Rumour Mill

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:20
Robin wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:07
1985CTFC wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 12:59 Is DC hinting at a big target man ? Not a goal scorer? Been looking at the goal scorers in Lg2 not many are big target men other than Matt Smith at Salford. Shame he is 34. Worth getting him for 18 months ?
Danny Johnson when I have seen him looks a poacher but not a target man.
Most of the top scores in lg2 are around 30 yrs of age. Not our usual recruiting strategy. But needs must and maybe go for a short term option.
Matt Smith was part of our youth system and went to school at Pates Grammar, we've tried to sign him in the past but I highly doubt it's him now because we will be looking for mobility to support our front press. You only have to see how ineffective we become when Keena comes on that any new striker(s) have to be able to do that part of the game. Clarke also said clearly we want a powerful front player who can hold it up and take knocks for the team so won't be Danny Johnson or Matt Stevens. Presumably we will be paying a fee for this player unless like Swindon it's a club in financial trouble and want to off load one of their higher earners.
I know Matt Smith was at Chelt, so your saying a powerful line leader but not necessarily a goal scorer. Doesn't seem to be one in Lg 2 who does both. A few seem to chip in a few goals.
We are going to hope a line leader will help the others to score goals? Hope so. In DC we trust.
I agree I like the idea of 3 pressing all game, as I have mentioned from day 1, but Goodwin going has put a spanner in the works. Guess we have to see what the 'left winger ' brings to the party as well. Maybe combination (left winger and Forward) of them both can get Lloydy, Street, NBO and Keena banging in a few more goals.
Just my view but I would think the left winger is a replacement for NBO on the bench as we need to chase games.
shevates
Have heard a rumour Owen bevan could be heading to Hibs ?
Broadway Brian
What’s this Ferry to Wycombe claptrap?
QED
Broadway Brian wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 19:51 What’s this Ferry to Wycombe claptrap?
Total fabrication from an X account that only has fake transfer stories
paperboy
Robin wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 14:23
1985CTFC wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:20
Robin wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:07

Matt Smith was part of our youth system and went to school at Pates Grammar, we've tried to sign him in the past but I highly doubt it's him now because we will be looking for mobility to support our front press. You only have to see how ineffective we become when Keena comes on that any new striker(s) have to be able to do that part of the game. Clarke also said clearly we want a powerful front player who can hold it up and take knocks for the team so won't be Danny Johnson or Matt Stevens. Presumably we will be paying a fee for this player unless like Swindon it's a club in financial trouble and want to off load one of their higher earners.
I know Matt Smith was at Chelt, so your saying a powerful line leader but not necessarily a goal scorer. Doesn't seem to be one in Lg 2 who does both. A few seem to chip in a few goals.
We are going to hope a line leader will help the others to score goals? Hope so. In DC we trust.
I agree I like the idea of 3 pressing all game, as I have mentioned from day 1, but Goodwin going has put a spanner in the works. Guess we have to see what the 'left winger ' brings to the party as well. Maybe combination (left winger and Forward) of them both can get Lloydy, Street, NBO and Keena banging in a few more goals.
Just my view but I would think the left winger is a replacement for NBO on the bench as we need to chase games.
Maybe, although I think it might be for if we are chasing a game and flip to 4 4 2 with NBO on the right.
1985CTFC
Broadway Brian wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 15:29
1985CTFC wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 15:18
QED wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 14:45 New left-sided wide player likely to be a loan, Darrell Clarke confirms. Also chasing a centre forward from a League Two club #ctfc

Let’s get those name guessing games going then
Not a guess but Will Evans from Newport would be good. Won't happen though.
Give it a rest Will Evans fan club!

If he comes and is a success, I will walk you up and down Whaddon Road on my shoulders.
This is for you Broadway Brian. He isn't coming to Whaddon Road we all know that. But I did say after seeing him in preseason against us he was good, Go look back if interested. Just watched him verses Man U my instinct was right.
He even scored!!!!!
Good poachers goal tonight. Would have been perfect for us. Fit and strong lad. And scores goals just what we need but sadly that boat has gone now. If he joins a championship club will you put me on your shoulders? :lol:
No need to take the mick again Brian!! I can spot a good un. ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jim wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 17:33
Shade wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 17:19
1985CTFC wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 16:51

Was standout player against us, real handful.
Who? ;)

DC alluded that the "centre forward" would be a big one...or that's where the questioning was trying to lead, anyway - someone to replace Goodwin's ability to win headers and hold up the ball.

