Hands up

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Hands up if you are not a trust member and if not why?
Ihearye
andgarod wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 06:30 Hands up if you are not a trust member and if not why?
I am not, for the reasons declared on another thread.
In short not actively deciding not too. Just haven't had and still don't have a clue what the end game is. Fine example was Si pointing out it was my 500 club money that bought the groundkeeping equipment when I presumed it was the trust.
Not adverse to joining of I have an idea of why I am joining
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 08:05
andgarod wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 06:30 Hands up if you are not a trust member and if not why?
In short not actively deciding not too. Just haven't had and still don't have a clue what the end game is. Fine example was Si pointing out it was my 500 club money that bought the groundkeeping equipment when I presumed it was the trust.
Essentially, the more members the Trust has the more money it raises to buy shares in the club and the more influence and clout it has.

It’s easier for the Board to dismiss the Trust and FED if it represents 50 people than if it has 500 or 5,000 members.

As also outlined on other threads, the aim is to firstly raise enough capital to get a second FED on the Club Board and more long-term raise enough that CTFC becomes majority fan-owned.

The best way for you to help shape direction of the Trust and influence the ‘end game’ is to join.

Membership starts from £10 per year: https://www.robinstrust.org/join/

Given regular complaints about the CTFC Board, £10 a year is not a lot to help fans have more say in how the club is run.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 08:52
Essentially, the more members the Trust has the more money it raises to buy shares in the club and the more influence and clout it has.

It’s easier for the Board to dismiss the Trust and FED if it represents 50 people than if it has 500 or 5,000 members.

As also outlined on other threads, the aim is to firstly raise enough capital to get a second FED on the Club Board and more long-term raise enough that CTFC becomes majority fan-owned.

The best way for you to help shape direction of the Trust and influence the ‘end game’ is to join.

Given regular complaints about the CTFC Board, £10 a year is not a lot to help fans have more say in how the club is run.
Surprised it is as little as this.
Think I can enrol other members of the family then. However we are still left with a) The FED not being able to feed back to the trust in the detail many seem to desire. Strange as it seems the employees have had recent decisions explained, then the press are told. And I know collective responsibility has been talked to death ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 09:10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 08:52

Surprised it is as little as this.
Think I can enrol other members of the family then. However we are still left with a) The FED not being able to feed back to the trust in the detail many seem to desire. Strange as it seems the employees have had recent decisions explained, then the press are told. And I know collective responsibility has been talked to death ;)
Sign the whole family up!
Robins Trust Chair
Thanks for the sales pitch RCS, the fiver is in the post :D.

Just in terms of the feedback loop. The FED is able to feed back more to the Trust board, than he is able to say in public.

But our own confidentiality rules prevent that from necessarily being made public. The Trust is a legal entity in its own right with a set constitution and rules, as per any other 'business'.

I suppose the way to look at it is, the FED is able to take counsel from the Trust board and use that in his deliberations on the CTFC board. The Trust board's job is to hold him/her to account and ensure the views of supporters are taken into account.

Any Trust member can stand for election to the Trust board (more on that later this week...). The Trust board can be as many as 16 members (as per our rules).

In reality, we have always been closer to the lower limit of six.

It would be great if more people stood to be elected at this year's AGM. All our meetings are held online, and we have current board members in Cornwall, London and France. So location is not an issue.

Meetings - where decisions are taken - occur once a month and last around two hours (starting at 8pm). And, as a board we are in constant communications with one another (the FED included) on an online discussion app.

It is a commitment in terms of time and effort, and it can be a thankless task at times, but better to be inside the fence and able to communicate, than outside it throwing stones?

And that communication will only get stronger come the King's Speech, the establishment of the Independent Regulator and an official, constituted, Fans Advisory Board.
DWx3
Another plug for the trust here.

It's an absolute no brainer if you consider yourself a supporter. I can't think of a single reason NOT to join.

A tenner a year is nothing.

Consider it from the club's point of view. How seriously are they going to take the Trust if they only have, say, 500 members? Now imagine how seriously they would take the Trust if they had 5,000 or 10,000 members.
Ihearye
Robins Trust Chair wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 10:30 Thanks for the sales pitch RCS, the fiver is in the post :D.

Just in terms of the feedback loop. The FED is able to feed back more to the Trust board, than he is able to say in public.

But our own confidentiality rules prevent that from necessarily being made public. The Trust is a legal entity in its own right with a set constitution and rules, as per any other 'business'.

