Wrexham

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
There's an old adage that says: "the way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one."

BBC News - Wrexham FC: Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney lose £3m
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65142947

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Similar levels to FGR who I recall lost £7.5m in the three years leading up to their promotion season.
Nesty
and look what happened to Rushden when Mrs Griggs told Mr Griggs to stop spending ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
ctfc-fan
Nesty wrote:and look what happened to Rushden when Mrs Griggs told Mr Griggs to stop spending ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That was down to his poor business decisions Nesty. He didn’t see the cheap Chinese imports coming and whilst the other Northamptonshire based shoe manufacturers turned to importing rather than making themselves, he bought their factories and ultimately that was his downfall.
Nesty
yes - there was that aspect as well, it all added to his downfall.
longmover
As much as it pains me to say it, they have the financial clout to deal with this, if they get promoted I would presume they would be selling out most home games and ST sales will be through the roof.

These two guys aren't in it for the long haul, hope the people that are going to be left with this have a plan to deal with the colossal debt they will be left with.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Like FGR, the Club as an entity making losses in non-league is meaningless when owners just keep plugging the gap.

Becomes an issue when entering the EFL and facing SCMP.

FGR were crafty that way….after making £2.5m losses per year for three years (so £7.5m) their last season before promotion was pretty much break even, so the SCMP in the EFL didn’t come as a shock.

Be interesting to see what Wrexham do. I suspect they will do an Ipswich and have one off megabucks shirt sponsorships for individual films or similar, the same way Ed Sheeran changes what he is advertising on Ipswich’s shirts.
Shade
longmover wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 08:52
These two guys aren't in it for the long haul, hope the people that are going to be left with this have a plan to deal with the colossal debt they will be left with.
I thought they were getting them to the Premier League?! ;)

Seriously though, as much as I hate the media simping over Reynolds/Wrexham and, on the days Reynolds isn't around, McElhenney, and them spending their way out of the NL by buying up good L1 and L2 players, they're obviously doing good things for the community there as well as the club. As far as I know, they've finally knocked down that unusable part of the stadium that has been empty for many years with plans to rebuild it, and they probably will be getting 15000 sell outs in League One/Two once it's built, as they're averaging about 10,000 this season. Unlike FGR, they have the fanbase and interest to be a L1 club and, although not a sleeping giant, they have provided the spark that has set fire to the manure that they had been stagnating in. It's causing a bit of a stink, for now, though.
longmover
Shade wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 17:35

Seriously though, as much as I hate the media simping over Reynolds/Wrexham and, on the days Reynolds isn't around, McElhenney, and them spending their way out of the NL by buying up good L1 and L2 players, they're obviously doing good things for the community there as well as the club. As far as I know, they've finally knocked down that unusable part of the stadium that has been empty for many years with plans to rebuild it, and they probably will be getting 15000 sell outs in League One/Two once it's built, as they're averaging about 10,000 this season. Unlike FGR, they have the fanbase and interest to be a L1 club and, although not a sleeping giant, they have provided the spark that has set fire to the manure that they had been stagnating in. It's causing a bit of a stink, for now, though.
Thing is when Reynolds and McElhenney leave so will all the money, not just them but all the financial clout that follows around a Hollywood A lister (high profile sponsors etc) who couldn't care a less about a football club in Wales. Who's going to cover all that when its gone? And lets be fair prior to the those two arriving the managment of the club has been appalling, also a massive risk of some spiv walking in and.... off we go again.
Shade
longmover wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 11:03

Thing is when Reynolds and McElhenney leave so will all the money, not just them but all the financial clout that follows around a Hollywood A lister (high profile sponsors etc) who couldn't care a less about a football club in Wales. Who's going to cover all that when its gone? And lets be fair prior to the those two arriving the managment of the club has been appalling, also a massive risk of some spiv walking in and.... off we go again.
All possible but, at the same time, if they leave with the club in a far better position, league and stadium wise, then who's to say Wrexham will go back to being the shambles it was before? Nothing I've seen from Reynolds or McElhenney (especially McElhenney) suggests they're not in this for the long term or that they would just sell to any old tosser. They have invested too much time, money and reputation in the project for that. All I'm saying is, I think you're doing the two of them a disservice by calling them Hollywood A-listers who couldn't care less about Wrexham.