Cheltenham boy Matt Smith's still going, 34, at lowly Salford. Scored 15. Same number as one Will Evans. Barely scored for the last month or so though if what I'm looking at is correct. And he wouldn't be doing much chasing down, as is the DC way. Ali Al-Hamadi at Wimbledon, perhaps? Went to them from Wycombe for about £125k a year ago. 21 years old, 6ft, 13 goals and 6 assists.
Al-Hamadi linked with Ipswich, waaay out of our reach I'm afraid.

Matt Smith ticks the big and strong box, but will provide less energy and pressing than Keena.

If you watch the Salford Class of 92 docs they seem to be constantly wanting him out, but always bringing him back into the team and him invariably scoring. Seems a good character though, the most well-spoken footballer ive heard I think!
Pate’s Grammar school Alumni.
RS1978
1985CTFC wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 16:48
Broadway Brian wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 15:29
1985CTFC wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 15:18

Not a guess but Will Evans from Newport would be good. Won't happen though.
Give it a rest Will Evans fan club!

If he comes and is a success, I will walk you up and down Whaddon Road on my shoulders.
Alright alright keep your hair on, if you have any.
We shall see how good he is against Man U on Sunday afternoon.
As I mentioned he won't be coming unless we splash Goodwins money which we won't.
Just an observation on EFL footballers, which I guess we aren't allowed to comment on a forum.
Hasn't done his chances any harm, but the goal against Man U must have added some zeros on the asking price...
plymrob
Pates? Let's just go for CGS - old school, pre 1974. I'd take Matt Smith though.
Robin
A few whispers doing the rounds now, if they are true nobody has guessed right who the league two striker is and issue/delay looks like it's down to fee haggling.
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 21:27 A few whispers doing the rounds now, if they are true nobody has guessed right who the league two striker is and issue/delay looks like it's down to fee haggling.
Just hope they have goals in them
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:A few whispers doing the rounds now, if they are true nobody has guessed right who the league two striker is and issue/delay looks like it's down to fee haggling.
It’s Mullen from Wrexham
asl
ctfc-fan wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 22:12 It’s Mullen from Wrexham
I hardly think anyone would be unhappy with that! Love it to be true, but highly unlikely, I'd have thought.
Shade
:lol: if we sign a striker from a moneybags club that is likely to be in this division next season anyway then I'll eat my phone.
Fuller
Mullin probably earns more in a week at Wrexham than most of our players earn in a month.
Billy Waters could well have been more in our price bracket, but he’s gone to join Grant at Donny Rovers.
ctfc-fan
I was just plucking a name out my ass like seems to happen on here
Robin
Mullin no chance he's on double our highest earners I suspect. One of the names I've heard has played for Clarke before and scored goals at this level before fairly recently dropping down to league two. Probably not the player I would expect if true but clearly someone rated by Clarke and it would not be a cheap signing. The other player is Welsh.
paperboy
Let's float Ellis Harrison who has been told his game time at MK Don's will be limited.

Could he be another " I only came here because of Darrell" recruit.
Si Robin
Ellis Harrison can't play for anyone else this season. He played a couple of games for Port Vale before moving to MK.

Two other names linked to Robin's clues are Jamie Proctor and Dom Telford - both at Barrow, both played in League 1, both have played for DC before..

We've been linked with Telford before.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We’re signing a player. Like Robin, I cannot reveal who it is for reasons of discretion but when we sign them I’ll confirm that’s who I meant all along.
paperboy
Si Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 08:35 Ellis Harrison can't play for anyone else this season. He played a couple of games for Port Vale before moving to MK.

Two other names linked to Robin's clues are Jamie Proctor and Dom Telford - both at Barrow, both played in League 1, both have played for DC before..

Ah thanks Si.
Your sleuthing is clearly much more thorough than mine!

Another name we're linked with is Aaron Pressley at Stevenage on loan. A striker who doesn't score many goals sounds a perfect fit for us.
Si Robin
We're not going to get a prolific scorer. Certainly not from League One or Two, they're simply out of our price-range.

