Recruitment

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
No, not for the team - for this message board.

I was talking to Steve at the Orient game and we were lamenting the lack of voices on The Nest, nowadays. I can't be bothered to go through the stats cos I'm meant to be working - but I bet there's little more than 20 regular posters voicing their opinions compared with significantly more in the distant past. Now, in the old days, The Nest had a certain reputation (our former chairman described it as "toxic") and there was little tolerance for too many opinions that were probably sincerely held. I do not believe we still have that problem, nor do I see much in the way of personal attacks. We had one newbie fairly recently, 1985CTFC, who was posting like RCS for a few weeks until, I think, he didn't like having some of his opinions held up to scrutiny and left as quickly as he arrived. Personally, I don't see a problem with opinions being challenged - it can either reinforce them or lead to a greater understanding - but, clearly, that's not for everyone.

Compare us with the (heavily-moderated) FGR board: match threads on there get hundreds of posts. There's frivolity as well as serious discussion about what's going badly and what's going worse (snigger) - but there's always lots of voices. Same thing on the Shrews board, yesterday.

AFAIK, The Nest is still the only online forum for fans - despite several others coming and going over the years, they've always been short-lived. The only other place for fans seems to be Facebook. I'm not sure how many on here also post on threads there - but there must be a few? Also, although there's a couple of groups set up, they have no members so it seems reactions to official CTFC posts are all we have to go on.

So, how about a recruitment drive? See if we can get some of those FB posters onto this board? I was thinking, first of all, of posting an invitation and a link to *our* match thread onto all matchday posts and see what happens.

Any ideas welcome - or comments if you think it's a stupid idea (I won't flounce off in a huff in the face of such a challenge!)
Ihearye
the trend these days (not one I follow), is I guess, as you say, for folk to be more active on social media.
If not able to get to a match, I do find the weekly match thread invaluable and the idea that others may also, is a fair point.
One of the pleasures of this forum, which is probably due to its demographic, is that you tend to get more often than not, a reasoned opinion. It may not be one you agree with but you can at least follow the line of thought. Is this what the FB warriors want these days? Maybe not.
Oh and I won;t hear a word said against RCS :)
Jerry St Clair
Personally, I find the Nest a nice sanctuary away from Twitter and Facebook, which can be reactionary and simplistic. This place is generally more thoughtful and reasoned and I rather like it that way.
andgarod
I agree with Jerrys comments
I dont do twitter etc and whats app only for family
Many of the reactionary moved on to social media and that where they shoulsd stay
Perhaps it is the demographics of the support that is changing
The nest is a revlatively safe place with the odd cuckoo visit from time to time they dont stay
CS85
Recently deactivated my twitter account,mentally draining reading the c!#p on there.
Although any kind of ctfc news seems to take alot longer to get to me as it seems twitter is always updated most.
Icknieldrobin
As a former Paddock season ticket holder for many years who can no longer get to the ground, I enjoy breakfast, reading the paper but only after reading the latest posts on here. As others have said Twitter is a no go area to keep some sanity but the views and snippets of "informed" gossip on here are entertaining and probably informative. So keep it up lads and thanks for taking the time to post.

In answer to your question I notice there were 2 'members' logged on a couple of mins ago and 8 guests. Now I'm not sure of the rules so is there a small population of interested people who just 'lurk' as I tend to do. Maybe something could be done to encourage them to log in perhaps.

Also could you approach the board and seek to get them to make ST holders aware of and encourage them to view the message board, I know GDPR rules will not allow you direct access to them. Perhaps a mention by DC could be arranged he always shows support for the fans in his after match interviews.

Old fashioned I know but hand out fliers to people in CTFC parts of the ground. Perhaps use Twitter and FB as an opportunity to advertise this board. Get the weekly podcast and maybe BBC Radio Glos to sing the praises of the message board as I'm sure there will be lots of new fans who are not aware of the boards existence. That said I guess there may be be reasons why these ideas would cut across the politics of the various organisations and not progress.

Perhaps an approach to those who used to post might be helpful to understand what has changed in their use / non use of the board.

