World Cup 2022

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
One of the joys of working from home is that I can have the matches on in the background. Cracking result for Saudi Arabia over Argentina, earlier! They completely deserved it and the second goal will be a contender for goal of the tournament, for sure.

Tunisia just held Denmark and they deserved at least that. Only a world-class save from Schmeichel in the first half kept them out.

Both those 'minnows' looked technically quite adept and brave enough to try things - and certainly willing to put their bodies on the line. Worlds away from Iran and Qatar who were frankly rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
Same here. I was lucky (!) enough to see the entirety of the 2006 world cup as I broke my foot on the third day /first Sunday and spent 6 weeks off work. Working from home 16 years later, I greatly enjoyed listening to Souness and Keane having a row this morning :lol:

Were Iran rubbish, or England too good? A bit of both but at least we have not had a draw or defeat in a game we should be winning, like Argentina. It's bloody nice the last few tournaments, not struggling like we used to against teams like Algeria, Costa Rica, etc.
asl
Oh, yes... Souness was getting really narked by Keane talking over him!

Shade
asl wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 21:01 Oh, yes... Souness was getting really narked by Keane talking over him!

When he said something like "we know that's you're opinion, you've told us 10 times already, but your opinion doesn't matter" to Keane I nearly lost it. Even better than when Jamie Redknapp and Gary Neville were going at it earlier in the season and Redknapp ended up forcefully telling Neville, who was looking away in annoyance, to look at him while he's talking to him :lol:
paperboy
Watching Morocco v Croatia and does anyone know why Morocco is abbreviated to MAR on the captions?

It might be just me but I've noticed this several times watching EFL highlights and thinking it's a quiz question to guess who I'm watching.
asl
I wondered that! Did you notice that England played IRIRAN, too?

asl
MAR is the FIFA-assigned abbreviation and stems from the French name, Maroc.

asl
The lack of confidence that my German colleagues have about this tournament looks pretty spot on after today's performance. Oh dear, how sad, what a pity. :D

paperboy
asl wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 14:32 MAR is the FIFA-assigned abbreviation and stems from the French name, Maroc.

Ah thanks, mystery solved.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 12:40 I wondered that! Did you notice that England played IRIRAN, too?

Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI)

Same as PRC for China, PRK for N North Korea.
Red Duke
asl wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 15:17 The lack of confidence that my German colleagues have about this tournament looks pretty spot on after today's performance. Oh dear, how sad, what a pity. :D

German has the perfect word for it, Schadenfreude!
paperboy
I must say JP is playing a blinder on Twitter by churning out lots of obscure trivia.

...Who knew that Kieran Trippier's mums cousin once had a dog that was from a litter that was sired by the great grandson of Pickles the dog that found the World Cup trophy? 😉
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 21:06 I must say JP is playing a blinder on Twitter by churning out lots of obscure trivia.

...Who knew that Kieran Trippier's mums cousin once had a dog that was from a litter that was sired by the great grandson of Pickles the dog that found the World Cup trophy? 😉
Been spamming my colleagues WatsApp with JP CTFC related tweets. “It’s never ending” is the reply.
Shade
Wales :lol:

"It's only Iran" when we stuffed them on Monday...
asl
Hennessy = Schumacher

Although, the German keeper got away with it, iirc...

Shade
That England performance seemed very familiar after some of our games this year. Half asleep. Negative as f#!$. Abysmal.
asl
Woy Hodgson-esque.

Nesty
Southgate thought we did well
Shade
Delusional. All the tactical nous of a sloth. Saw his post match presser. Someone asked if he thought the boos were justified or something like that, and he said he didn't think the boos were directed at England!!! Wake up, FFS. Clueless.
Nesty
As much as I dont like the Germans - come on chaps !!
asl
What a difference in the performance of England's midfield tonight against Senegal to that against the USA! Bellingham, Henderson and Foden were all superb.