I'd say we're going for a certain type of striker - a workhorse type (akin to Street, Lloyd and Goodwin). I don't know enough about Pressley to comment.
asl
Si Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 09:33 I don't know enough about Pressley to comment.
That's All Right - Welcome to My World.
andgarod
I thought Pressley had left the building :D
horlickfanclub
plymrob wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 17:59 Pates? Let's just go for CGS - old school, pre 1974. I'd take Matt Smith though.
It was CGS after 74. Kieron Hehir and Tony Price played for Cheltenham Town. Both CGS.
QED
paperboy wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 09:29
Si Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 08:35 Ellis Harrison can't play for anyone else this season. He played a couple of games for Port Vale before moving to MK.

Ah thanks Si.
Your sleuthing is clearly much more thorough than mine!

Another name we're linked with is Aaron Pressley at Stevenage on loan. A striker who doesn't score many goals sounds a perfect fit for us.
Pressley is at least young and has been rated highly in the past - if we can unlock the potential then a 200k player becomes worth a lot more. On his loans he’s always been used as a big man up front for knock downs, so not a huge surprise he doesn’t have a big goal pedigree. I can see why Exeter would want to pair him up with Eisa on loan though, classic combination.
1985CTFC
I'll throw a name in to the guessing game...Omari Patrick Sutton Utd

Playing style
Patrick can play across the forward line as a striker or a winger. Upon his signing for Barnsley, Bobby Hassell said "he's quick and strong so he will be a dangerous asset in our attacking play. He is also very hard working off the ball, which is a very important and a valuable skill to have."[11] He has been described by Bradford City Head of Recruitment Greg Abbott as being "lightning quick" and that he "runs in behind [the defence] and is good with both feet".
horlickfanclub
I will speculate on Ollie Palmer if Will Evans goes to Wrexham and not here.
Warwickshire Robin
Played for Darrell before, big no9, played at L1 & L2 level... can only be Tom Pope😜
Robin
I suspect there are a lot of plates spinning right now and we are chasing more than one striker with Street likely out long term. It's going to be interesting to see if any of the names are right.
Shade
Well, definitely not Al-Hamadi. Wimbledon have turned a nice little £1.6m profit on him in 12 months :shock:
Robin
Shade wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 11:58 Well, definitely not Al-Hamadi. Wimbledon have turned a nice little £1.6m profit on him in 12 months :shock:
Free transfer to a deal worth up to £1.7 millon in a year is amazing business although it seems Wycombe have a sizeable sell on fee.
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 11:03 I suspect there are a lot of plates spinning right now and we are chasing more than one striker with Street likely out long term. It's going to be interesting to see if any of the names are right.
Who ever we get he has to be not built of bone china. Has to be mid 20's with a good injury history.. ie (not injured often) 20 21 yr olds not physically mature enough especially upfront. Street and Goodwin both had injury issues can't afford to have that happen again or we will be doomed I say doomed!!!!
If we are chasing 2 then 1 has to be a goal scorer. Someone who has been around the block to pop up and stick away anything in the 6 yd box. 30 plus..I don't care how old just someone to last us to season end with 6 or 7 goals.

Another name to the guess the players quiz....Is a player at Grimsby called Donovan Wilson. Not getting much game time there. 16 appearances and 6 goals. He would perhaps be the extra player after Street injury. 5ft 11inches.
Interestingly wiki says

Wilson began his career at Bristol Rovers, signing a one-year deal at the age of 17 in May 2014; he had spent ten years at the club's academy after signing from Bradley Stoke United at the age of seven.[3] He made the bench at the Memorial Stadium during the 2014–15 Conference Premier promotion winning season, but did not make it onto the pitch for the "Pirates".[5] Manager Darrell Clarke reportedly had planned to give him his debut in one match before realising he had already made his three allotted substitutions.
So DC knows him.

ps scores .83 goals per 90mins. Goal conversion 33%. Dunno why not playing more games with those stats. Worth a shout
Robin
Ok so it seems the information I got was spot on, the two players both have links to FGR one present and one is former. The winger is not English but I wasn't given his name,
CTFCfan99
Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 14:14 Ok so it seems the information I got was spot on, the two players both have links to FGR one present and one is former. The winger is not English but I wasn't given his name,
Doidge?