On the downsides and I don't wish to cause offence but I sense the effort to make a post can be a tad too much for some busy youngsters. That said as a crumblie with time I don't comment because I'll only have seen the highlights and listened to BBC RG. and don't therefore feel I have sufficient involvement to have anything to contribute.

Feel free to high "D", I wont be offended.

BTW, I'm feeling REALLY positive about a mid table finish, perhaps the highest in our history!! Now that would go down in history along with the Greats. It really feels as exciting as when I walked out of Nene Park on 3rd April '99 at 5pm.
Nesty
I must admit that I dont post as often as I used to, something to do with my age ? but I still consider The Nest as my preferrred platform , I dont tweet and use facebook very rarely, Up The Nest

E
Ihearye
Icknieldrobin wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 14:02 As a former Paddock season ticket holder for many years who can no longer get to the ground, I enjoy breakfast, reading the paper but only after reading the latest posts on here. As others have said Twitter is a no go area to keep some sanity but the views and snippets of "informed" gossip on here are entertaining and probably informative. So keep it up lads and thanks for taking the time to post.

In answer to your question I notice there were 2 'members' logged on a couple of mins ago and 8 guests. Now I'm not sure of the rules so is there a small population of interested people who just 'lurk' as I tend to do. Maybe something could be done to encourage them to log in perhaps.

Also could you approach the board and seek to get them to make ST holders aware of and encourage them to view the message board, I know GDPR rules will not allow you direct access to them. Perhaps a mention by DC could be arranged he always shows support for the fans in his after match interviews.

Old fashioned I know but hand out fliers to people in CTFC parts of the ground. Perhaps use Twitter and FB as an opportunity to advertise this board. Get the weekly podcast and maybe BBC Radio Glos to sing the praises of the message board as I'm sure there will be lots of new fans who are not aware of the boards existence. That said I guess there may be be reasons why these ideas would cut across the politics of the various organisations and not progress.

Perhaps an approach to those who used to post might be helpful to understand what has changed in their use / non use of the board.

On the downsides and I don't wish to cause offence but I sense the effort to make a post can be a tad too much for some busy youngsters. That said as a crumblie with time I don't comment because I'll only have seen the highlights and listened to BBC RG. and don't therefore feel I have sufficient involvement to have anything to contribute.

Feel free to high "D", I wont be offended.

BTW, I'm feeling REALLY positive about a mid table finish, perhaps the highest in our history!! Now that would go down in history along with the Greats. It really feels as exciting as when I walked out of Nene Park on 3rd April '99 at 5pm.
I must admit I have never worked out if the 'remember me' option means I don't need to logon when I return. If so that makes it easier. In the past and most times I read as a guest and logon when I want to comment.
Broadway Brian
Nesty wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 14:46 Up The Nest
You can’t say that any more…
asl
Good ideas, there Icknie. Not sure the club would be overly keen to advertise this board for a whole variety of reasons - apart from anything else, we're not 'official' in any way.

Si - you advertise the podcast a lot on here, but I don't know if The Nest gets much of a mention in return? Just a thought... I suspect Mark H won't be impressed with the idea, mind!
asl
Ihearye: yes, that's exactly what the 'remember me' check box is for. You'll still have to login occasionally - maybe once every few months and any time you clear your browser cache and cookies.
Si Robin
asl wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 15:43 Good ideas, there Icknie. Not sure the club would be overly keen to advertise this board for a whole variety of reasons - apart from anything else, we're not 'official' in any way.

Si - you advertise the podcast a lot on here, but I don't know if The Nest gets much of a mention in return? Just a thought... I suspect Mark H won't be impressed with the idea, mind!
I mention the Nest regularly
Ihearye
asl wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 15:45 Ihearye: yes, that's exactly what the 'remember me' check box is for. You'll still have to login occasionally - maybe once every few months and any time you clear your browser cache and cookies.
My education continues !
Ben3
I like this site (although it’s not the same since Ben Version 4:0 left). I don’t agree with everyone but the conversation is generally quite sensible. I get bored sometimes and try to stir the pot, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who does that. I also only comment on games I’ve gone to as a matter of principle

In terms of increasing numbers - that’s tough. The site has a reputation due to the past and now it is a bit of a ‘closed shop’. I think maybe people like me should try to post a bit more often, respond more often, maybe be a bit more polemic. But would I want it to turn into a Facebook-storm-of-shite? - nah. I’d opt out
Shade
In terms of a "recruitment drive", a sticky welcome thread encouraging people to say hi might be an idea. And maybe an update to the rules thread. I mean, they might not be any different, but the thread is now over 10 years old since it was put up... A copy and paste, delete old thread, just to make it look cared for? Maybe the same with some of the other old stickies.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It would be interesting to know the ages of posters on here. I feel amongst the younger cohort and am almost 40!