Once all set on the right path, Wrexham would appear to be much more sustainable than, say, Fleetwood, Crawley or, dare I say it, Cheltenham.
longmover
Shade wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 11:43
longmover wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 11:03

All possible but, at the same time, if they leave with the club in a far better position, league and stadium wise, then who's to say Wrexham will go back to being the shambles it was before? Nothing I've seen from Reynolds or McElhenney (especially McElhenney) suggests they're not in this for the long term or that they would just sell to any old tosser. They have invested too much time, money and reputation in the project for that. All I'm saying is, I think you're doing the two of them a disservice by calling them Hollywood A-listers who couldn't care less about Wrexham.

Once all set on the right path, Wrexham would appear to be much more sustainable than, say, Fleetwood, Crawley or, dare I say it, Cheltenham.
Possible grammar issue but I was referring to the high profile sponsors not caring about the club rather than those two. Though I do have my doubts, these Netflix documentaries following sports clubs are everywhere now and part of me thinks these two have been quite clever in who they have chosen, its quite a unique scenario where as most of the usual sports clubs used are very high profile in the first place where as the two protagonists bring the profile to the situation.
asl
I always think a good gauge is whether the owners turn up all the time for matches. The likes of Abramovic when he was at Chelsea, the Leicester City guys...they were pretty much ever-present. Contrast to the Glazers at ManUre. I think the Wrexham lads fit into the first group and do have a genuine interest in doing the best they can for the club.

longmover
asl wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 13:51 I always think a good gauge is whether the owners turn up all the time for matches. The likes of Abramovic when he was at Chelsea, the Leicester City guys...they were pretty much ever-present. Contrast to the Glazers at ManUre. I think the Wrexham lads fit into the first group and do have a genuine interest in doing the best they can for the club.

they're actors remember.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Wrexham get to the Prem then the sponsors will care.

There’s a real chance, given the way Everton are going, that a Premier League Wrexham could be the second biggest/best team in that area after Liverpool.

I do have a theory that places seem to only ever have a certain carrying capacity for well performing teams.

Bournemouth came from nowhere as Portsmouth collapsed. The North East only ever has a maximum of two of the three in the top flight. Fleetwood rose and Blackpool declined. We rose as Swindon declined. Brentford rose as QPR declined. The West Midlands teams are always counter cyclical to each other. Salford and Accrington have risen as Oldham, Stockport etc have gone. Torquay suffering when Exeter and Plymouth are both in L1 together for the first time for years. Etc.

I think Wrexham could dislodge Everton as right now their respective owners look on different trajectories.
ctfc-fan
Worries me more which way the game is headed with all the Americans taking over our clubs. Won’t be long before games are being played over there and the die hard fans will be missing out or forced to pay vast sums to follow their clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:19 Worries me more which way the game is headed with all the Americans taking over our clubs. Won’t be long before games are being played over there and the die hard fans will be missing out or forced to pay vast sums to follow their clubs.
Yes, that happens I hope even die hards ditch the clubs. The winners of the Championship or whatever will be the de facto Champions of England.

I am also surprised no American or Gulf State has yet tried, or if they have then been successful, paying mega millions to move Rangers and Celtic into the English Premier League.

You’d have thought the SFA, FA and PL would allow it for £50m each.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting article in the Athletic about Wrexham’s accounts.

Summary headlines.

Ridiculous turnover… “the accounts for Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney’s first full season at the helm revealing how turnover soared by 404 per cent to almost £6million, another record for non-League football.”

