All seats sold

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
The official site said that all seats were sold out
A few comments
there were a lot of Derby fans all over the stands
I believe those that were in hospitality boxes/seats were told to shut up
I couldnt believe how quiet the away end was but then they could not beat little old CTFC

There were a fair number of empty seats in the CF stand especially block1
I suppose they were all at the literacy festival :lol:
Anteros
There were loads of Derby fans in hospitality and main stand.
It didn't bother me because we played well and got a point but I wouldn't have been happy if they were thrashing us and they were all singing and chanting and gloating.
But all good money for the club
Broadway Brian
andgarod wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 08:00 The official site said that all seats were sold out
A few comments
I couldnt believe how quiet the away end was but then they could not beat little old CTFC

Always will be the case in block 1 and 2 as they are kiddies who pay 50p for a season ticket so it’s not the end of the world to miss a game for whatever reason: playing football, open days, work etc

It still flabbergasts me that they don’t go behind the goal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 08:53
andgarod wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 08:00 The official site said that all seats were sold out
A few comments

Always will be the case in block 1 and 2 as they are kiddies who pay 50p for a season ticket so it’s not the end of the world to miss a game for whatever reason: playing football, open days, work etc

They go in block 1 so the noise can be heard around the ground and to be audible alongside the away fans.

No point the singers going behind the goal when the noise made there can’t be heard at the half way line.
robinsrule
Plus the view is truly shocking from behind the goal - you can’t see anything that’s going on at the far end of the pitch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 09:16 Plus the view is truly shocking from behind the goal - you can’t see anything that’s going on at the far end of the pitch.
Good point.

So in conclusion, if you want to support the team and create an atmosphere whilst also being able to see what is going on then Block 1 and 2 is better than going behind the goal.
ReturningRed
I was in CF6 surrounded by dcfc fans. I think I was the only one that celebrated the Ctfc goal! I also got a few lairy comments of which I reiterated to the derby fans that if they don’t want to see Ctfc fans celebrate a Ctfc goal then they should sit in the derby end 😁

The dcfc fans were absolutely rattled all game by the ref and southwood et al. It was akin to a mourinho masterclass in managing time effectively 🤣
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 09:12
A few comments

They go in block 1 so the noise can be heard around the ground and to be audible alongside the away fans.

No point the singers going behind the goal when the noise made there can’t be heard at the half way line.
I sit in block 5. Can barely hear them. It’s about 5 metres closer than behind the goal.

That’s fine, reduce income in return for a quiet murmur. Careless whisper.
Robin
Certainly no Derby fans behind the goal yesterday and we made good noise.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 10:52

I sit in block 5. Can barely hear them. It’s about 5 metres closer than behind the goal.

That’s fine, reduce income in return for a quiet murmur. Careless whisper.
The distance is irrelevant. It might only be 5 metres but the point is the noise behind the goal doesn’t travel due to the acoustics of the roof. It can be the busiest and noisiest atmosphere in there and the rest of the ground doesn’t know.

At least when Block 1 sing it can be heard in the CF stand - obviously if they don’t sing or are out-sung by away fans in Block 7 or 8 that’s a different point.

I’m glad they are in the CF.
paperboy
A few comments

Maybe my suggestion that if the noise from the PRE could be amplified that would solve the acoustics issue which raises its head from time to time.
In my uneducated brain that would be much easier than raising the roofline which seems bonkers to me, but perhaps it wouldn't be feasible for unknown reasons.
Garby74
I was chatting to a couple Derby fans in the bar near CF at half time.

Really nice guts with nothing but praise for Cheltenham and our fans.

He was complaining that at home the fans are always on the players back. Some Derby fans don't grasp the fact they nearly wentboutbif business and operate on a shoe string (albeit much large boots than us !)
Often they struggle to get tickets in away the if smaller clubs.
Jerry St Clair
The good people of Cheltenham have proven time and again that they are apathetic towards their club.

So, Derby fans can fill their boots with spare tickets for the home end. It’s all extra cash for the coffers. Hopefully they spent in the bars and kiosks too.

