Cheltenham Town v Cambridge United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/CamUHome
HamTown
Was hoping to see brown make a start
Shade
I was hoping to see Olayinka but head not even in the squad. May only on the bench with a niggle as well. But Jackson and Sercs back, and Ferry in for Williams, whose form hasn't been great. Broom in behind the strikers, where he's best.
Alf
We really have to start taking the few early chances we create. It’s so frustrating when the opposition get one chance and put it away.
HamTown
This ref...
Alf
We’re just so slow, it’s painful.
Alf
Great goal. Hopefully this will lift us.
HamTown
Alf wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 20:09 Great goal. Hopefully this will lift us.
Certainly seems so
Alf
Brilliant striker’s goal Alfie. Congrats on breaking the record!
Much needed result, well done lads.
Last edited by Alf on 13 Sep 2022, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nesty
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Out of the bottom 4 - well done lads !!!!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fantastic.

Sercombe and Broom stepped up to drive the midfield.

Freestone a rock at the back (my MOTM). Taylor and Perry quietly classy on the ball always looking to pivot and play forward.

I have to admit, after 30 mins I was close to giving up - not just tonight but on the whole season. How silly I was. Great turnaround by the players.

Out of the relegation zone now, sandwiched between FGR and the Gas. Game on.
PittvillePundit
Something deeply satisfying about a one nil down HT, 2 1 win.

Deserved imo. Better team.

Well played lads.
paperboy
Three tremendous goals in a match big on effort and otherwise low on quality.

Thank goodness for big Dan's moment of magic which pulled Radio Glos commentators out of their usual descent into a spiral of doom whenever we fall behind. 😀
robinsrule
Massive win!! Well done boys 💪🏻💪🏻
okusman
Standing on the terrace behind Ndululu as he set himself. A goal that wouldn’t be out of place in the Champions League.
Alfie’s goal was about tenacity, but equally an excellent finish.
The passing around at the back was often due to no midfielder dropping in to pick up the ball. It might be a bit ponderous and possibly frustrating, but there were very few times when I thought we’d loose the ball.
Also worth saying that Cambridge had very very few chances.
Caleb Taylor won 95% of his headers.
I also agree that Freestone was excellent. He looks confident.
I’m afraid that Longy’s lack of pass was the reason for their goal.
It’s only one win, but it was good to feel the energy and enthusiasm of the team.
little mo
Well done lads,massive 3 points. Onwards and upwards.
Shade
Firstly - thank f#!$ for that. Always felt like we could win it if we just sped things up a little and we did. Needed the wonderstrike from Dan to get us really going though. Very happy with the win.

Secondly - the movement in midfield and up front was atrocious until Alfie came on and Broom dropped a bit deeper and began to find some space. The amount of times everyone in front of the defence was standing still or walking was criminal, really. Couple that with Long (and a couple of others for sure) taking forever and a day to decide what to do with the ball instead of playing quick passes to a man in space, who was then marked, and it was becoming a frustrating watch. I get keeping the ball at the back and trying to move the oppo about and that is fine - certainly better than hoofing it forward to players that don’t win long balls very often and it coming straight back at us - but for Gods sake, if a man is free get it to him quick. Jackson could have had the ball and made 20 easy yards down the wing several times but was ignored for dithering followed by playing it back where it came from.
Broadway Brian
Shade wrote:Firstly - thank f#!$ for that. Always felt like we could win it if we just sped things up a little and we did. Needed the wonderstrike from Dan to get us really going though. Very happy with the win.

Secondly - the movement in midfield and up front was atrocious until Alfie came on and Broom dropped a bit deeper and began to find some space. The amount of times everyone in front of the defence was standing still or walking was criminal, really. Couple that with Long (and a couple of others for sure) taking forever and a day to decide what to do with the ball instead of playing quick passes to a man in space, who was then marked, and it was becoming a frustrating watch. I get keeping the ball at the back and trying to move the oppo about and that is fine - certainly better than hoofing it forward to players that don’t win long balls very often and it coming straight back at us - but for Gods sake, if a man is free get it to him quick. Jackson could have had the ball and made 20 easy yards down the wing several times but was ignored for dithering followed by playing it back where it came from.
Bob on. It was the same for large swathes v The Vale but good to see they worked it out today.

Taylor is immense and so calm. Him or Sercombe MOTM for me today but also great to see Freestone growing in confidence, responsibility and authority with every game. He’s becoming quite a leader out there.

Get in. Great night.
Si Robin
Caleb Taylor is something special. If he carries on progressing then there's no reason he can't get international honours.
Benctfc
Definitely a game of two halves. Surprised how Cambridge backed of us second half we seemed to have a 10 minute spell of keeping possession which gave us some confidence and then looked a different team.

I thought we looked much better with the change of formation and 4 at the back. Worth remembering when the 5 at the back was brought in we had Tozer,Raglan,Boyle who arent very mobile defenders. With Taylor and Freestone you would like to think they would suit 4 at the back. I would like to see it tried especially at home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 06:59 Definitely a game of two halves. Surprised how Cambridge backed of us second half we seemed to have a 10 minute spell of keeping possession which gave us some confidence and then looked a different team.

I thought we looked much better with the change of formation and 4 at the back. Worth remembering when the 5 at the back was brought in we had Tozer,Raglan,Boyle who arent very mobile defenders. With Taylor and Freestone you would like to think they would suit 4 at the back. I would like to see it tried especially at home.
Four at the back, as suggested on this very forum:

viewtopic.php?t=30426

Starting with a back four would also allow us to get Olayinka in the starting line up alongside the three who started last night. I wouldn’t want to lose either Broom, Perry or Sercombe from the side but would want Olayinka in.

