We go with what we have

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Having listened to WE interview it would appear that whoever we had in mind for midfield isnt going to happen
So where do we rank the important position
CB Midfield or up front
give it until the day the window shuts and then what
2 loans or 1 loan and 1 perm or a bit more
2 loans would take us over the limit but I cannot see J Taylor being a regular so having 6 loans would not be a problem

Signings on 31st August will take a month to get match fit even if doing 30 minutes on the pitch
It seems like we were holding out for someone in midfield who has now disappeared off the radar
I thought we had a list so move on
I would like to see a experienced defensive midfielder who can boss the game but I dont suppose there are any available that we can afford

So we go with what we have
Robin
I think it's clear we have a target in mind for the midfield slot and we've been patiently waiting for the costs to come down. The telling part from me is both Jon and WE let it slip that it's an experienced player which is crucial for this squad. It's clearly going to be someone not wanted by their current club and on decent wages by our standard so most likely he's at one of the bigger league one teams or maybe a Salford/Mansfield type club in the league below. It could even be a player at say a Reading, Birmingham or Rotherham but I'd be more doubtful there. I haven't heard any names but Ryan Broom is plausible in my opinion.

Irrespective of that signing I believe we need a striker and a centre back to come in. More quality right down the spine of the first eleven and let some of those players like drop to the bench occasionally. We cannot simply go with what we've got so next week is likely to be busy and I see 2-3 coming in and 2-3 going out.
Robin
I wonder if this guy was a target for us https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62430848 fits our recruitment profile.
Warwickshire Robin
Interesting article on available Free Agents on the Bristol World website in relation to Rovers but could also contain names we might be considering?

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/foot ... et-3810932

A few names here who may fill the 'experienced' player role?
Robin
Jimmy Phillips or Anthony Pilkington both names I think we could be interested in. Sam Winnall been on trial at Grimsby so would think he's below us.
Warwickshire Robin
Could this be the permanent midfielder we are looking to sign?!

https://the72.co.uk/2022/08/24/peterbor ... r-old-ace/
Si Robin
I'll believe it when I see it - I don't see us a) being able to offer a fee for a player and b) being a club that Broom wants to go to (or able to afford his wages).
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 12:59 I'll believe it when I see it - I don't see us a) being able to offer a fee for a player and b) being a club that Broom wants to go to (or able to afford his wages).
Yes I doubt it is us but you never know. I believe I read somewhere a little while ago that Peterborough still owe us money from when they bought him from us so the fee may not be that much of an issue?

In terms of him wanting to come or not, he seems to have burned his bridges at Posh by turning down moves elsewhere (Mansfield and Burton I think?) so he needs to move and maybe a move closer to home and to a club he knows well and was quite successful at may tempt him?
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 12:31 Could this be the permanent midfielder we are looking to sign?!

https://the72.co.uk/2022/08/24/peterbor ... r-old-ace/
Bit of a paradox describing him as an ace, but he is not wanted
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 12:59 I'll believe it when I see it - I don't see us a) being able to offer a fee for a player and b) being a club that Broom wants to go to (or able to afford his wages).
My understanding is we did have money for fees this summer but I do wonder if we spent that on signing Ferry and Norton.
slinky_dog
I understand why one has to be patient in waiting for a parent club to release a loan signing. So be it.

But I find this permanent midfielder that has been on the cards for weeks quite peculiar. Why drag on this long. He is either available or not. And if he is hanging on for a better deal elsewhere, not sure if we want him.

I would be delighted if it was Broom though.
everyman
Just sign this lad who played for Salford last season- Stephen Kelly ?
QED
slinky_dog wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 18:04 I understand why one has to be patient in waiting for a parent club to release a loan signing. So be it.

But I find this permanent midfielder that has been on the cards for weeks quite peculiar. Why drag on this long. He is either available or not. And if he is hanging on for a better deal elsewhere, not sure if we want him.

one reason that might make sense to me is that the player has better paying options in the league below and is trying to get us to improve our offer to match as they’d rather play in League One.

