RWC 2023

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Well, that was an unexpected win for England! I had zero confidence of winning given the form the two teams had in the build-up - which went into negative territory with the harsh red card for Curry. Fair play, the forwards were magnificent and George Ford's kicking was superb. Argentina went to pieces.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
World Cup rugby is different to regional competitions the random inconsequential tests teams play.

The more established nations always step up like this.

Quarters for Argentina at best; they are the 9th team after the big 8 imo.
asl
Wales v Fiji was a cracking game, tonight - some massive hits that the guys will certainly be feeling come the morning.
Shade
Rugby is down there with my least liked "big" sport, fighting with cycling and tennis probably, but I quite enjoyed that on Saturday night. It's always fun beating the Argies. Even more so when it's basically a stuffing, with a player less for 77 out of 80 minutes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 14:40 Rugby is down there with my least liked "big" sport, fighting with cycling and tennis probably, but I quite enjoyed that on Saturday night. It's always fun beating the Argies. Even more so when it's basically a stuffing, with a player less for 77 out of 80 minutes.
Not the best weekend for you then!

International break void well and truly filled with a cracking Vuelta stage on Saturday, great conclusion to the Tour of Britain on Sunday, plus the US Open finale and RWC.

The only sport I can’t stand which I’d actively switch OFF the TV for, even on a bored wet Saturday afternoon with no football, is rugby league. Annoying because that’s basically the only thing the BBC has regular rights for these days.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 15:31
Shade wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 14:40 Rugby is down there with my least liked "big" sport, fighting with cycling and tennis probably, but I quite enjoyed that on Saturday night. It's always fun beating the Argies. Even more so when it's basically a stuffing, with a player less for 77 out of 80 minutes.

International break void well and truly filled with a cracking Vuelta stage on Saturday, great conclusion to the Tour of Britain on Sunday, plus the US Open finale and RWC.

The only sport I can’t stand which I’d actively switch OFF the TV for, even on a bored wet Saturday afternoon with no football, is rugby league. Annoying because that’s basically the only thing the BBC has regular rights for these days.
Meh, I still enjoy all sport to some degree (except MMA punching some guy in the head while he's on the ground kind of stuff, which I despise) and keep fairly up to date with the goings on, but I did manage to avoid everything except the England rugby without any effort. I spent last weekend sprawled out in a heat coma anyway :lol: I'm very glad CTFC were not playing at home as I reckon I'd have struggled in the crowd.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 13:27
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 15:31

Meh, I still enjoy all sport to some degree (except MMA punching some guy in the head while he's on the ground kind of stuff, which I despise) and keep fairly up to date with the goings on, but I did manage to avoid everything except the England rugby without any effort. I spent last weekend sprawled out in a heat coma anyway :lol: I'm very glad CTFC were not playing at home as I reckon I'd have struggled in the crowd.
Quite like watching MMA when I catch it.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 22:15 Well, that was an unexpected win for England! I had zero confidence of winning given the form the two teams had in the build-up - which went into negative territory with the harsh red card for Curry. Fair play, the forwards were magnificent and George Ford's kicking was superb. Argentina went to pieces.
Their use and length of the caterpillar ruck is becoming a bore and embarrassing
asl
I thought there were new laws coming in relating to that caterpillar tactic? I guess it's up to the referee to say "use it!" a bit more promptly.
Ihearye
He can't say use it when it is only half way down the caterpillar. I can see the sense in allowing one person to tag on the end, but England were having 3 in the caterpillar which is akin to the argue tactic of mot contesting f#!$ and then running round and getting the ball. It's in the rules but at what cost do you do it
Ihearye
Going pretty much to plan
asl
Cracking good game last night between the Irish and the Boks. Great watch as a neutral (although don't tell my Galway-born wife I was a neutral...)
brastor
A strong performance from the forwards and George Ford's precise kicking can certainly turn the tide in a match. It's always exciting when a team exceeds expectations, especially in the face of challenges like a red card.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Poor Ireland. Peaked too soon.

