Yeovil

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Weeks away from sinking to National League South.

Another of our contemporaries who we have outlived.

They have made some real errors. Not spending a penny on that ground, whereas we have build two new stands and refurbished the hospitality several times.

They got to the Championship with, to be honest, a luckily good group of loans. Then they went full on Martin Allen mode using god knows how many players to try and stay up, and failed. And they never recovered.

Without a suitable ground, facilities or academy they had nothing to fall back on.

They were built on sand, unlike CTFC which is based on more solid foundations.
Shade
They, Torquay AND Scunthorpe all heading down into the non-league wilderness. Shocking mis-management all round.

Wycombe and Burton are much better comparisons to Yeovil, as they also got to the Championship against the odds, but both are still currently League One clubs and doing well/ok. Yeovil did it first, I think, so maybe they were the example of what not to do for the others. Pumping all your money into players is never a sustainable idea. Seems better to accept you're going to sink, take a deep breath and wait to be washed ashore, than flail about throwing money everywhere hoping that it constructs a raft on which to float in the same spot.

Wow, what a metaphor. I need a lie down.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 11:53 They, Torquay AND Scunthorpe all heading down into the non-league wilderness. Shocking mis-management all round.

Wycombe and Burton are much better comparisons to Yeovil, as they also got to the Championship against the odds, but both are still currently League One clubs and doing well/ok. Yeovil did it first, I think, so maybe they were the example of what not to do for the others. Pumping all your money into players is never a sustainable idea. Seems better to accept you're going to sink, take a deep breath and wait to be washed ashore, than flail about throwing money everywhere hoping that it constructs a raft on which to float in the same spot.

Wow, what a metaphor. I need a lie down.
We can’t compete with Burton or Wycombe in terms of commercial/corporate/non-match revenue but they have to be the models we aim for. Helps when you get a free ground and conference venue like Burton did, of course.
asl
From a Yeovil fan:
We were taken over by Scott Priestnall (friends with Jed McCrory, Swindon). Only interested in the land and many fell for his charm before realising his end game was the land. Sold the land to the local council who were complicit in the asset stripping despite warnings about Scott.

No interest in the football side. Sad demise - we thought we’d been rescued recently when Matt Uggla and Paul Sackey took over as ‘stewards’ and now ‘paperwork’ is holding up completion of the change of ownership. We’re worried it’s fallen through or will.

The new ‘stewards’ appear to have put some money in for players, players that the manager disagreed with. He’s now sulking and the stewards can’t sack him as don’t have full control.

A complete bloody mess!
"Friends with Jed McCrory", eh...?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 07:23 From a Yeovil fan:
We were taken over by Scott Priestnall (friends with Jed McCrory, Swindon). Only interested in the land and many fell for his charm before realising his end game was the land. Sold the land to the local council who were complicit in the asset stripping despite warnings about Scott.

No interest in the football side. Sad demise - we thought we’d been rescued recently when Matt Uggla and Paul Sackey took over as ‘stewards’ and now ‘paperwork’ is holding up completion of the change of ownership. We’re worried it’s fallen through or will.

The new ‘stewards’ appear to have put some money in for players, players that the manager disagreed with. He’s now sulking and the stewards can’t sack him as don’t have full control.

A complete bloody mess!
"Friends with Jed McCrory", eh...?

A name to send a shiver down the spine of any football fan.
Nesty
funnily enough I was going to post along the samed lines - Yeovil used to be one of the teams we should aspire to along with Wycombe etc but they have gone from one extreme to the other.
asl
Relegation from the Conference confirmed: Southern League to the Championship and back again in 25 years. Ouch.

ctfc-fan
Mark Cooper doing another outstanding job! I see his son still gets a look in wherever he manages.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 07:37 Mark Cooper doing another outstanding job! I see his son still gets a look in wherever he manages.
Amazing to see how much better Barrow are doing this season compared to when Cooper was close to taking them down.

We have to be grateful really that Cooper was FGR when he was. That was their window of opportunity to leapfrog us as we were rebuilding and reestablishing ourselves in the EFL. But with Cooper in charge that was never happening.