Micky Moore decision

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
longmover
All a bit odd.
Si Robin
Is it?

FGR came in for him, we let him talk to them, we probably increased his wage a bit, he decided to stay?

What's odd?
little mo
Good. Anyone who says "no thanks" to stale mince is a top man in my book. Not just that though,he seems to be doing a good job.
Sprout Picker
little mo wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 10:20 Good. Anyone who says "no thanks" to stale mince is a top man in my book. Not just that though,he seems to be doing a good job.
Agree. Very pleased to see him stay at the club, the whole operation seems better on the football side since he's been here.
Broadway Brian
FFG
paperboy
Si Robin wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 10:04 Is it?

FGR came in for him, we let him talk to them, we probably increased his wage a bit, he decided to stay?

What's odd?
Agree with that.
Would have been a little surprising for someone to leave to join a smaller, albeit ambitious club.
He's clearly good at his job so it wouldn't be a surprise if other opportunities don't present themselves to him in the future.
In the meantime he will have received an improved contract which might include a compensation package for the club.
Shade
Put a smile on my face.
longmover
To me if an employee is openly courting a local rival then would presume he's willing to leave his current employment (for whatever reason), professional football is a public sphere so all this is out in the open. Is the relationship going to be the same now this has happened?
Nesty
Good news that he is staying.

First job for him is to find an out of contract striker to cover Alfie's absence and Dan N's return to his parent club.
Si Robin
longmover wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 12:55 To me if an employee is openly courting a local rival then would presume he's willing to leave his current employment (for whatever reason), professional football is a public sphere so all this is out in the open. Is the relationship going to be the same now this has happened?
Other than it being played out in public, is it any different to a normal workplace?

A few years ago my home circumstances changed which meant I needed to be earning more money, I therefore applied for jobs at other insurers (I work in insurance) who were likely to offer me more. My team leader got wind of this and we discussed why I was applying elsewhere and what the company could do to help me. I pointed out to them that I was happy at the company, but I simply needed to be earning more money, and that until the company could pay me what I felt I was worth (or what I could get elsewhere) I had no option but to look at other options.

I was promised a payrise if I could ride out the next couple of months. Annoyingly, Covid then hit and we started working from home - though in a way this helped because working from home saved me a lot more money and I was able to work around my issues. My payrise didn't come through at first, in fact it didn't come for 2 years, however I'm still at the original company earning what I feel I'm worth and my relationship with said company is stronger than ever - touch wood.

Now, admittedly, my circumstances might well be very different to Mickey Moore's, but I think the principal is the same. He's on a finite amount of money, if someone wants to pay him more than we can afford then, as long as we're rightly compensated, who are we to stand in his way, and he'd be a fool to not want to talk to other clubs.

It's easy to forget that this is just his job - he's not a fan.
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 12:55 To me if an employee is openly courting a local rival then would presume he's willing to leave his current employment (for whatever reason), professional football is a public sphere so all this is out in the open. Is the relationship going to be the same now this has happened?
Exactly no matter how some may gloss it up he wants away. All the best, bye
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 13:41
Other than it being played out in public, is it any different to a normal workplace?

A few years ago my home circumstances changed which meant I needed to be earning more money, I therefore applied for jobs at other insurers (I work in insurance) who were likely to offer me more. My team leader got wind of this and we discussed why I was applying elsewhere and what the company could do to help me. I pointed out to them that I was happy at the company, but I simply needed to be earning more money, and that until the company could pay me what I felt I was worth (or what I could get elsewhere) I had no option but to look at other options.

I was promised a payrise if I could ride out the next couple of months. Annoyingly, Covid then hit and we started working from home - though in a way this helped because working from home saved me a lot more money and I was able to work around my issues. My payrise didn't come through at first, in fact it didn't come for 2 years, however I'm still at the original company earning what I feel I'm worth and my relationship with said company is stronger than ever - touch wood.

Now, admittedly, my circumstances might well be very different to Mickey Moore's, but I think the principal is the same. He's on a finite amount of money, if someone wants to pay him more than we can afford then, as long as we're rightly compensated, who are we to stand in his way, and he'd be a fool to not want to talk to other clubs.

