Matty Blair retires

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Injury forces Matty to hang up his boots. Such a shame for all. Been a great part of our recent success.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/septembe ... etirement/
HamTown
I was expecting some bad news but not to this extent

Been one of my favourite players in recent years, hope he does well in whatever path he takes
Warwickshire Robin
Sad news but something I think we may have been expecting since the summer. Excellent servant to the club and done us proud.

A lot of clubs these days take on recently retired players to coach particularly in the Academies, if it was something he was interested in maybe in the near future he could come on board to keep him involved?

Thanks and Good luck Matty in whatever you decide to do in the future.
Nesty
Good luck Matty -
Jerry St Clair
Bless you Matty. Thanks for the memories. One of them is up there with the greatest CTFC moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNzBdzoZiOM
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would rank Matty in the top two best CTFC right backs alongside Jerry Gill.
Shade
Yes, this didn't come as a huge shock this morning in all honesty. The lack of any kind of news about it weeks into the season other than Wade saying nothing new was known about it kind of indicated this is how it was going to go.

Thanks for a couple of great, if not the best, seasons, Matty. Sad we won't get to see him bombing down the wing again.
voiceofreason
I can only echo what has already been said. Since his injury there has been a noticeable absence of energy and drive down the right hand side of the field. Although his delivery was not always on the money, every other part of his game far outweighed the negatives. He made us a better team. Good luck Matty and thank you for your part in our recent success.
little mo
Good luck Matty,and thank you.
Sprout Picker
Real shame to lose him in this way. A very consistent performer, good pace and chipped in with a few goals too. Hope he gets a good reception later.