Alternatively it’s a player at an upcoming opponent who won’t release him until after we’ve played them. Or it was Pell, we missed out and now we‘re on to Plan B/C/D.
andgarod
I had thought it was someone who would be released by his club ( with payoff) and then sign for us
But if a fee has been agreed then we are being manipulated
If that is so he better be good and hit the ground running
Can someone still put up the money and get a % if player sold on?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
QED wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:44
slinky_dog wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 18:04 I understand why one has to be patient in waiting for a parent club to release a loan signing. So be it.

one reason that might make sense to me is that the player has better paying options in the league below and is trying to get us to improve our offer to match as they’d rather play in League One.

Alternatively it’s a player at an upcoming opponent who won’t release him until after we’ve played them. Or it was Pell, we missed out and now we‘re on to Plan B/C/D.
Someone like this? http://d3d4football.com/afc-wimbledon-h ... r-signing/
Robin
I did wonder if it could be Tunnicliffe but he also has offers from the US.

I also don't believe it will be someone whose current club is going to terminate the contract as that would have happened ages ago. At best they'd allow them to leave for free or more likely a reduced fee (see Broom).
Robin
QED wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:44

I doubt there are many clubs in the league below playing much more than us, namely the money clubs like Salford, Mansfield and Stockport. Of course some of the relegated sides like Crewe/Gillingham/Wimbledon but I believe all three had low budgets for this league (just like us). Either way it will be a player who is not in the plans of their current club and they want to get off their wage bill, I suspect the player is either holding out for a pay off (with contract termination) or doesn't want to take a pay cut (likely the case with Broom) to come here.
QED
QED wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:44. Or it was Pell, we missed out and now we‘re on to Plan B/C/D.
It was Pell. We move on.
Robin
Pell doesn't make a lot of sense, we have Adshead and Sercombe in that position. We need a creative player to replace Callum Wright.
kiaora84
Nothing personal, but Pell is a bang average L2/NL player imo. Shows the odd glimpse of something, but he’s massively overrated here.

He’s a good character and that’s carried his football career. It’s no coincidence he moves on after a season or two. Glad we haven’t resigned him, it would of been a step backwards
Horteng
kiaora84 wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 19:50 Nothing personal, but Pell is a bang average L2/NL player imo. Shows the odd glimpse of something, but he’s massively overrated here.

He’s a good character and that’s carried his football career. It’s no coincidence he moves on after a season or two. Glad we haven’t resigned him, it would of been a step backwards
Agree with this. He was great for us albeit an NL and L 2 level. He is older now and we have moved up through the leagues. It would of been a step back
Broadway Brian
Horteng wrote:
kiaora84 wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 19:50 Nothing personal, but Pell is a bang average L2/NL player imo. Shows the odd glimpse of something, but he’s massively overrated here.

Agree with this. He was great for us albeit an NL and L 2 level. He is older now and we have moved up through the leagues. It would of been a step back
I tend to agree re Pell but I understand why we were after that profile of player.

Box to box drive and leadership on the pitch.

Sercombe can’t do it all by himself all season. He wasn’t guaranteed a starting place last season but is likely first name on the team sheet this season. And he also is a year older.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
When Blair is fit I would put him in the midfield three.
Fuller
Horteng wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 06:28

More of a case of what we can afford I would expect. Most players at this level that would improve our team are out of our price range.
Hence the reason we sign NL players from Torquay and Halifax, or young lads from EFL clubs who are usually either released or secured for a nominal fee.
Probably why we haven't signed anyone already, waiting for that last minute bargain.
Last edited by Fuller on 27 Aug 2022, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 08:49 When Blair is fit I would put him in the midfield three.
If Blair is able to continue playing.......
Nesty
we seem to have gone for quantity rather than quality -