A back four also means we don’t persist to play Long at centre back.
Warwickshire Robin
Really good night and a deserved win. Thought even in the first half we were the better team but yet again the opposition score with about their only shot on target. Like RCS I was beginning to think about writing off the season after half an hour, I've seen enough relegation seasons in my time to recognise the signs and being behind again when playing well is one of them.

However, credit to the players and staff for keeping it going and changing it round. The defense again impressed, the wingbacks actually got forward, shame Ferry had to go off injured he looked good until Smith threw him into the hoardings, how he got away without a booking for that is amazing although with Stroud as the ref nothing should really surprise.

The midfield looked more energetic especially in the second half, Serc's probably shaded MoM for me and I thought Broomy was excellent. His movement is something that we have been sorely missing until now and his partnership with Alfie will be worth watching as they are both sharp and showed signs last night of being on the same wavelength. Surprised Lloydy got the nod over Charlie after him scoring two in two, something not quite right there?

Lots to be positive about, lets hope what is becoming a nice little run can be kept going on Saturday at Accrington.
everyman
Benctfc wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 06:59 Definitely a game of two halves. Surprised how Cambridge backed of us second half we seemed to have a 10 minute spell of keeping possession which gave us some confidence and then looked a different team.

Wade reacted to Cambridge playing three up front to match up to our defence,by going to a four.
joes dad
No complaints from the opposition, fair play to Mark Bonner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgtAMqGF-M
longmover
After Dan's goal we looked a different team shades of the 1st half against Peterborough, the build up play for May's offside goal was insane.

The team can do it Wade just needs to get them to do it regularly and not needing flashpoints in games to trigger it.

There needs to be a conversation regarding Long, completely done for their goal couldn't even get close to foul him, teams are going to exploit this so needs addressing quickly.
Sprout Picker
everyman wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:17

Wade reacted to Cambridge playing three up front to match up to our defence,by going to a four.
Did we actually switch to a four? No mention on the Radio Glos commentary and watching on iFollow it looked like Broom switched to the right when Jackson went off and then Long went there later when Raglan came on.
Red Duke
longmover wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:49 After Dan's goal we looked a different team shades of the 1st half against Peterborough, the build up play for May's offside goal was insane.

The team can do it Wade just needs to get them to do it regularly and not needing flashpoints in games to trigger it.

There needs to be a conversation regarding Long, completely done for their goal couldn't even get close to foul him, teams are going to exploit this so needs addressing quickly.
Surely it was the job of RWB to mark their winger and not allow Long lack of pace to be exposed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 10:28
longmover wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:49 After Dan's goal we looked a different team shades of the 1st half against Peterborough, the build up play for May's offside goal was insane.

Surely it was the job of RWB to mark their winger and not allow Long lack of pace to be exposed.
In both the previous two seasons it has been those balls inside and behind the wing backs which have caused us problems. I wouldn’t blame it all on the wing back as it is a flaw in the formation.

Late on we saw Williams coming out from the back line to face up and make tackles, whereas when the wing backs are up high they have to chase back to do that (see BW’s debut red card) if the centre backs aren’t able to come out and do it.

Re Charlie Brown. Wade had been clear before his fitness is still not there and it will be a slow-ish recovery. Just be patient.
Red Duke
I wasn't saying it was all the RWB's fault. When a team has a speedy winger (he seemed a lot quicker than many) that you need to adjust your tactics accordingly.

I assume that was done after the goal as he never seemed to be involved in the game afterwards. Maybe CUFC just didn't pass the ball to him!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 11:54 I wasn't saying it was all the RWB's fault. When a team has a speedy winger (he seemed a lot quicker than many) that you need to adjust your tactics accordingly.

I assume that was done after the goal as he never seemed to be involved in the game afterwards. Maybe CUFC just didn't pass the ball to him!
Yes good point. I think as the game went on Taylor and Freestone were definitely coming out to cover space and tackle more, and Perry was like a young Esteban Cambiasso, dropping in spaces between/in front of defenders to mark and make tackles. Maybe that nullified the Cambridge threat.
Horteng
joes dad wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:29 No complaints from the opposition, fair play to Mark Bonner
Refreshing interview I thought and a nice mention for Matty Blair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Also interesting to hear Bonner talk about how much running and intensity our players had, and our press. Suggests the new signings are starting to gel and getting up to the levels Wade demands.
paperboy
Horteng wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 06:27
joes dad wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:29 No complaints from the opposition, fair play to Mark Bonner
Refreshing interview I thought and a nice mention for Matty Blair
Yes, agree Horteng.
From League One downwards most managers and players live in the real world, unlike some top,top managers and players who think they are movie stars with egos to match.
Shade
Sprout Picker wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 09:40
everyman wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:17

Did we actually switch to a four? No mention on the Radio Glos commentary and watching on iFollow it looked like Broom switched to the right when Jackson went off and then Long went there later when Raglan came on.
Was definitely a 4. Broom was floating around. Sometimes he was on the right causing an overload with Long and Norton, sometimes he was in the middle trying to feed Alfie. He did seem to have an eye on getting back and helping down the right wing though when necessary.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned - I believe Nlundulu now has 4 yellow cards (3 of them for really stupid things) after 8 games, so one away from a suspension ALREADY.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 11:09

Re Charlie Brown. Wade had been clear before his fitness is still not there and it will be a slow-ish recovery. Just be patient.
I'm also assuming he wanted a player who would try to jump and win headers up front, and Lloyd was the only available forward for this, as Dan is only interested in bringing the ball down or flicking it on when the ball is perfect for him to do so (slight exaggeration). I don't think I've seen him go for a proper header yet.