Loans

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Confirmation that six of our seven loans have returned from whence they came:

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2024/january/ ... tCDxABYiNg

Bevan is the exception, hoping to come back once he's fit again. Also, Olayinka transfer-listed.

No surprises, then.
andgarod
Butler -Oyedeji is here until end of season or is injured
So 5 returned and Bevan perhaps
Si Robin
NBO is here until the end of the season. By the sounds of it, it's not a deal we can get out of.
andgarod
I think its more we need 5 strikers
We cannot be sure of signing one
so keep
HamTown
Si Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 12:48 NBO is here until the end of the season. By the sounds of it, it's not a deal we can get out of.
That would make sense as surely we could get better, hes Alex Addai v2.....only worse in my eyes
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 12:48 NBO is here until the end of the season. By the sounds of it, it's not a deal we can get out of.
This makes sense to me, I don't want to be harsh but the term headless chicken feels pretty apt to me. I'd be suprised if he's not in the non-league game this time next year.
Horteng
Did Milton have any input when signing these players?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
NBO did create his own chance and almost grab the winner on Friday night, of course.
Robin
Horteng wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 14:47 Did Milton have any input when signing these players?
:lol: :lol:
Err...yes he was responsible for them all :lol: :lol:
Ihearye
Horteng wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 14:47 Did Milton have any input when signing these players?
Which makes me think DC will be choosing his own players and maybe leaving the paperwork to the backroom boys
andgarod
I dont blame Rusty for the loans
We were told there were lists and lists etc
We were also told that MM and his mates had players watched and followed for years
So when the 3 left they took their lists with them
Wade was supposed to be part of the list making as was Rusty
So MM having made contact with some of the intended loans then left
Did that put some loanees and clubs off
Based on Duffs time and last season CTFC would have been a good test for up and coming players
So what went wrong was Rusty and Wase out bid or left to have seconds

There was a reference to Rusty having said we tried to get Pett in the summer
Where did he say that
Why did we fail to land him
Too expensive or thought he could do better but we missed out
Is DC paying him monkey nuts now or what

So who is get the loans in DC or Rusty or do they work together

Lets see who we get in and we can have a post mortem later
Robin
andgarod wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 19:44 I dont blame Rusty for the loans
We were also told that MM and his mates had players watched and followed for years
Based on Duffs time and last season CTFC would have been a good test for up and coming players

Where did he say that

We didn't try to get Pett in the summer, he was offered to us but we choose not to take him. Russ said as much that we didn't really appreciate how good he was until we saw him in our team. Honestly I don't think that's as bad as it sounds because most recruitment now is driven by data analytics and our main guy followed MM to Shrews when he was overlooked for the HoR role here.

It was on Radio Glos on Friday before the Reading match.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 20:04
andgarod wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 19:44 I dont blame Rusty for the loans

Where did he say that

We didn't try to get Pett in the summer, he was offered to us but we choose not to take him. Russ said as much that we didn't really appreciate how good he was until we saw him in our team. Honestly I don't think that's as bad as it sounds because most recruitment now is driven by data analytics and our main guy followed MM to Shrews when he was overlooked for the HoR role here.

It was on Radio Glos on Friday before the Reading match.
There was also another 47 League 1 & 2 clubs who didn't choose to sign him either including ones who knew him better so can't blame our recruitment team too much.
Ben3
Look, nobody will say a bad word about Russ. But in his role…well, let’s hope he gets some ‘help’!!
shevates
Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 15:10
And turning Tom Pett down lol
Horteng
shevates wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 20:58
Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 15:10
And turning Tom Pett down lol
FFS :roll:
Horteng
I think Russ is a nice guy but cant help but think its a wage we could save on to invest in the playing budget. For me the manager must sign what players he wants not what a head of recruitment wants. I appreciate someone has to do the leg work once a player is identified but it seems a waste of resource to me for a club of our size
ctfc-fan
Horteng wrote:I think Russ is a nice guy but cant help but think its a wage we could save on to invest in the playing budget. For me the manager must sign what players he wants not what a head of recruitment wants. I appreciate someone has to do the leg work once a player is identified but it seems a waste of resource to me for a club of our size
This was all mentioned before by the chairman. Russ is told by the manager what sort of player he wants and then Russ goes out and shortlists a few and presents to the manager. The manager can’t do everything.
Robin
Horteng wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 22:00 I think Russ is a nice guy but cant help but think its a wage we could save on to invest in the playing budget. For me the manager must sign what players he wants not what a head of recruitment wants. I appreciate someone has to do the leg work once a player is identified but it seems a waste of resource to me for a club of our size
Almost every club has a head of recruitment, this team uses data analytics to identify players then scouts them, managers don't have time for that. Once they have a short list the manager can give their inputs.