There was a dad and his two lads, both in Derby shirts, in block 2 and, frankly, they couldn’t have been more welcome.
robinsrule
Kind of underlines my previous points - we are playing Derby County at home for the second time in our history on a (kind of) equal footing and - regardless of form and league position - we can only muster up about 3500 fans. Meanwhile, we can only look on in envy as towns like Ipswich with about double our population attract 30,000 to home games…. I think we could probably increase attendances by about a thousand with more seats but that’s about our limit.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 18:48 Kind of underlines my previous points - we are playing Derby County at home for the second time in our history on a (kind of) equal footing and - regardless of form and league position - we can only muster up about 3500 fans. Meanwhile, we can only look on in envy as towns like Ipswich with about double our population attract 30,000 to home games…. I think we could probably increase attendances by about a thousand with more seats but that’s about our limit.
Ipswich is pretty much a one club county. To be honest it’s pretty much a one town county. It would be interesting to see how many of the 30,000 at Portman Rd live in Ipswich and how many travel in from the settlements around it.

I took the train from Cambridge to Ipswich (and Ipswich to Peterborough for the return) for our game there last season in November and the train was like a rush hour tube by the time we left Stowmarket with the platforms solid with people.

But then Ipswich have been a big top flight team and played in Europe etc so it’s more natural people across Suffolk will support them. And even those in north Essex and in Cambridgeshire as Colchester and Cambridge were lower league minnows like us when Ipswich were at their various peaks.

Look at places like Guildford, Winchester and Stratford and they don’t even have proper football league teams so we are doing well compared to some.
Mystified
Most locals I know are not interested in going week in week out due to poor football quality from the club.
The only identity I can see is defend deep and play diagonal long ball and hope for the best.
The locals I know actually prefer to watch Gloucester or even Hartpury rugby because the entertainment level and atmosphere - both of which are missing from Cheltenham.
This is why I’m so pleased we have an opportunity to change the ridiculous footballing direction we had previously!
Garby74
That's brutal Mystified!

It was good football under Duff once he got them going.

Did attendances increase? By a little
London Exile
paperboy wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 13:39

Maybe my suggestion that if the noise from the PRE could be amplified that would solve the acoustics issue which raises its head from time to time.
In my uneducated brain that would be much easier than raising the roofline which seems bonkers to me, but perhaps it wouldn't be feasible for unknown reasons.
I suggested a couple of times that the Trust/Club should look at fixing wood to the PRE on both sides (in turn covering the battered corrugated sheeting) paint it all red and maybe add some robins related slogans/artwork. The right wood should act as a good acoustic.

Harrogate have covered their corrugated sheeting with wood, painted it black and added a sponsor so it can be done even though I was brushed off with the old health & safety/fire risk excuse. Clearly Harrogate looked at it more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 19:39
paperboy wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 13:39

I suggested a couple of times that the Trust/Club should look at fixing wood to the PRE on both sides (in turn covering the battered corrugated sheeting) paint it all red and maybe add some robins related slogans/artwork. The right wood should act as a good acoustic.

Harrogate have covered their corrugated sheeting with wood, painted it black and added a sponsor so it can be done even though I was brushed off with the old health & safety/fire risk excuse. Clearly Harrogate looked at it more.
Cross laminated timber (CLT) is pretty fire resistant. CLT panels used in buildings come with different fire resistance levels with 90 minutes resistance being common. So not a safety issue as we could easily evacuate and contain a fire in that time.

If there was someone in a senior role at the Club who could do investigate options and procure and manage a contractor it could be done. I assume the Board have no time, mostly being volunteers.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 19:52
London Exile wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 19:39
paperboy wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 13:39 [/b]

Cross laminated timber (CLT) is pretty fire resistant. CLT panels used in buildings come with different fire resistance levels with 90 minutes resistance being common. So not a safety issue as we could easily evacuate and contain a fire in that time.

If there was someone in a senior role at the Club who could do investigate options and procure and manage a contractor it could be done. I assume the Board have no time, mostly being volunteers.
What would have been really helpful would be having a director or similar with contacts in the building supply arena, if only
Mystified
Garby74 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 19:37 That's brutal Mystified!

I’m just trying to put a slightly different spin on the frequent tow the line comments on here 🤣

Duff’s style of football is not popular at Swansea. Just saying. And whilst it was better here, as you say attendances went up a little, but also it was a short period of time.

