Career Ender?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Scott Flinders with a suspected broken leg.
We are not having much luck with constant; continuous and endless injuries.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Hubert Parry
It looked horrendous in real time. Wishing Scott all the best.
paperboy
...not sounding good for Scott, but some might think the topic's title is negative and unnecessary.
darreno
Absolute rubbish talk and complete disregard for the situation. We don't even know what the extent of the injury is. This isn't just a goalkeeper we are talking about it's someone's livelihood. Have some respect and restraint man.
art vandalay
Isn‘t he contracted for next season? In which case if it‘s a serious injury I expect we‘ll quickly move for a loanee for the rest of this season and hopefully Scott will be back next season. Hopefully he‘ll make a full recovery as he‘s been consistently good since joining.
Nesty
Another feckwit of a referee by the sound of it

All the best to Scott Flinders
Robin
Suspected broken leg. We will surely sign a new keeper this week but likely a loanee for the season. Wishing Scotty all the best here but also some trepidation that this could derail our promotion prospects if we don't get the right keeper in.
Alf
Scott is one of the best keepers I can remember at our club, it would be shocking if we lost him for the rest of the season. Really hope it’s not as bad as it looked.
Malabus
art vandalay wrote:Isn‘t he contracted for next season? In which case if it‘s a serious injury I expect we‘ll quickly move for a loanee for the rest of this season and hopefully Scott will be back next season. Hopefully he‘ll make a full recovery as he‘s been consistently good since joining.
A broken leg would see him out for at least 12 months.

asl
Nesty wrote:Another feckwit of a referee by the sound of it
I thought he did okay, actually... I presume the goal was disallowed for a handball in the charge-down and couldn't really say one way or another whether that was the case.
Malabus
asl wrote:
Nesty wrote:Another feckwit of a referee by the sound of it
I thought he did okay, actually... I presume the goal was disallowed for a handball in the charge-down and couldn't really say one way or another whether that was the case.
Never handball, everyone but the referee knew that.

asl
Malabus wrote:Never handball, everyone but the referee knew that.
Ah, yes...you folk in the PRE must've had a clear view of that...
Malabus
asl wrote:
Malabus wrote:Never handball, everyone but the referee knew that.
Ah, yes...you folk in the PRE must've had a clear view of that...
Best view in the house.

asl
Out of interest, if it had been the opposition keeper who was down injured when there clearly hadn't been a foul, how happy would we have been for the whistle to blow just as we were about to chip it into an empty net...?
Jerry St Clair
asl wrote:Out of interest, if it had been the opposition keeper who was down injured when there clearly hadn't been a foul, how happy would we have been for the whistle to blow just as we were about to chip it into an empty net...?
Law Three, the referee's powers and duties, allows the referee to stop the game for "a serious injury". It even includes an example of a goalkeeper and opposition player colliding. There doesn't have to have been an infringement.

So, regardless of how fans feel (and, let's face it, many fans are pretty hazy about the Laws of the Game), the ref had every right to stop play.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Out of interest, if it had been the opposition keeper who was down injured when there clearly hadn't been a foul, how happy would we have been for the whistle to blow just as we were about to chip it into an empty net...?
100% happy. We are Cheltenham, we do things right. Even Di Canio once caught the ball rather than trying to score when an opposing keeper was down. If we scored in such circumstances I would be ashamed.
Hubert Parry
On the basis that it is bad news... Experienced goalkeepers are perhaps the easiest to secure given that many clubs now have three or four on their books and only one can play at any time. I recall reading someone's autobiography (possibly Ian Holloway) who would always ring up Neil Warnock as the latter would rarely even name a goalkeeper on the bench.

Looking at the obvious, Burnley's third choice is Peacock-Farrell who had a stretch of games for Leeds. Might be ambitious but we have had highly rated goalkeepers before!
Robin
Yeah it's an interesting one as it's such a crucial position we either need a Butland type signing or an experienced player from league one/championship I feel. What we don't want is another Flatt/Howarth (lad from Everton) who come in are nowhere near ready/good enough and it completely derails ourside given how water tight our defence has been.