I suppose the way to look at it is, the FED is able to take counsel from the Trust board and use that in his deliberations on the CTFC board. The Trust board's job is to hold him/her to account and ensure the views of supporters are taken into account.

Any Trust member can stand for election to the Trust board (more on that later this week...). The Trust board can be as many as 16 members (as per our rules).

In reality, we have always been closer to the lower limit of six.

It would be great if more people stood to be elected at this year's AGM. All our meetings are held online, and we have current board members in Cornwall, London and France. So location is not an issue.

Meetings - where decisions are taken - occur once a month and last around two hours (starting at 8pm). And, as a board we are in constant communications with one another (the FED included) on an online discussion app.

It is a commitment in terms of time and effort, and it can be a thankless task at times, but better to be inside the fence and able to communicate, than outside it throwing stones?

And that communication will only get stronger come the King's Speech, the establishment of the Independent Regulator and an official, constituted, Fans Advisory Board.
Not sure how the logistics (or the powers that be backing it), but the option to add £10 for the Trust membership when purchasing your season ticket would be much easier ?
Robins Trust Chair
Ihearye wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:55
Not sure how the logistics (or the powers that be backing it), but the option to add £10 for the Trust membership when purchasing your season ticket would be much easier ?
We've tried that in the past and in a pre-digital world, it was something that was incredibly difficult to monitor - and for us to retrieve our money from!!

Now that we're successfully digitised and the club's process is too - it's definitely something worth revisiting.
Lord Elpuz
I am a Trust member - however, not in the name I go by on this Forum 😉

I absolutely endorse the positive comments about being a Trust member.

“Join the Trust and gain the Trust in your Club, CTFC fans”.
Swiss-Robin
How much is this in Swiss Francs?

The GBP is worthless toilet paper here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Swiss-Robin wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 17:52 How much is this in Swiss Francs?

10 GBP is currently about 11.1 CHF.

So 1.1 CHF to the GBP. Barely more than 1 to 1.

Pretty much the same as when I was in Zurich last December.
Swiss-Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 18:13

1.11! As much as that?

I was getting not 1.11, but around 1.70 when I came here in 2009.

Nice job Tory party👍
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 18:35

1.11! As much as that?

Nice job Tory party👍
I do hope they remember to address the swiss franc exchange rate in the next manifesto , most concerning. By coincidence I was looking last week at some Euros invoices from just before the 2010 election and it was lower than it is now. Swings and roundabouts
Swiss-Robin
Ihearye wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 19:33

1.11! As much as that?

Nice job Tory party👍
I do hope they remember to address the swiss franc exchange rate in the next manifesto , most concerning. By coincidence I was looking last week at some Euros invoices from just before the 2010 election and it was lower than it is now. Swings and roundabouts
Pants!!!

When the Euro was invented, was around 1.45.

UK shafted as always.
London Exile
If someone signs up now are they able to vote in the upcoming Trust AGM?

I’ll be honest I let my membership lapse as I’ve not seen the point in the Trust. For one I don’t believe the club values or respects the Trust and I feel the club controls the Trust to a degree plus there’s other things but I guess not joining only aids that!

What’s the current Trust member count and what number of members realistically needs to be achieved for the club to start listening?
Fuller
London Exile wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 20:09 If someone signs up now are they able to vote in the upcoming Trust AGM?

I’ll be honest I let my membership lapse as I’ve not seen the point in the Trust. For one I don’t believe the club values or respects the Trust and I feel the club controls the Trust to a degree plus there’s other things but I guess not joining only aids that!

What’s the current Trust member count and what number of members realistically needs to be achieved for the club to start listening?
Around 250 I understand.
Probably about 2,500.
Ihearye
I know it is on a thread somewhere, but could you post a link to the application form or maybe pin it to the forum as per the 500 club?
leohoenig
Jerry St Clair
Isn't it true that Trusts thrive in adversity or, indeed, existential crisis?

AFC Wimbledon, FCUM, Bury and now Southend. Notwithstanding the on field problems, there isn't a hate figure (like a Glazer) or an imminent threat of extinction (like Southend) to galvanise our support. So, however brilliant the Robins Trust is, I suspect it might struggle to transformatively increase numbers beyond the current base in the current relatively stable climate.
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 20:05
Ihearye wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 19:33
1.11! As much as that?

Nice job Tory party👍
Pants!!!

When the Euro was invented, was around 1.45.