Just thought it was relevant and truthful as to why a huge catchment of supporters here just choose to not go to see Cheltenham.

Ps I’ve been going since the 80’s so I’ve seen all sorts.
Shade
A lot of our performances under Duff were not very entertaining at all. Effective but not all that often very pleasing on the eye. A decent chunk of our goals came from long throws and even when we were on our way to winning League 2 there was a lot of frustration at times, especially for the playing out from the back and repeatedly losing the ball around our own box, passing backwards, etc. But that's how a team with a bottom half of the division budget does it.
bigdavejambo

times are hard and christmas is coming - people will start picking and choosing games and cant afford to attend each week
robinsrule
Mystified wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 20:16

I’m just trying to put a slightly different spin on the frequent tow the line comments on here 🤣

Duff’s style of football is not popular at Swansea. Just saying. And whilst it was better here, as you say attendances went up a little, but also it was a short period of time.

Just thought it was relevant and truthful as to why a huge catchment of supporters here just choose to not go to see Cheltenham.

Duff has become a lot more popular since they won four in a row…. funny that! 😄
Mystified
robinsrule wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 07:03
Mystified wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 20:16

Duff has become a lot more popular since they won four in a row…. funny that! 😄
I didn’t say they weren’t winning, just the fans of swansea who have season tickets are struggling to take to Duff due to the negative tactics.
Haitch
Would be interesting to hear from someone who sits in the main stand to who you think was louder on Saturday, the PRE when we get occasionally in full voice or block one as to me they were ok but nothing intimidating. seeing them all stood up all game just makes me think what a waste of seats, get them all in the PRE and then I'm sure there will be plenty of takers for their seats to be used for sitting!

getting the block one lot and those that are vocal in the PRE in sync and shouting together could have a great result as at times its two sets of fans singing two completely different chants.
Warwickshire Robin
Interesting that for the Pizza Cup tomorrow night that home fans are going in the Hazelwoods with away fans in the CF. Test event for future?
Shade
Haitch wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 09:20 Would be interesting to hear from someone who sits in the main stand to who you think was louder on Saturday, the PRE when we get occasionally in full voice or block one as to me they were ok but nothing intimidating. seeing them all stood up all game just makes me think what a waste of seats, get them all in the PRE and then I'm sure there will be plenty of takers for their seats to be used for sitting!

getting the block one lot and those that are vocal in the PRE in sync and shouting together could have a great result as at times its two sets of fans singing two completely different chants.
Definitely a waste of seats, especially as one or two seem to be permanently broken from being jumped on, or something.
Robin
Mystified wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 19:31 Most locals I know are not interested in going week in week out due to poor football quality from the club.
The only identity I can see is defend deep and play diagonal long ball and hope for the best.
The locals I know actually prefer to watch Gloucester or even Hartpury rugby because the entertainment level and atmosphere - both of which are missing from Cheltenham.
This is why I’m so pleased we have an opportunity to change the ridiculous footballing direction we had previously!
I don't believe the atmosphere is that much of a problem, it's standard football league level and we have two parts of the ground (C&G & CF) that regularly sing. The quality of football I agree has been poor the past 12-18 mths but I still don't know anyone who prefers to go to rugby over football, far more people just prefer to 'support' their team from the armchair.
Robin
robinsrule wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 18:48 Kind of underlines my previous points - we are playing Derby County at home for the second time in our history on a (kind of) equal footing and - regardless of form and league position - we can only muster up about 3500 fans. Meanwhile, we can only look on in envy as towns like Ipswich with about double our population attract 30,000 to home games…. I think we could probably increase attendances by about a thousand with more seats but that’s about our limit.
Population of Ipswich is 136,913 so pretty similar to Cheltenham. The difference is they attract fans from all over Suffolk, our support comes from Cheltenham and Tewkesbury largely with a bit coming from Evesham and Gloucester. This an area the board need to do better at i.e. marketing and attracting new fans to the club.
Shade
Robin wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 11:14
Population of Ipswich is 136,913 so pretty similar to Cheltenham. The difference is they attract fans from all over Suffolk, our support comes from Cheltenham and Tewkesbury largely with a bit coming from Evesham and Gloucester. This an area the board need to do better at i.e. marketing and attracting new fans to the club.
What else is going on in Suffolk? I can't think off the top of my head that there is another professional sports team? They've got Colchester about half an hour away. Their big "derby" with Norwich is over an hour and a quarter away. I'd say Glos was a bit of a wilderness compared to a lot of counties but we have (currently) two EFL teams, a top level rugby team, a pro cricket club, as well as two big football clubs in "South" Gloucestershire around 30-45 mins down the M5, and some big PL and Champ clubs around 45-60 mins up the M5.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:
Ipswich are a mad comparison anyway. English League Champions, FA Cup winners, UEFA cup winners. Their heritage is on a different planet to us.