We already know about the losses….”soaring income levels, however, couldn’t prevent Wrexham from posting a loss of £2.9million, much of which was down to a hike in player wages and football costs as the club chased promotion to the EFL.”

And the directors loans and share investment…..”the joint owners, via The R.R. McReynolds Company LLC, had loaned the club £3.67million, primarily to fund the purchase of the freehold to the Racecourse Ground. Another £1.2million was invested in the form of shares.”

(Note “Under National League rules, all money must be introduced as equity unless the intention is to spend on capital projects, such as stadium expansion or, as in Wrexham’s case, buying back their home ground.”)

Revenue may be even higher in the next accounts…”Not included in this accounting period is the impact caused by the Welcome to Wrexham documentary, which first aired on Disney+ in the UK and FX in the United States during the autumn of 2022.”

Commercial revenue is big….”Sponsorship and advertising also brought in £1.05m. All were substantial rises on the 2020-21 campaign.”

Wage bill bigger than ours?…”leaving the club with a wage bill of £2.5million. Staff numbers across the club rose from 80 to 195.”

Are the directors charging interest on the loans? “Yes. At three per cent over the Bank of England base rate, which at the moment stands at 4.25 per cent. This means the interest on the loans being paid currently is 7.25 per cent. In the financial year to June 30, 2022, the interest charged was £43,679.”

What about other clubs? Wrexham aren’t alone in terms of losses to chase to promotion…..”Stockport County, in winning last season’s National League title, posted a financial deficit of £4.8million in the year to June 30, 2022. Notts County, currently three points adrift of Wrexham in the table, lost £1.7million in 2021-22, while Woking and Chesterfield, third and fourth heading into Easter, lost £965,000 and £2.3million respectively last season.”

Wages and costs expected to be higher in the current season, but so is revenue. And what about next season with the SCMP?…

“Promotion will mean next season having to comply with the EFL’s Salary Cost Management Protocol, whereby League Two clubs are restricted to spending 55 per cent of turnover on wages.

Thanks to the club’s rapidly growing income streams, this shouldn’t be a problem. Even if this season’s wage bill at the Racecourse is, as it seems, in the £3-3.5million bracket, Wrexham would comply thanks to a turnover that already compares favourably to most in the fourth tier.

At a level where the average wage bill stands at a little under £2million and even the most well-supported, like Bradford City, spent £2.3million on salaries in 2021-22, this increased spending power could prove pivotal.”

Kieran Maguire, a lecturer on football finance at the University of Liverpool and the man behind the Price Of Football blog, tells The Athletic: “As financial results, these are fine as long as the owners continue to fund the club..[…].. what this allowed the club to do is spend over £4million on property assets. That is great, as it is setting the club up to become more independent and more sustainable. That can only be welcomed. I’m always happy when money goes into the infrastructure rather than, say, what Everton did by blowing it all on players….The documentary is clearly central to everything. Welcome to Wrexham is great and the club benefits from that via those deals from TikTok and so on. I’d also say the show has a few more series left in it. Going forward, though, the big question for me is whether Reynolds and McElhenney can attract other investors who will want to continue the progress after being seduced by the Disneyfication of Wrexham. That will be key in the longer term.”
Wellwisher
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:05 There’s a real chance, given the way Everton are going, that a Premier League Wrexham could be the second biggest/best team in that area after Liverpool.
No chance (imho). The whole town of Wrexham has only 140k people, meaning eg Tranmere would have a better chance seeing as Birkenhead's a town of 330k people, they have at least as proud a history as Wrexham, and they're right up by Merseyside.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:05 I do have a theory that places seem to only ever have a certain carrying capacity for well performing teams.... ... Brentford rose as QPR declined.
Whether or not your theory holds generally, you've got it badly wrong with that example. For not only are Brentford currently one of an unprecedented 7 London clubs of 20 in the Premier League, but along with Chelsea and Fulham, they're one of three teams in West London alone.