UK shafted as always.
Haven't checked but don't think the Tories have been in power since then, I was merelyobservibg what it was when power last changed hands and that it has improved slightly. No more than that
andgarod
There will be a sudden rush if we pull Chelsea or Manu or Liverpuddle at home in the 3rd round of the cup
Lets hope we get past 1st round
Ihearye
Is there any way one can get round the 'you have already joined ', so as to sign up on behalf of family members?
plymrob
I too was thinking about maybe blaming the Tories... But, on reflection, it might just be we are not very good at the moment...?

We surely need someone here to work on the Labour/Tory in Government stats, vis a vie, Cheltenham's progress down the years..? It would surely be great to politicise our rubbish start to a season... and thereby add a new dimension to the current dilema...

COYR
asl
plymrob wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 15:41 I too was thinking about maybe blaming the Tories... But, on reflection, it might just be we are not very good at the moment...?

We surely need someone here to work on the Labour/Tory in Government stats, vis a vie, Cheltenham's progress down the years..? It would surely be great to politicise our rubbish start to a season... and thereby add a new dimension to the current dilema...

COYR
Nonsense. It's global warming. Keena is Irish. The Irish have evolved to be waterproof. Extended hot and dry conditions do not favour such evolutionary dead ends - ergo our lead striker is clearly being disadvantaged.
plymrob
TRUST: I just tried to re-sign-up and I'm told I already belong? I did so for a quite a few years (plus my son) - mainly for progression in the FA Cup ticket priority game...BUT inspite of the internet feedback, I'm not so sure I am still signed-up...?

Prompted by this thread.... but - let's face it... FA Cup progress has long since disappeared as very likely... I'm thinking Birmingham, Wolves, Brighton, West Brom., Fulham, Burnley, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Southampton... (Everton?) - not in that order. Happier days///
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maybe Trust Chair can ask people like PlymRob and ihearye to send email addresses by Private Message and try to assist?
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 16:54 Maybe Trust Chair can ask people like PlymRob and ihearye to send email addresses by Private Message and try to assist?
Asked in the open in case the reply helped others
Si Robin
plymrob wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 16:11 TRUST: I just tried to re-sign-up and I'm told I already belong? I did so for a quite a few years (plus my son) - mainly for progression in the FA Cup ticket priority game...BUT inspite of the internet feedback, I'm not so sure I am still signed-up...?

Prompted by this thread.... but - let's face it... FA Cup progress has long since disappeared as very likely... I'm thinking Birmingham, Wolves, Brighton, West Brom., Fulham, Burnley, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Southampton... (Everton?) - not in that order. Happier days///
What an extremely strange thing to say. How has FA Cup progress very likely disappeared? The Fulham game was played in a season in which we finished 14th in League 2. The Southampton game came in a season when we finished 17th in League 2. The last time we played Brighton in the FA Cup we were in the same division as them and we had a bigger ground than them. Bournemouth came in our first season back in the Southern League - if you want to return to that division, then more fool you.

The joy of the FA Cup is that clubs can go on a run despite their league performances.

Jesus - it's bad enough people are writing off the League season with 37 games left to play, let alone writing off the FA Cup before the 3rd qualifying round has even been played.
plymrob
My apologies. I was just cheering myself up! I'd be very happy to stay in League One (or, dare I say it, Two) over an FA Cup run... But it is surely quite hard to be too optimistic for this season just now?

"Happier days"? I'm still thinking not a totally invalid throw away line on the back of those memories...? (For me, it was Brighton in non-league days too).
Si Robin
plymrob wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 17:54 My apologies. I was just cheering myself up! I'd be very happy to stay in League One (or, dare I say it, Two) over an FA Cup run... But it is surely quite hard to be too optimistic for this season just now?

"Happier days"? I'm still thinking not a totally invalid throw away line on the back of those memories...? (For me, it was Brighton in non-league days too).
I am genuinely the most optimistic I have been about this season since just ahead of our game against Bolton.

I refuse to be downhearted right now - life is too short, and there is still plenty of the season to go. If we're writing off the season already, what's the point in turning up week to week.
plymrob
Hoped to find the Brighton FA Cup programme (1970 - lost 4-0) - but it's in the loft (and my son has borrowed the ladder!).
I have one full Robin's mixed (home & away) match programme binder folder to hand...

And, because it caught my eye, I was going to scan and submit Leek-v-Chelt (29 Nov 1997 - 0-0) but cannot find a way(?). But, let's face it, it's a good reminder of the ups and downs in football...
leohoenig
If anyone is having trouble registering, or is unsure if they are a member, then please use either
info@robinstrust.org or members@robinstrust.org

We will then get back to you. Don't expect an immediate answer, but we will be quicker than an insurance company that promised to call me back.