Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FGR’s pitiful opening day attendance.

Accrington had over 2,400 as the next worse.

Bubble bursting up on the hill.
longmover
Vince is the problem, a season of mid table nothing will be the beginning of the end for him (imo)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Real possibility of a three figure attendance at some stage this season.
Wellwisher
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:13 FGR’s pitiful opening day attendance.
I was one of the 1,936, my first (and last) visit to FGR.

Announcer gave the away attendance as 168. Bizarrely enough, a proportion of those chose to stand on the uncovered terrace down the side of the pitch, rather than the covered bit further along, or in the covered stand behind the goal. Do those guys never listen to the weather forecast? Or are they prepared to risk hypothermia or trench foot to save a fiver?

Anyhow, the ground itself was better than I had expected, quite good in fact, seeing as they're still essentially a non-league team, playing on the top of a bloody great hill on the edge of a village. And seeing as it was only built in 2006 and seemed to me to be perfectly adequate for their present (and future?) needs, I really cannot see why they should want/need to move to a brand new stadium in an industrial estate by a Motorway, with no public transport links nearby.

To paraphrase Jim Royal: "Eco-friendly my arse!"

P.S. Their team looked pretty mediocre, Salford's not that much better.
Shade
Wellwisher wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 14:06
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:13 FGR’s pitiful opening day attendance.
I was one of the 1,936, my first (and last) visit to FGR.

Announcer gave the away attendance as 168. Bizarrely enough, a proportion of those chose to stand on the uncovered terrace down the side of the pitch, rather than the covered bit further along, or in the covered stand behind the goal. Do those guys never listen to the weather forecast? Or are they prepared to risk hypothermia or trench foot to save a fiver?

Anyhow, the ground itself was better than I had expected, quite good in fact, seeing as they're still essentially a non-league team, playing on the top of a bloody great hill on the edge of a village. And seeing as it was only built in 2006 and seemed to me to be perfectly adequate for their present (and future?) needs, I really cannot see why they should want/need to move to a brand new stadium in an industrial estate by a Motorway, with no public transport links nearby.

To paraphrase Jim Royal: "Eco-friendly my arse!"

P.S. Their team looked pretty mediocre, Salford's not that much better.
You should (you really shouldn't) go there when there are 1000 away fans crammed on that side terrace like cattle. Were you with the home or away fans? I have been, and every time I've seen anyone describe their own experience (Derby fans, Bolton fans, Charlton fans, etc), they've pretty much mirrored what we experienced - hardly any toilets, no running water, 1 half of a gated exit to get everyone out through, no hot food (not just meat) available in at the away stand, etc. It's nowhere near fit for more than a couple of hundred people at most, that terrace. I have no idea how they're allowed to use it with those facilities.
Chris FGR
Tbf away fans get a covered marquee, beer truck, food van and mobile toilets behind the north stand these days.

The terrace is still mainly uncovered and cramped though. I would personally have carried on housing away fans behind the goal like we used to.
Chris FGR
800 home fans tonight, outnumbered by Pompey. Worrying times for us tbh.
Wellwisher
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:32 You should (you really shouldn't) go there when there are 1000 away fans crammed on that side terrace like cattle. Were you with the home or away fans?
I stood in the Home end behind the goal. It was ok, though when I went at H-T to see what there was to eat/drink, the queue (stood in the open) at the little hutch was far too long.
It was nearly as long when I nipped back to take a look 5 mins into the 2nd half, so I didn't bother. (Hadn't been much bothered in the 1st place, in truth.)

Having ticked the ground off the list, I cannot imagine wanting to go back, short of a particularly attractive Cup match (v.unlikely).

Something else occurs. On driving into Nailsworth from the North, I couldn't see any signs for the Park & Ride, so I stopped at a Shell service station to ask, guy behind the counter didn't know, but others had been asking, and he thought it was further along. Drove on, must have passed it, and ended up in the village instead. Was getting close to k.o., so I thought I'd drive up the hill towards the ground and see whether I couldn't park on the roadside instead. Before I knew it, I was almost at the stadium, so I asked the woman on Parking duty at the adjacent School/Recreation Centre car park where I should go.

She took pity on me and said I could park in there, despite it being "Permit Only", so long as I went through to the very back. There were plenty of free spaces. And not having had to pay anything, I was so pleased I gave her my (non-vegan) chocolate bar from the Shell station. Got away quickly after the game, too.

All of which was a better result than anyone from FGR got that day!
Last edited by Wellwisher on 09 Aug 2023, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
:lol: I hope it was Cadbury's. Sound like it's straight out of one of the adverts
Wellwisher
Shade wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 17:31 :lol: I hope it was Cadbury's. Sound like it's straight out of one of the adverts
I Was a Peanut Chunky KitKat.

Hope the Parking lady isn't allergic to peanuts!
Chris FGR
The park & ride runs from Renishaw’s.
Wellwisher
Chris FGR wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 17:50 The park & ride runs from Renishaw’s.
Aye, I saw that - as I was driving back home after the game.

And then only because I noticed one of the shuttle buses dropping people off.

Ok, there might have been a sign but if so, it wasn't very obvious.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 23:25 800 home fans tonight, outnumbered by Pompey. Worrying times for us tbh.
As worrying as it is embarrassing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1,855 at FGR’s League Two game on the weekend with the away attendance given as 251.

1,604 home fans for a league fixture. Deary deary me.
asl
So?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 16:38So?
Some might be interested?
asl
Sorry, I don't get it. It sounded like you were ridiculing a smaller club for having a low attendance. Given that CTFC have one of the lower attendance averages across L1 and L2, it seemed an odd flex.