THE FOOL ON THE HILL ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

The Old TomCat
Sprout Picker wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:Wehay, the planned new stadium at Eco Park is not being called in by the government.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... fxCQC6cVy2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good news for home and away supporters. :D
What colours are you planning on wearing there?
Forest green of course.
I gave up wearing the Red of Arsenal some years ago.
ctfc-fan
Oh what a mess this could (hopefully) become....!

Let’s hope they don’t add anything bad to the incinerator on match days!
Ben3
Local rivalry and joking aside - their fans must be equally thrilled and terrified. The real ones I mean, not the new hangers on.

It is so reminiscent of rushden and diamonds (amongst others). Remember their chairman declaring how they'd go through the leagues? How he was committed to the long term? Looking at nene park a few years back was a message to all football fans.

Hold on tight FGR, and hope for the best!
longmover
just imagine if all those people who have commented on DV's facebook post actually went to watch FGR? :lol:
King giraffe iii
Ben3 wrote:Local rivalry and joking aside - their fans must be equally thrilled and terrified. The real ones I mean, not the new hangers on.

It is so reminiscent of rushden and diamonds (amongst others). Remember their chairman declaring how they'd go through the leagues? How he was committed to the long term? Looking at nene park a few years back was a message to all football fans.

Hold on tight FGR, and hope for the best!
There are many people, myself included, who are far from thrilled by the news. What's there for anyone from Nailsworth, or with roots there, to celebrate? The football club is being uprooted from the community to be dumped in the middle of nowhere. DV likes to make out he's doing the local community a service, but he's not. This isn't about FGR, it's about him, the publicity he receives and his businesses.

If anyone is pleased by the news then they need to be really careful what they wish for. That new stadium isn't going to be cheap.

It really is a depressing time to have FGR loyalties.
King giraffe iii
longmover wrote:just imagine if all those people who have commented on DV's facebook post actually went to watch FGR? :lol:
I didn't bother to read it as I can't face the smug photo or his almost certainly smug words. :lol:
Robin
Using the Rushden example if I recall Max Griggs was actually a really good owner in the meaning that he invested his own money and when he decided he could no longer do that he had a two year handover to ease the funding burden and reduce overheads. The problem was really what came next, they had no real fan base and as soon as the good times stopped crowds plummetted and they spiralled out of the league. No doubt in my mind the same fate is awating Fleetwood, FGR and Salford it's just a matter of when.
Chris FGR
Difficult to feel happy about this, as although I'm sure it will be a great facility it isn't home, and unlike the current ground my understanding is it won't be tied to the club, in effect making us tenants. Even with the best will in the world that's a dangerous position to be in.
There are also plenty of other questions around how this is going to be funded, it's a hugely expensive project and is hardly guaranteed to be profitable, so given Ecotricity's accounts there must be some sort of outside investment involved/envisaged.

The lack of legacy left behind in Forest Green, the clubs home for 130+ years is also very disappointing.
Ralph
Robin wrote:Using the Rushden example if I recall Max Griggs was actually a really good owner in the meaning that he invested his own money and when he decided he could no longer do that he had a two year handover to ease the funding burden and reduce overheads. The problem was really what came next, they had no real fan base and as soon as the good times stopped crowds plummetted and they spiralled out of the league. No doubt in my mind the same fate is awating Fleetwood, FGR and Salford it's just a matter of when.
Crawley too maybe
Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:Wehay, the planned new stadium at Eco Park is not being called in by the government.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... fxCQC6cVy2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forest green of course.
I gave up wearing the Red of Arsenal some years ago.
I was on about your players, not you! :lol:

Genuinely feel for your proper long term supporters, like Chris FGR and KG3, being uprooted from the club's traditional base. This is not going to end well.
The Old TomCat
Sprout Picker wrote:
I asked Dale V at a public meeting if he will be retaining the Forest Green Rovers name and he confirmed he will be doing so.
So team's shirts will remain Green.
Si Robin
Ecotricity FC doesn't have quite the same ring I suppose.
Ralph wrote:
Robin wrote:Using the Rushden example if I recall Max Griggs was actually a really good owner in the meaning that he invested his own money and when he decided he could no longer do that he had a two year handover to ease the funding burden and reduce overheads. The problem was really what came next, they had no real fan base and as soon as the good times stopped crowds plummetted and they spiralled out of the league. No doubt in my mind the same fate is awating Fleetwood, FGR and Salford it's just a matter of when.
Crawley too maybe
Crawley are an interesting one - they came up like a Fleetwood, Rushden, FGR et al, but their money men left years ago and they're still doing ok. They're now more of a Morecambe sized club. They were another team with a similar non-league history to us as wel.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Difficult to feel happy about this, as although I'm sure it will be a great facility it isn't home, and unlike the current ground my understanding is it won't be tied to the club, in effect making us tenants. Even with the best will in the world that's a dangerous position to be in.
There are also plenty of other questions around how this is going to be funded, it's a hugely expensive project and is hardly guaranteed to be profitable, so given Ecotricity's accounts there must be some sort of outside investment involved/envisaged.

The lack of legacy left behind in Forest Green, the clubs home for 130+ years is also very disappointing.
Surely this partnership is with a view to Candriam raising investment funding for the new stadium and business park etc?

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/may-2019/new ... y-candriam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ctfc-fan
Griggs has no choice. He made some very bad choices in business and this caused his empire to collapse and the club with it.
longmover
Didn't his wife tell him to stop putting money into the club?
ctfc-fan
longmover wrote:Didn't his wife tell him to stop putting money into the club?
Not sure about that but he failed to see what was happening with the footwear market and whilst those competitors around him started to import rather than manufacture, he didn’t and also bought factories up with the employees that went with it. This was his downfall as they couldn’t compete.