play. It's clear he has a big impact on the team especially away from home. Lets be honest though if offered 5th in the league with a game in hand on most teams and in the 2nd round of the FA cup we would have all taken that.
given the injuries we have had as well, I think we have done extremely well.
triggo
Happy with where we are but...
... how often have we worked the opposition keeper in the last few games,? - as said above no final ball into the box.
Thought Reid did well with his link up play but no chances created for him.
Definitely well organised at the back, but going forward looking lightweight.
Benctfc
I think our main problem going forward is how we can create chances when our wing backs are taken out of the game. As soon as they are shut off we seem to lack ideas of how to open teams up.
Nesty
Broom seems to have gone off the boil - same happened last season when there was interest in him.
Shade
Regarding going forward, I think we need to be a bit braver with the final ball to the forwards sometimes. Too many times I'm seeing that potential killer pass disregarded in favour of a safer ball, or stopping, turning and passing back.
Alf
Shade wrote:Regarding going forward, I think we need to be a bit braver with the final ball to the forwards sometimes. Too many times I'm seeing that potential killer pass disregarded in favour of a safer ball, or stopping, turning and passing back.
My feelings exactly. It’s frustrating when we break forward and then suddenly stop in the opponents half and finish working the ball all the way back to Scott Flinders.
I realise that keeping possession is all part of the game plan but we do need to speculate occasionally. I realise it seems a bit ungrateful to criticise when Duffo is doing such a great job but if we didn’t say anything there wouldn’t be a forum! :lol: :lol: :shock:
paperboy
Nesty wrote:Broom seems to have gone off the boil - same happened last season when there was interest in him.
He might not have had his best game offensively but his work rate was phenomenal,along with Doyle Hayes and Thomas too.
A game we could easily have lost with a lack lustre first half and without a great performance by Flinders who kept us in the game. ( the same player who made a crucial penalty save at Swindon and whose ability was questioned on Saturday)
No player is going to have a blinder in every match but if they are giving their all that's the main thing imo.
Ben3
I bet, at 50-1, on us winning the league before a ball was kicked. I’m an optimist but also a realist, so I went each way.

I reckon I may see a return on my money. Top three...? Why not. No team has been much better than us, we’ve played a few who are a similar level.

I think the key is up front. Varney is not going to play each week; Reid will clearly do a good job; addai is a weapon. But if we could sign a firing Holman in January then we’d be very, very close
little mo
Broom was no worse than anyone else last night and he was better than most. First half we were awful, only Flinders comes out with any credit. Second half we were much better without really threatening much but Long coming on made a big difference, he is very important to us. But without Varney buzzing about up front we carry no threat.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
Nesty wrote:Broom seems to have gone off the boil - same happened last season when there was interest in him.
He might not have had his best game offensively but his work rate was phenomenal,along with Doyle Hayes and Thomas too.
A game we could easily have lost with a lack lustre first half and without a great performance by Flinders who kept us in the game. ( the same player who made a crucial penalty save at Swindon and whose ability was questioned on Saturday)
No player is going to have a blinder in every match but if they are giving their all that's the main thing imo.
I thought Broom looked one of our best watching on iFollow. Always one of the few driving forward, getting down the channels, and had our best chances
Ihearye
Is it only me, or has a trend set in lately. That sees us have a substandard first half. Which MD needs to address at halftime. This then sees us getting back into the game.
Alf
Ihearye wrote:Is it only me, or has a trend set in lately. That sees us have a substandard first half. Which MD needs to address at halftime. This then sees us getting back into the game.
We are certainly more effective second half.
Could it be that teams have sussed our first half game plan and are closing us down forcing us to pass the ball around in less dangerous areas? When Addai started a couple of games ago he was ineffective partly because we couldn’t get the ball forward and feed him the right passes. This isn’t a criticism of MD’s tactics, it’s just happens in football and I’m sure the coaching staff will be working on it.
Ben3
Alf wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Is it only me, or has a trend set in lately. That sees us have a substandard first half. Which MD needs to address at halftime. This then sees us getting back into the game.
We are certainly more effective second half.
Could it be that teams have sussed our first half game plan and are closing us down forcing us to pass the ball around in less dangerous areas? When Addai started a couple of games ago he was ineffective partly because we couldn’t get the ball forward and feed him the right passes. This isn’t a criticism of MD’s tactics, it’s just happens in football and I’m sure the coaching staff will be working on it.
It was noticeable on Saturday that our set plays were being varied. For both Kick offs - all the big lads lined up out left, but instead of hanging it up we played it on the deck. Same with the corners - they were being knocked in instead of the normal front post short-one routine. Obviously aimed at winning the game, but will mean teams in future won’t know what’s coming in quite such a telegraphed fashion