The Southern Hemisphere’s day today.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 21:19 Poor Ireland. Peaked too soon.

The Southern Hemisphere’s day today.
I would stick to your digital stats and metabolic figures if I were you, better team won on the night, nothing to do with peaking early or late, Two world class teams having a go at eachother
Red Duke
Can anyone explain to me what the role of a hooker is within the scrum in modern day rugby?

He doesn't seem to need any hooking skills as the scrum halves just feed the second row,
asl
When I was at school, the ball had to be put into the scrum straight, too. I guess if you don't have to do that, any more, there's no need for the hooker to hook it.
Red Duke
asl wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 16:19 When I was at school, the ball had to be put into the scrum straight, too. I guess if you don't have to do that, any more, there's no need for the hooker to hook it.
That's how I remember it and the ref blowing for it not being straight.

They used to talk about "one against the head" when the opposition hooker managed to hook the ball back to his second row.

Current practice seems to negate the point of having scrums.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cream rising.

NZ, England and South Africa have made up 11 of the 18 finalists since the Rugby World started.

There’s only been one final ever without at least one of those nations in it. And, with no disrespect to Argentina, there should be two in this final.
asl
Brilliant bame, tonight. No way England's slow game will cope with the pace and power of the Boks, I'm afraid. I'm astonished to have gotten this far but NZ v SA should be a cracking final.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 21:54 Brilliant bame, tonight. No way England's slow game will cope with the pace and power of the Boks, I'm afraid. I'm astonished to have gotten this far but NZ v SA should be a cracking final.
Depends if England can bring SA down to their level and find a way to frustrate them.
longmover
One thing I have noticed during this WC is the amount of chat the ref gets from players (of all teams), I'm not a huge rugby fan but watch enough to notice it. Players used to hear what the ref said then walk away (muttering under their breath) now they seem to be barking at the ref and linesman non stop. All tier one teams have their serial whiner in place from the off.

Rugby is becoming more and more like football and its happening very quickly, also see 'gamesmanship'
asl
Agreed. I commented to my missus last night that I thought there was more back-chat against the ref than normal. This is not soccer... (sounds best in a Welsh accent.)
Shade
Bold claim that anything sounds better in a Welsh accent.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 06:50
asl wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 21:54 Brilliant bame, tonight. No way England's slow game will cope with the pace and power of the Boks, I'm afraid. I'm astonished to have gotten this far but NZ v SA should be a cracking final.
Depends if England can bring SA down to their level and find a way to frustrate them.
Almost.
longmover
if anyone wanted a testimony for being in the lead at the 'right time' that semi final was it.
asl
I once had a badminton coach tell me that the first point of the game was the most important to win. I don't think he ever used that line again when I pointed out that surely the last point was more important...
Malabus
Been a great WC…the QF weekend was top notch viewing.
asl
It's been a lot better than CWC23, that's for sure...
Shade
asl wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 13:19 It's been a lot better than CWC23, that's for sure...
Has it started? Someone better tell the England players before it's too la- Oh, nevermind.
Shade
Back to the eggball, one of the things I dislike about this game is how often forward passes seem to happen and go unpunished. Last night the Argies scored a try which I could see during normal play was a forward pass. Then the video ref seemed to spot it before the conversion and actually had a look on the video but still thought nah f#!$ it, Try. Isn't the first rule of rugby that you can't pass forward?! I know VAR in football is s#!t but that is the simplest rule to enforce, surely. Especially when it was so blatant.
asl
I called that forward pass in real time during the build-up. Was shocked when it was brushed away. Didn't matter in the end, but itbwas a strange decision.
Shade
I see Wayne Barnes has retired now, citing online abuse and death threats after the final as a big reason. And here was me thinking rugby was supposed to be a gentleman's game without the issues that football suffers from.