I presume the Head of Recruitment also negiogiates with agents at least that was what Micky Moore was doing but suspect that's now the gaffer.
Jim
Horteng wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 22:00 I think Russ is a nice guy but cant help but think its a wage we could save on to invest in the playing budget. For me the manager must sign what players he wants not what a head of recruitment wants. I appreciate someone has to do the leg work once a player is identified but it seems a waste of resource to me for a club of our size
I think there's an argument that a club our size needs more resources in recruitment than bigger clubs. We need to be smarter than most, and once DC has attracted a few of his favourites (e.g. Pett), we need to be looking outside of the box in our recruitment. I don't think we can rely on DC and AM to come up with all the targets on their own, we need to leverage data and scouting to find hidden gems. Like it or not, MM did pretty well in this area when all is said and done - Bonds, Freestone, Ferry, Goodwin are our most saleable assets now and good league one players.

Echoing what others have said, but it beggars belief Pett was without a club for so long - he looks the real deal at this level. What did clubs miss about him when he was available, or was it him waiting for the perfect opportunity?
Robin
Regarding Pett keep in mind he's spent his entire career in league two at pretty unfashionable clubs and was released after one season from a side that had just got promoted. He's been a great addition for us but I can see why other league one clubs may have over looked him. Seems he also had an offer from Crewe before we stepped in so most likely he was looking for the right club rather than dropping too far down the pyramid.
Uppy
There has been absolutely no indication of anything but would love to ask the question about getting Caleb Taylor back. Doesn’t look like he’s played for West Brom.
Jim
Uppy wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 10:03 There has been absolutely no indication of anything but would love to ask the question about getting Caleb Taylor back. Doesn’t look like he’s played for West Brom.
Sounds like we're after a right-sided CB and Taylor I could only see playing at the centre of our back 3 but I would also love this. I like the idea of later in the season having a back three of Bevan-Taylor-Freestone. Maybe a bit young, but a very high potential back 3 that would be.
Robin
No doubt we will be after a replacement for Davies soon but he's played well recently and I wouldn't look to change that as a priority as much as I loved watching Caleb play for us.
horlickfanclub
Taylor has been on the bench most of the season so doubt he will be loaned out.
Jim
horlickfanclub wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 11:59 Taylor has been on the bench most of the season so doubt he will be loaned out.
He's been on the bench 14 out of 26 first team games across league and cup, playing a grand total of 4 minutes. So he's part of the squad, but for his development he'd be better off going out and getting minutes. Moot point really as I doubt he comes back to us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jim wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 12:10
horlickfanclub wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 11:59 Taylor has been on the bench most of the season so doubt he will be loaned out.
He's been on the bench 14 out of 26 first team games across league and cup, playing a grand total of 4 minutes. So he's part of the squad, but for his development he'd be better off going out and getting minutes. Moot point really as I doubt he comes back to us.
It’s a squad game. If he is on the bench it is because WBA think he is important as a replacement for those starting should there be injuries or red cards. I don’t see them loaning him out as it means they then have to put a player they think is worse on the bench.
Jerry St Clair
What makes you think it’s a deal we can’t get out of rather than a positive decision to keep him?
Ben3
Robin wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 10:01 Regarding Pett keep in mind he's spent his entire career in league two at pretty unfashionable clubs and was released after one season from a side that had just got promoted. He's been a great addition for us but I can see why other league one clubs may have over looked him. Seems he also had an offer from Crewe before we stepped in so most likely he was looking for the right club rather than dropping too far down the pyramid.
Which is why my observation (which was poo-pooed by some) that league one is appalling quality this year is so important. Average league two players look good in it.

The standards have dropped so far, I wonder if this applies to other leagues, or whether we could pick up conference standard players who’d be able to cope easily enough?
Newbie 2024
Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 14:01
This makes sense to me, I don't want to be harsh but the term headless chicken feels pretty apt to me. I'd be suprised if he's not in the non-league game this time next year.

Disrespect, you have a forward line that didn’t score in 11 games, none of them have pace or skill, or vision, just run themselves to the ground yet they played the majority of the games, NBO gets 10-20 mins to act has a impact player when your losing, please give the same energy to your basic run of the mill forwards.
1985CTFC
Think it is a bit harsh to judge Russ on the preseason signings. He was dropped in it at last minute. Maybe see how these new signing develop to offer an opinion on how Russ is doing. Must take a while to scout players along with a new assistant. If the new lad Jordan turns out to earn us 500K plus then a pat on Russ's back