Playing out of the back Man City Style

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Id like to know the stats on this tactic and how it improves the teams chances of creating a goal scoring chance at this level. I see it that you have possession unlike the lottery of a goal kick but as we saw getting this tactic wrong normally leads to one thing happening.

For me the negatives outweigh the (potential) benefits (at this level)
Nesty
I call it Chuckle Brothers football.......... to you, to me, to him.... but it is effective and wears the opposition down
Hubert Parry
I recommend this short video (skipping the first 15 seconds) as a useful guide as to why teams adopt this tactic. Most teams now do it and we did win League Two by doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0CceOu3sak&t=56s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fundamentally, it is about control and cohesion. A lot of (if not most of) the work on the training ground is about rotations and these are best employed when the team has control of the play. We also do not have the aerial presence up front or in midfield to win aerial duels.

We tend to vary it anyway and having Owen Evans with his excellent distribution is a massive asset in this regard.

Ultimately, this has happened once and we have an excellent defensive record. This will happen from time-to-time but the benefits outweigh the risks as we do have ball playing defenders who are good enough to play this way. Unfortunately, individual errors happen regardless of whether we play out from the back or not, and sometimes they will lead to goals.
longmover
Hubert Parry wrote:I recommend this short video (skipping the first 15 seconds) as a useful guide as to why teams adopt this tactic. Most teams now do it and we did win League Two by doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0CceOu3sak&t=56s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fundamentally, it is about control and cohesion. A lot of (if not most of) the work on the training ground is about rotations and these are best employed when the team has control of the play. We also do not have the aerial presence up front or in midfield to win aerial duels.

We tend to vary it anyway and having Owen Evans with his excellent distribution is a massive asset in this regard.

Ultimately, this has happened once and we have an excellent defensive record. This will happen from time-to-time but the benefits outweigh the risks as we do have ball playing defenders who are good enough to play this way. Unfortunately, individual errors happen regardless of whether we play out from the back or not, and sometimes they will lead to goals.
Very informative video, thanks Parry, will definitely give watching them a different aspect now identifying whether the team (players) are doing what they should be in regards to this style of play. I;m still very wary of this style of play as we just don't score many goals at the moment.
Hubert Parry
No worries - it is a very good channel.

It might be a bit unfair, but I think for large parts of last season, we used this tactic effectively to get the ball into positions that would coerce the opposition into either giving away a corner or a throw-in in Tozer territory!
Shade
We don't score many goals but most games last season and on Saturday we created a lot more chances than the opposition. That we don't take more of them is down to a lack of natural finishers, not the way we play. If we played a different way we would probably still struggle to score, but would have less of the ball and less chances as we are not physical enough for it in front of our defence.