In fact the rise of Brentford is pretty much ALL down to the vision and accomplishments of their owner, in reverse proportion to the rank incompetence of QPR's owners, which completely accounts for the latter's decline. The coincidental fact that they're near neighbours has nothing whatever to do with it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:05 I think Wrexham could dislodge Everton as right now their respective owners look on different trajectories.
Let us assume that Wrexham go up (nailed-on?) and Everton go down (hardly certain), it would still require EFC to suffer another two relegations and/or Wrexham to manage another 2 or 3 promotions to overtake them.

I doubt even the youngest, most optimisitic of Wrexham fans is expecting that anytime soon, maybe even in their lifetime.

And even if it did occur on the field, you simply cannot erase 150-odd years of Everton's history or ignore Wrexham's 150-odd years of mediocrity.

Which is why eg, Sheff Wed's years in League One haven't seen them deserted by fans who are flocking instead eg to Championship Rotherham in their shiny new stadium, a mere 10 miles away.
Wellwisher
ctfc-fan wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:19 Worries me more which way the game is headed with all the Americans taking over our clubs. Won’t be long before games are being played over there and the die hard fans will be missing out or forced to pay vast sums to follow their clubs.
While some of these owners might be thinking along those lines, I seriously doubt they'd get away with it. I mean, you only have to look at the way the die hard fans of the "Big Six" reacted to the proposed European Super League and effectively strangled it at birth - and that was a midweek tournament whose home games would still have been at home (literally), while leaving the Premier League untouched for the weekend.

Indeed iirc, Man Utd fans - long mocked for coming from Surrey/being tourists etc - even got a PL game called off by invading Old Trafford, long before a ball was ever kicked in the ESL.

Most telling of all was the way the owners of the "Big Six" had to issue a grovelling apology to the fans, with the Yanks behind Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool being the most abject. That is something which billionaires with egos as big as their bank accounts never do unless absolutely forced.

Meanwhile PL games, held in ever bigger stadia, routinely sell out every time, at the highest prices in Europe (even the world?), so why "fix it" if "it ain't broke"?

Instead I think American invstors have realised that the European model of "sawker" is simply too strong to be bent to their own US model (essentially franchise-based, without Promotion and Relegation etc) and so are turning back to their own domestic game*, to build up the MSL to compete first with NFL, NBA and Baseball etc, and eventually with European football:
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/how-man ... 707c3d74d0

All of which is a world away from two American actors sticking £3m into Wrexham, to get them back up to League Two!

Sorry. :oops:

* - In terms of womens' football, they're arguably already there or thereabouts.
Wellwisher
I know it's not Wrexham, but on the same day as everyone was getting excited at The Racecourse, things were a little less joyous 25 miles up the road in Flint:

Three arrests made over violence at Flint Town United v Caernarfon Town

Three people have been arrested following crowd trouble that led to a Cymru Premier League game being abandoned at the weekend.

North Wales Police said one "seriously injured" fan had been taken to hospital from Saturday's game between Flint Town United and Caernarfon Town at Flint's Cae y Castell ground.

Two men aged 41 and 19 and a 15-year old male have been arrested.

The disturbance took place around 15 minutes into the match and players were ordered off the field with the hosts leading 2-0.

Caernarfon said two of their fans were injured during the incident.

North Wales Police and British Transport Police were deployed at nearby Flint Train Station to prevent further disorder after the game.

Police also put a 24-hour dispersal order in place in Flint until 18:30 BST on Sunday, giving officers the power to stop any groups from gathering and requiring them not to return.
More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65242296

Barring a (distinctly underwhelming) trip to Carmarthen Town's ground, I don't know anything about the Cymru League. But if this photo of Flint's ground is anything to go by, it's hard to see how/why they got so excited :shock:

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wellwisher wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 16:05 I know it's not Wrexham, but on the same day as everyone was getting excited at The Racecourse, things were a little less joyous 25 miles up the road in Flint:

Three arrests made over violence at Flint Town United v Caernarfon Town

Three people have been arrested following crowd trouble that led to a Cymru Premier League game being abandoned at the weekend.