Should be a cracker against France. Interesting stat: all the French goals have come from three players - England's have come from eight. No reliance on a single Mbappe for England - and I think our squad goes deeper than their's.

Shade
Yep, makes you wonder what happened against the US, and for the first 30-45 mins of Wales and Senegal, when we can just suddenly switch it on and go through the gears in a flash. Maybe Southgate is drumming it in to them to be overly cautious in the early stages to the point that we nearly shoot ourselves in the foot by being caught out in our own half?! Anyway, it's nearly all forgiven...beat Le France on Saturday and we'll all be singing Southgate You're the One, again...

I agree. I won't say it's as simple as stopping Mbappe, because they're a lot better than that, but if we can stop Mbappe without committing too many players to him, then we have a chance. Our current midfield is probably a better unit than theirs has been so far, and I don't think there's much between the defences, in all honesty. The game will either be drab as two teams try to protect their defences or, if the shackles are removed, it will be goals galore. Giroud is a great finisher, but he's not Kane, who can drop deeper, making space and providing a killer pass. They have Mbappe and Dembele, we have Foden, Saka and, maybe most importantly if he can perform like he did yesterday, Mark Bellingham's kid :P

Griezmann is good but he's no Jordan Henderson, based on his performance yesterday...I never, ever thought I would say that. The rest of the France team is solid but nothing spectacular and I think matches up with the England team. I think it will come down to which wunderkind(s) have the better game.
longmover
The one thing that's irking me regarding this WC is the over celebration with the subs/coaching staff et al, this has now become a thing and more than likely been seen in the prem when the WC finishes. The goal celebrations are ridiculous and taking fair too long.
Shade
The Brazil dancing last night was ridiculous. Don't mind a player celebrating however they want (ya know, within reason). Have a little dance celebration. But 5 bloody encores and running around the pitch to do one with the manager...pathetic. I really hope they get a taste of their own medicine at some point. Even if it's by Argentina.

How has it come to the stage that I might actually prefer the Argies to beat Brazil...so many unlikeable players. Neymar, Richarlison, Vinicius apparently, et al, all so arrogant, up themselves and world class divers as well.
longmover
Shade wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 18:05 The Brazil dancing last night was ridiculous. Don't mind a player celebrating however they want (ya know, within reason). Have a little dance celebration. But 5 bloody encores and running around the pitch to do one with the manager...pathetic. I really hope they get a taste of their own medicine at some point. Even if it's by Argentina.

How has it come to the stage that I might actually prefer the Argies to beat Brazil...so many unlikeable players. Neymar, Richarlison, Vinicius apparently, et al, all so arrogant, up themselves and world class divers as well.
Brazil are very easy to dislike, some very unappealing characters.
Shade
Croatia showing that Brazil really aren't that special. Certainly not as special as the pundits on BBC and ITV would like you to believe when they have their masturbatory sessions over them. They're yet to play one of the countries who are thought to be contenders.

And they score just as I post :lol:
asl
Good goal, too. See what Neymar can do when he stays on his feet...

Shade
DANCE CROATIA, DANCE

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And bloody Neymar didn't even take a penalty. What a gimboid.
asl
Brilliant pic at the end of Neymar in tears! Hopefully, we'll have a similar pic of Ronaldo and Pepe crying into each other's shoulder tomorrow night.

longmover
Samba that :lol: :lol:
asl
What a comeback by the Dutch! And the stones on them to try a free-kick like that with the clock already in the red zone!

Shade
Seriously ballsy. The only time during the match the word "genius" should have been used, and yet it was only offered up to Messi several hundred times.

But then the Dutch bottled it by going back to how they were playing before and allowing the Argies back into it. They threw it away. Penalties were never going to be their friend with Martinez in goal for Argentina.
Johnsons Red Army
I thought the refs at the World Cup were meant to be better than non-league standard.

What the hell was that?!?!
asl
Better than the one in the Dutch v Argies match...

Shade
I despise football.

Refs are always s#!t. Cheltenham and England.

I despise football.