The majority of football fans, about 2/3 in most surveys, support their team because of family links: A parent, grandparent usually. It's passed down. Only about 15% support the team because they come from, or live in the town (I'm in this category).

So, most football support is passed down the generations and therefore core fanbases grow slowly. What was an average Cheltenham crowd in the 70s/80s? 500? Given that we're now guaranteed 3500, that's actually a huge proportionate increase in two generations.
Fuller
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 09:58 Interesting that for the Pizza Cup tomorrow night that home fans are going in the Hazelwoods with away fans in the CF. Test event for future?
Home fans have been put into the Hazlewoods on a number of occasions in the last five seasons in the EFL Trophy. I’ve sat in there half a dozen times. It’s only when we know we’re going to get over 2k like Chelsea U21 that we open up the CF for home fans. Doubt they’ll be 1,000 tomorrow night.
Robin
Shade wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 11:21
What else is going on in Suffolk? I can't think off the top of my head that there is another professional sports team? They've got Colchester about half an hour away. Their big "derby" with Norwich is over an hour and a quarter away. I'd say Glos was a bit of a wilderness compared to a lot of counties but we have (currently) two EFL teams, a top level rugby team, a pro cricket club, as well as two big football clubs in "South" Gloucestershire around 30-45 mins down the M5, and some big PL and Champ clubs around 45-60 mins up the M5.
Who are the two big clubs? Bristol city at a push maybe but they don't attract any support up this way, not sure Cardiff are even a big club. Surely you don't mean Swindon or Bristol Rovers?

In terms of Suffolk I would imagine they have a lot of latent West Ham supporters in the same way a lot of locals around here go to Aston Villa and a lesser extent Wolves and West Brom. I don't see cricket as a rival sport really as the timings never conflict.

Your point about rugby is fair but even then clubs like Exeter and Northampton are able to average about a thousand fans more than us despite similar populations and contrasting sports.
Shade
Robin wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 15:16
Shade wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 11:21

Who are the two big clubs? Bristol city at a push maybe but they don't attract any support up this way, not sure Cardiff are even a big club. Surely you don't mean Swindon or Bristol Rovers?

In terms of Suffolk I would imagine they have a lot of latent West Ham supporters in the same way a lot of locals around here go to Aston Villa and a lesser extent Wolves and West Brom. I don't see cricket as a rival sport really as the timings never conflict.

Your point about rugby is fair but even then clubs like Exeter and Northampton are able to average about a thousand fans more than us despite similar populations and contrasting sports.
It depends on how pedantic you're being, really. Bigger clubs, then, as all of those you mentioned are compared to us, but I specifically meant the Bristol clubs as they're "South Gloucestershire" and you don't get to Swindon or Cardiff without using other roads than the M5. And I wasn't meaning that cricket or rugby would take away fans, just pointing out that there's naff all to do in Suffolk. But even growing up here, rugby was what I had the misfortune of having to endure at school instead of football. I can't imagine it was like that in the east, with no big rugby clubs around there.

It's still about an hour and a quarter to West Ham from Ipswich. I'm sure there are some Hammers there, like most areas have a few fans of different clubs.
As Jerry said above about Cheltenham, most fans have their loyalty and dedication to a club passed down through the generations. It all comes down to the pre-90's, as far as I'm concerned, before the internet and wall-to-wall TV coverage. Ipswich were dining at the top table and English champions whilst Cheltenham were feeding off scraps in the deep dark non-league. Reverse the roles and Cheltenham would be getting 25,000 home gates now and Ipswich five, I expect.