Oh so my taxes and the now inflation looked after you, so glad to hear it. Worst thing we ever did was ball out xompan9es and employees I lockdown. Better still NO lockdown
Ihearye

Oh so my taxes and the now inflation looked after you, so glad to hear it. Worst thing we ever did was ball out xompan9es and employees I lockdown. Better still NO lockdown
ctfc-fan
Good man!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FGR obviously couldn’t persuade him it was worth the move. We were the better option. One day a better option may come along and he goes. The only reason recruiters and head hunters will contact him is if he is doing a good job. And that’s what we want him to be doing. Don’t see the problem. That’s how business works.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 16:12

He said he worked from home, not that he was furloughed. So not sure what your taxes have to do with it.
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 16:12

There will come a time when people will actually read what's posted.

Not that it is any business of yours, but as RCS says, I was not furloughed, in fact I had no time off at all over lockdown. I, now let me put it so you can understand it,

WORKED FROM HOME!!!

I still am working from home for all but two days a month, and I will continue to work from home going forward.

I'd say I await your apology, but let's be frank, you're more likely to double-down and point out that by working from home I'm also in the wrong somehow.
Ihearye
did I mention furlough? it is the work from home mentality that has got us to where we are today and all paying for it. Get people back to work in their place of work, get productivity up and growth up. So the taxpayer bailing out companies etc helped your circumstances, the option to walk away is always there. if you don;t feel valued walk. if it takes your company to only act under threats - should you be there? just asking
CS85
I was furloughed for 15 weeks,full pay sat on my arse at home,boozing and getting take aways.
Great times.
Si Robin
CS85 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 18:37 I was furloughed for 15 weeks,full pay sat on my arse at home,boozing and getting take aways.
Great times.
Yes, but thanks to Ihearye, and only Ihearye of course, you're still here to tell the tale.
ctfc-fan
Ihearye wrote:did I mention furlough? it is the work from home mentality that has got us to where we are today and all paying for it. Get people back to work in their place of work, get productivity up and growth up. So the taxpayer bailing out companies etc helped your circumstances, the option to walk away is always there. if you don;t feel valued walk. if it takes your company to only act under threats - should you be there? just asking
Working from home isn’t a bad option at all for some people and actually makes sense, however it does affect some other companies when their customers work from home, but it’s not the be all and end all you make out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 19:10
Ihearye wrote:did I mention furlough? it is the work from home mentality that has got us to where we are today and all paying for it. Get people back to work in their place of work, get productivity up and growth up. So the taxpayer bailing out companies etc helped your circumstances, the option to walk away is always there. if you don;t feel valued walk. if it takes your company to only act under threats - should you be there? just asking
Working from home isn’t a bad option at all for some people and actually makes sense, however it does affect some other companies when their customers work from home, but it’s not the be all and end all you make out.
The productivity and profitability at my last place went up during lockdown. I was recruited by a different company 2.5 hrs away and wouldn’t have joined if I had to relocate or go to the office more than 2 days in 10. Some staff go in the office every day, some a couple of times a week, and one pops up working from different cities fairly often. Juniors all got a ~30% pay rise last month such has been their productivity and profitability with the hybrid working model.

One of the key advantages is working when feeling most productive. Eg rather than sitting at a desk half asleep between 2pm and 4pm and going home at 5:30 having underachieved people can have a nap, walk the dog, hoover, have a bath or whatever and then work two hours from 6-8pm or whatever is their most productive time. As long as the deliverables are on time, at the required quality, and profitable and people still make meetings and are contactable then it’s win win.
Shade
Amazing how a thread about Micky Moore choosing to stay at CTFC has descended into a debate (albeit it several v one) about the advantages/disadvantages of working from home. Great work, fellas...
little mo
Shade wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 10:30 Amazing how a thread about Micky Moore choosing to stay at CTFC has descended into a debate (albeit it several v one) about the advantages/disadvantages of working from home. Great work, fellas...
Great work fella i would say.