League One - clubs in crisis

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 21:51 Strong rumours that Reading are close to going down the plughole. Catering staff at the training ground have left and players are eating microwave meals. Office staff are sat in coats because the heating has been switched off. And the club are planning a January firesale of players to help pay the bills. All according to The Athletic.

Lewis Wing, Sam Smith, Harvey Knibbs, Tom Holmes, Nelson Abbey and others all expected to be made available for up front payments.

Relegation is now looking the least bad outcome this season because it would at least mean the club hasn't folded. Hard to see how they wouldn't be absolutely nailed on for finishing bottom if their remaining half decent players leave.
wasn’t really worth it all was it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Also “the November payroll for players being met thanks to a loan from sponsors Select Car Leasing — the second time this season the local firm has stepped in to help avoid another points deduction.”
Artemis
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 21:51 Strong rumours that Reading are close to going down the plughole. Catering staff at the training ground have left and players are eating microwave meals. Office staff are sat in coats because the heating has been switched off. And the club are planning a January firesale of players to help pay the bills. All according to The Athletic.

Lewis Wing, Sam Smith, Harvey Knibbs, Tom Holmes, Nelson Abbey and others all expected to be made available for up front payments.

Relegation is now looking the least bad outcome this season because it would at least mean the club hasn't folded. Hard to see how they wouldn't be absolutely nailed on for finishing bottom if their remaining half decent players leave.
Shame we've played them twice now.
Shade
Artemis wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 14:58

If they go under then everyone will have their points wiped that they picked up against Reading. We'd only lose one point. Quite a few teams would be worse off, even if they have only played them once.
If they don't go under, that's one relegation spot taken, anyway. And as Reading looked the most likely to escape out of the bottom 4, it's all good news for us.
Jerry St Clair
Keep an eye on the game at Reading on Saturday. There is highly likely to be an on pitch demo. Just a question of whether it’s during the game attempting an abandonment or after the game. There is a split among the fan base on this, but disruption during the game will have potentially further repercussions.
Swiss-Robin
Shade wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 16:24

If they go under then everyone will have their points wiped that they picked up against Reading. We'd only lose one point. Quite a few teams would be worse off, even if they have only played them once.
If they don't go under, that's one relegation spot taken, anyway. And as Reading looked the most likely to escape out of the bottom 4, it's all good news for us.
I agree of course.
But I knew many Reading fans down the years. All decent fellas.
Of course, whilst I wish us to stay up, it'd be sad if it was at the demise of Reading's mismanagement. Would be more at ease if we can do this on merit rather than profiting from their misfortune.
Sorry to say, but I feel for their fans at the moment.
ctfc-fan
Swiss-Robin wrote:
Artemis wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 14:58 Shame we've played them twice now.
I agree of course.
Of course, whilst I wish us to stay up, it'd be sad if it was at the demise of Reading's mismanagement. Would be more at ease if we can do this on merit rather than profiting from their misfortune.
But they’ve had their moment of glory from overspending and bad management so they deserve everything they get. They wouldn’t give two hoots about us whilst they’re winning.
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 16:33

I agree of course.
Maybe to ease their sorrow we should just give them back any points deducted. I am sure they were all out on the streets protesting when they were 'winning' points because of spending money they didn't have
Shade
Reading's pitch invasion happened after 20 mins.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 15:37 Reading's pitch invasion happened after 20 mins.
Match abandoned.

Reading fans stayed in the centre circle for more than an hour.
Shade
I don't get it. It's a bit late for this kind of thing and they're just condemning their club to further sanctions.
Robin
It benefits us as you'd imagine they'll get hit with a points deduction now which surely sends them down. Also got to feel for their fans as it will likely force their owner to sell up soon.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 18:35 It benefits us as you'd imagine they'll get hit with a points deduction now which surely sends them down. Also got to feel for their fans as it will likely force their owner to sell up soon.
Probable that Port Vale will be awarded the win. That’s, allegedly, what a Port Vale member of staff told the travelling fans before the abandonment had been officially announced.

Can’t fathom that it’ll be replayed, unless behind closed doors.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 18:35 It benefits us as you'd imagine they'll get hit with a points deduction now which surely sends them down. Also got to feel for their fans as it will likely force their owner to sell up soon.
That's exactly what they want.
ctfc-fan
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Probable that Port Vale will be awarded the win. That’s, allegedly, what a Port Vale member of staff told the travelling fans before the abandonment had been officially announced.

Can’t fathom that it’ll be replayed, unless behind closed doors.
From BBC:

EFL will 'discuss the implications'

"Every effort was made to restart the game," said an EFL spokesperson. "But it became increasingly obvious that this would not be possible. We will now discuss the implications of this afternoon's events with the clubs."