Thinking about skill set we want someone who has good distribution to fit in with our style of play and someone who can come for crosses given how the majority of teams at this level play.
Nesty
get Steve Book signed on.......
Nesty
Or we could go to Grant MCann and get Will Mannion?
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Yeah it's an interesting one as it's such a crucial position we either need a Butland type signing or an experienced player from league one/championship I feel. What we don't want is another Flatt/Howarth (lad from Everton) who come in are nowhere near ready/good enough and it completely derails ourside given how water tight our defence has been.

Thinking about skill set we want someone who has good distribution to fit in with our style of play and someone who can come for crosses given how the majority of teams at this level play.
Russell Griffiths.

Year after playing for us he was understudy to Trevor Carson at Motherwell. If we did a worst team of the decade he would walk into the goalkeeper spot for me.
asl
Didn't Griffiths get a Welsh u21 call-up while he was with us?
Horteng
All the best Scottie.

Duff made it quite clear post match that he would now look for a replacement

Personally id like to see an experienced keeper not a young one
Robin
Jon Palmers latest article suggests we will go for a keeper that has experience of league football so probbaly worth while looking at league one clubs and 2nd/3rd choice keepers that may want to come and get themselves in the shop window.

What about someone like Aaron Chapman who was at Accrington when they won promotion now understudy at Posh but was sent to Tranmere on loan recently?
Fuller
All the best Scottie. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Ironic it was almost a year ago to the day that Nigel Atangana had his season ending injury at Crawley this time last season.
We'll get through though as we usually do.
kiaora84
Robin wrote:Jon Palmers latest article suggests we will go for a keeper that has experience of league football so probbaly worth while looking at league one clubs and 2nd/3rd choice keepers that may want to come and get themselves in the shop window.

What about someone like Aaron Chapman who was at Accrington when they won promotion now understudy at Posh but was sent to Tranmere on loan recently?
I’d be happy with him. He’s available, Already has a promotion under his belt and played a decent amount in L1 last year. Plus he is huge!
longmover
Does nobody think Lovett can do the job? what's the point of him being no.2 if he's going to get overlooked when required?
Artemis
Lovett's job is as the substitute goalkeeper, not regular starting goalkeeper. He did OK at his job yesterday. Is he good / experienced enough to start regularly and do the job well enough? I don't think so - and I don't think Duff thinks he is either.
longmover
Higgs and Brown were substitute keepers weren't they?
Horteng
Artemis wrote:Lovett's job is as the substitute goalkeeper, not regular starting goalkeeper. He did OK at his job yesterday. Is he good / experienced enough to start regularly and do the job well enough? I don't think so - and I don't think Duff thinks he is either.
At what point do you throw him in though? I agree he's probably not ready yet but does that mean he is unlikely to ever be ready? He seems to of been around a long time
horlickfanclub
I would give Rhys a couple of games. As said above it worked with Brown and Higgs .
Artemis
Horteng wrote:
Artemis wrote:Lovett's job is as the substitute goalkeeper, not regular starting goalkeeper. He did OK at his job yesterday. Is he good / experienced enough to start regularly and do the job well enough? I don't think so - and I don't think Duff thinks he is either.
At what point do you throw him in though? I agree he's probably not ready yet but does that mean he is unlikely to ever be ready? He seems to of been around a long time
He's cheap. And therefore a good value substitute keeper. The evidence of the games he's started suggests he isn't a regular starter in league 2. At least not if we want to stay in the playoff / promotion mix. He may never be good enough to be a regular starter in league 2, but that doesn't mean he can't be a regular on the bench.
Robin
longmover wrote:Does nobody think Lovett can do the job? what's the point of him being no.2 if he's going to get overlooked when required?
I don't believe he's ready especially for a side chasing promotion. He's young and there as short term cover realistically.
Robin
longmover wrote:Higgs and Brown were substitute keepers weren't they?
With Higgs it was clear he was pushing Book hard for a starting spot (there were plenty of fans who wanted him to replace Booky well before he did on here and at games). With Brown he was like a rabbit in headlights for a his first few games but grew in confidence and did well. Lovett is probably more similar to Brown in that regard because I don't believe anyone feels he's ready yet.
Jerry St Clair
Reading have SIX goalkeepers on their books, with two already out on loan. Their third choice is a Portuguese international and fourth choice in an Iceland u21 international.

Don't know if those kinds of numbers are normal but, as mentioned above, indicates that the loan market for keepers should be pretty healthy for Duff to dip into.