North Wales Police said one "seriously injured" fan had been taken to hospital from Saturday's game between Flint Town United and Caernarfon Town at Flint's Cae y Castell ground.

Two men aged 41 and 19 and a 15-year old male have been arrested.

The disturbance took place around 15 minutes into the match and players were ordered off the field with the hosts leading 2-0.

Caernarfon said two of their fans were injured during the incident.

North Wales Police and British Transport Police were deployed at nearby Flint Train Station to prevent further disorder after the game.

Police also put a 24-hour dispersal order in place in Flint until 18:30 BST on Sunday, giving officers the power to stop any groups from gathering and requiring them not to return.
More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65242296

Barring a (distinctly underwhelming) trip to Carmarthen Town's ground, I don't know anything about the Cymru League. But if this photo of Flint's ground is anything to go by, it's hard to see how/why they got so excited :shock:

Drugged up/drunk chavs. As as what plague every football match at all levels….just the serious injuries and a very small crowd means the authorities actually do something about it this time.
longmover
I see Mr and Mr rexham have taken a stake in a F1 team, they seem to what a piece of that pie now.
Wellwisher
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:05 I do have a theory that places seem to only ever have a certain carrying capacity for well performing teams...
... Brentford rose as QPR declined.
Not commenting on your general thesis, but QPR's decline has absolutely no relevance to Brentford's rise, which latter is entirely down to the genius ownership of boyhood Bees fan Matthew Benham, who lent the club money on favourable terms from 2005, when the club was supporter-owned. He then bought it out completely, with the supporters' blessing, in 2012, when they were still in the 3rd tier. They have been on a consistently upward trajectory ever since.

Meanwhile, if QPR have been on a downward trajectory in the same period, that is mere coincidence imo, for there are now 7 different London clubs in the EPL (a record, I think?), including Brentford's West London neighbours Chelsea and (a resurgent) Fulham.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:05 I think Wrexham could dislodge Everton as right now their respective owners look on different trajectories.
No idea whether, or how far, Everton will go down, but imo Wrexham are no more likely to establish themselves in the EPL than eg Notts County, Braford City or Oldham Athletic, all of whom have been in the top tier in their time, unlike Wrexham, who have never been at that level.

Indeed, for 80 seasons after they first entered the EFL in 1921/22, Wrexham managed just four seasons in the second tier, 1978/79 to 1981/82. And following their relegation out of the EFL in 2007/08, it has taken them 15 seasons to get back again.

None of which is to disparage their current progress, or discount their chances of further promotions (though the EFL salary cap certainly won't help them). But if your regional theory is correct, history would suggest that there is as much chance of eg Tranmere, just over the water from Liverpool, supplanting an imploding Everton, as Wrexham, who are 45 miles away. In fact there are a number of lower league clubs who are located closer to Goodison than Wrexham.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wellwisher wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 00:31
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:05 I do have a theory that places seem to only ever have a certain carrying capacity for well performing teams...
... Brentford rose as QPR declined.
Not commenting on your general thesis, but QPR's decline has absolutely no relevance to Brentford's rise, which latter is entirely down to the genius ownership of boyhood Bees fan Matthew Benham, who lent the club money on favourable terms from 2005, when the club was supporter-owned. He then bought it out completely, with the supporters' blessing, in 2012, when they were still in the 3rd tier. They have been on a consistently upward trajectory ever since.

Meanwhile, if QPR have been on a downward trajectory in the same period, that is mere coincidence imo, for there are now 7 different London clubs in the EPL (a record, I think?), including Brentford's West London neighbours Chelsea and (a resurgent) Fulham.
No idea whether, or how far, Everton will go down, but imo Wrexham are no more likely to establish themselves in the EPL than eg Notts County, Braford City or Oldham Athletic, all of whom have been in the top tier in their time, unlike Wrexham, who have never been at that level.