The fixture is likely to be restaged later in the season on a midweek date - but Selles warns that all such talk right now is pure speculation until the EFL have convened a panel to discuss the afternoon's events.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 19:24
Yes I meant bitter sweet in the sense that that this will likely force the owner out but come at the expense of a points deduction which would likely send them down (assuming it's 6points or so).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 20:30
Yes I meant bitter sweet in the sense that that this will likely force the owner out but come at the expense of a points deduction which would likely send them down (assuming it's 6points or so).
They are at the stage where relegation doesn’t matter, I think. I.e. happy to get relegated if it means getting the club back from the owners.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 21:06
Robin wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 20:30

They are at the stage where relegation doesn’t matter, I think. I.e. happy to get relegated if it means getting the club back from the owners.
Yes. The catalyst for this is that over the past week it's become clear that a pattern of events is unfolding that is eerily similar to what happened at KSV Roselare in Belgium - Dai's last club. And he ended up liquidating them. It's escalated fast since the turn of the year and relegation is now a minor concern.
longmover
Dai Yongge’s £50k (suspended) fine has been activated for failing to deposit the monthly wage bill, again this farce lurches on and on. At the back of my mind if Reading are sold and funds are pumped into the club (again) three or four years down the line this will be happening again, meanwhile we could have been relegated instead of these clowns.
Jerry St Clair
Things seem to be bubbling up at Swindon. Fan protests, although isolated, starting up against the owner. Suspicions about cost cutting (Liam Kinsella's move to us being a prime exhibit) unquantified spending on legal fees and, most interestingly of all, the Supporters Trust under fire for being, some fans believe, less that robust the club. More serious accusations are that the Trust is in the pocket of the owners.

A club in turmoil. Watch this space.
Red Duke
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 09:16 Things seem to be bubbling up at Swindon. Fan protests, although isolated, starting up against the owner. Suspicions about cost cutting (Liam Kinsella's move to us being a prime exhibit) unquantified spending on legal fees and, most interestingly of all, the Supporters Trust under fire for being, some fans believe, less that robust the club. More serious accusations are that the Trust is in the pocket of the owners.

Nothing new there. Why does history keep repeating itself with Swindon? Are there no lessons being learnt.
longmover
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 09:16 Things seem to be bubbling up at Swindon. Fan protests, although isolated, starting up against the owner. Suspicions about cost cutting (Liam Kinsella's move to us being a prime exhibit) unquantified spending on legal fees and, most interestingly of all, the Supporters Trust under fire for being, some fans believe, less that robust the club. More serious accusations are that the Trust is in the pocket of the owners.

tat attracts tat, swindon should have been wound up years ago and the ground should be a much needed recycling centre.
longmover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68341348

Just cheat, there really is no penalty for it. second in the league, players you've sold loaned straight back to you, absolutely stinks!!!
bigdavejambo
longmover wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 09:25 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68341348

Just cheat, there really is no penalty for it. second in the league, players you've sold loaned straight back to you, absolutely stinks!!!
a lot of clubs do that to help develop the player if he isnt quite ready for the step up
QED
Yeah, there’s plenty of dodgy stuff around but that Max Bird deal seems fine to me. He’s out of contract in the summer but Derby would get a fee as he’s 23 (similar situation to Will Ferry) - they were prepared to let him run his deal down so long as he didn’t leave in January. This way City avoid competition in the summer and get the deal done so they can plan ahead, Derby get a slightly higher fee than they would later AND keep him until the end of the season.
Jerry St Clair
Torquay United’s owner has walked away and put the club in Administration today. Looking grim for them.
Fuller
Jerry St Clair wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:15 Torquay United’s owner has walked away and put the club in Administration today. Looking grim for them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224

Uncertain futures for Gary, Downesy, Dawson and Asa.
paperboy
Fuller wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:32
Jerry St Clair wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:15 Torquay United’s owner has walked away and put the club in Administration today. Looking grim for them.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68372224.amp
Uncertain futures for Gary, Downey, Dawson and Asa.
Well the owner had put a million pounds per season in for seven years in the hope that he could build a new stadium.
The council weren't playing ball so along with poor performances and the inevitable fan unrest he's had enough, picked his ball up and gone home.
The fans were organising an aptly named " we want our club back" yellow card protest for Saturday so they've got their wish, but they're now thinking "oh sh**, now what".
Doesn't often pay to bite the hand that feeds you.
asl
See also "Other Footy"...
paperboy
duckers
Live fast and Dai Yongge
Uppy
Perhaps looking at it selfishly but seems crazy that three violations in a season only equals a total of six points.
Jerry St Clair
duckers wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:48 Live fast and Dai Yongge
There's an infamous photo of Yongge from about 5 years ago in a pub with fans pre-match with precisely this slogan. Happier times.
Jerry St Clair
paperboy wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:27 Check out this post from EFL https://www.efl.com/news/2024/february/ ... ai-yongge/
Strong words, but ultimately the EFL are completely impotent in dealing with this owner whom their own p!## poor fit and proper person test failed to prevent ruining a football club. A complete omnishambles.
Swiss-Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 16:29
paperboy wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:27 Check out this post from EFL https://www.efl.com/news/2024/february/ ... ai-yongge/
Strong words, but ultimately the EFL are completely impotent in dealing with this owner whom their own p!## poor fit and proper person test failed to prevent ruining a football club. A complete omnishambles.
But, I'm sure most on here would agree with me.
I would much prefer us to survive without taking the points deductions of other poorly run sides into account.