Some of my better posting contemporaries from years gone by like Vanky and Malarks I think drifted away from the Nest when they moved away from Cheltenham and had better things to with their lives.

I think the Nest falls between two stools. It is too long form and discursive for those who react and rant on social media. But too reactionary and ranty for those who don’t have time, or are too high brow, for such things. The middle ground is a shrinking cohort.

Apart from JP’s Tweets and looking at the CTFC hashtag on match days to see if anyone has posted video of goals, I very rarely look at non-club social media posts. I follow CTFC on Twitter and Instagram for news and video but try to avoid clicking the comments as I know how awful they will be.

Maybe a new posters sticky, asking those who rarely post to say what their favourite CTFC game or goal is or something like that to break the ice?

(I have to say, other forums are much more user friendly for posting images, youtube videos, embedded Tweets etc. I don’t know if it increases user numbers, but it means all that content can be viewed within the forum thread rather than the forum just providing links to other sites.)
Swiss-Robin
I really like this site. For someone like me living so far away (close to Geneva, Switzerland), it's an excellent way to stay relatively up-to-date; especially with the banter on match-days.
Just wondering if there are any other ex-pat Robins out there who feel the same?
As for 'recruitment', surely a plug in the programme or over the tannoy at games might work wonders, or a link from CTFC.COM?
Short of that, how about distribution of some flyers (in person by the turnstiles or left on cars windscreen wipers maybe?) on match-days, or perhaps given out printed (if it could be done?) on match-tickets or coach away-day tickets?
Just a thought as that's how I'd do it if I were there.
Happy New Year to all.
robinsrule
I sometimes look at forums from other clubs and without exception they are busier with more comments than we get. Even clubs with similar attendances. I’m not sure what the reason is for that.

However, the Nest is a haven of peace and calm compared to the toxicity and negativity of other clubs. Without fail they are full of whinging moaning fans for whom their club can never do anything right.

For that alone - long live the Nest!
horlickfanclub
Traffic will pick up if results go badly or Alfie May goes to the Championship in January for a Million £ with no add on for CTFC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 11:45 I sometimes look at forums from other clubs and without exception they are busier with more comments than we get. Even clubs with similar attendances. I’m not sure what the reason is for that.

However, the Nest is a haven of peace and calm compared to the toxicity and negativity of other clubs. Without fail they are full of whinging moaning fans for whom their club can never do anything right.

A lot of the toxic moaners left the Nest over the years after being proven wrong too many times :lol:
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 16:22
robinsrule wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 11:45 I sometimes look at forums from other clubs and without exception they are busier with more comments than we get. Even clubs with similar attendances. I’m not sure what the reason is for that.

A lot of the toxic moaners left the Nest over the years after being proven wrong too many times :lol:
I still see Superkoz pop up on Twitter every now and then with some OTT nonsense.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 17:11
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 16:22

I still see Superkoz pop up on Twitter every now and then with some OTT nonsense.
He often films the goals on ifollow and posts them on Twitter during the game, so he’s one I always look out for on match days. Which I never thought would be the case!
RobinsCTFC
Part of the problem is aside from actual matches there's not much to react to.

As a relative newbie to this site, I don't know if this has been discussed before but how about some fan authored articles to read and debate, as lots of other fan sites have?

I remember years ago being into sites like "vital football", or thevillablog
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RobinsCTFC wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 14:06 Part of the problem is aside from actual matches there's not much to react to.

As a relative newbie to this site, I don't know if this has been discussed before but how about some fan authored articles to read and debate, as lots of other fan sites have?

I remember years ago being into sites like "vital football", or thevillablog
The podcast is probably the best content. Maybe the podcast thread on here could be used to collate questions and topics for discussion on the show?