Indeed, for 80 seasons after they first entered the EFL in 1921/22, Wrexham managed just four seasons in the second tier, 1978/79 to 1981/82. And following their relegation out of the EFL in 2007/08, it has taken them 15 seasons to get back again.

None of which is to disparage their current progress, or discount their chances of further promotions (though the EFL salary cap certainly won't help them). But if your regional theory is correct, history would suggest that there is as much chance of eg Tranmere, just over the water from Liverpool, supplanting an imploding Everton, as Wrexham, who are 45 miles away. In fact there are a number of lower league clubs who are located closer to Goodison than Wrexham.
Not saying there is a tangible link between QPR and Brentford, just it is a pattern of coincidences.

Torquay sliding as Exeter join Plymouth as established tier 3 sides. Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth….never been more than two in the Prem and Pompey’s collapse coincided with Bournemouth’s rise and Saints’ best finishes. Now finding an equilibrium.

Plenty of north west sides have gone (Oldham, Macc) whilst others have risen (Salford). Blackpool/Fleetwood, Burnley/Blackburn, CTFC/Swindon, the West Midlands clubs, Luton/Watford/MK, east/east anglia.

Generally if you look at most sub-regions they do seem to have a certain carrying capacity… the average position in the pyramid doesn’t change much, with teams rising and others falling or the teams coalescing around their average position.

Your point about London top flight is a good one. Perhaps there has been a polarisation..more in the top flight as Barnet, Dagenham etc go out the league and Charlton and Orient flounder. Plus I think, like the economy as a whole, London is a global football market different to the rest of the country.
longmover
The main BBC website is salivating over wrexhams tour to the US, their games getting reported on their main website. Mullins got nailed by the utd keeper as well so no doubt they'll be a full forensic report by the BBC on how football can be made safer no a wrexham player is going to miss the start of the season.
ctfc-fan
longmover wrote:The main BBC website is salivating over wrexhams tour to the US, their games getting reported on their main website. Mullins got nailed by the utd keeper as well so no doubt they'll be a full forensic report by the BBC on how football can be made safer no a wrexham player is going to miss the start of the season.
It’s absolute BS. What a shame for poor little Mullen. Let’s hope they get relegated back down
Wellwisher
It's easy to mock - as good a reason as any for doing so! - but like it or not, I suspect this Wrexham bandwagon has a way to roll yet.

Three things speak to their favour:
1. Even if this whole Wrexham/Netflix thing was originally just a publicity stunt etc, actors or no, Reynolds and McIlhenny do genuinely seem to have become emotionally attached to the club, and if they stick with it, this will attract new investment eg the local Council giving a big grant towards the building of a big new stand to bring capacity up to 15k(?), or United Airlines - America's biggest - becoming their shirt sponsors;
2. Over in the USA this week, they been playing eg in front of 37k spectators against a Man Utd U-21 team and they are getting a lot of attention, even if 98% of Yanks have no idea what League Two really means:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66291000
3. Most importantly, from that BBC report above: "Turnover is expected to exceed £20m for the first time next season."

It would be funny if they fell on their arse, mind... :D
longmover
wrexham flew to 16 games when they won the national league last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66287294

same old 5hit from these people that claim to be sustainable.

money, money. money.
ctfc-fan
0-2 down at home already! Love it!

Nice one Mo!
Ralph
Don't know if its been mentioned but Billy Waters is playing for Wrexham now. He's in the starting line up today
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Welcome to the EFL. Hot a Hollywood script start, shipping five at home. Tozer found out.
longmover
as a result there's now minimal chatter on wrexham from the bbc.
longmover
back on the main BBC page now after they beat wigan, phew.