Oli Hammond

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Forest Loans
Hi all - hope you don't mind me posting this.

Forest fan here wondering how Oli Hammond did for you? It seemed like he was a regular under your previous manager, but didn't feature much under Darrell Clarke. The information would go into a Loan Watch thread for a Forest forum.

I always look out for your results now and hope you have a good season.

Happy New Year to you!
Shade
I wouldn't say he was ever a regular. At the start of the season he played more because we had fewer players available. Bonds was injured and Pett hadn't been signed. To be honest, I don't think you can read much into this loan spell. He wasn't what we needed and we, the state that we were in, weren't what he needed. If anything, the spell may have toughened him up and given him some things he would never have experienced in football before - after all, no team had gone 11 games without a goal from the start of a season for 30-odd years, so hes one of a few players with that under his belt...

Loan ended because the new boss wants more experience to get us out of the s#!t and, in his words, we haven't got time to spend on young players, hoping they'll come good.

To be honest, Hammond didn't really show anything when he was with us but, given the situation and team he spent most of his minutes playing in, I wouldn't write him off.
Si Robin
As Shade says, we weren't right for each other. We needed some grit in the middle and, as technically sound as he is, Hammond just wasn't that.

He picked up a niggle early on in his loan and by the time he came back we were very much in the doldrums.

Funnily enough, his best performance was probably his cameo at the end of the game against Reading on Friday evening. I'd suggest a loan at a decent League 2 team will sort his confidence out - there's a player there, we just didn't see much of it.
Robin
Couldn't question his commitment but it seemed like a first time loan where he wasn't ready for league one and should have gone to a league two team first. He didn't have the physical side of the game and mentally he appeared to be a bit slower than the rest of the players on the pitch in terms anticipation and movement. As I say he would try hard to was difficult to get on his back and I doubt fans here would vilify him it just was too far too soon.

Maybe we are being harsh but we've had some top quality loans in recent years and he was a massive regression to that standard, not his fault you have to blame the recruitment team here who I can only assume never watched him play and just went on his U-23 stats for you. Agree with others his best performance was probably his final game when he came off the bench last week.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 09:37 Couldn't question his commitment but it seemed like a first time loan where he wasn't ready for league one and should have gone to a league two team first. He didn't have the physical side of the game and mentally he appeared to be a bit slower than the rest of the players on the pitch in terms anticipation and movement. As I say he would try hard to was difficult to get on his back and I doubt fans here would vilify him it just was too far too soon.

Maybe we are being harsh but we've had some top quality loans in recent years and he was a massive regression to that standard, not his fault you have to blame the recruitment team here who I can only assume never watched him play and just went on his U-23 stats for you. Agree with others his best performance was probably his final game when he came off the bench last week.
Perhaps just a tad harsh. He was no worse than anyone else in those first 11 games. But as others have said DC came on and went for experience to get is through the dog fights. The fact that all loans that we could return, have been returned either shows the recruitment was poor or that it is just a season where we need something else.
Robin
I don't want to diverge too much but ask yourself this would any of these loans got into our team the two prior seasons when we were not in a relegation battle? I suspect the clear answer is no apart from Bevan. It's not their fault, we clearly panicked and signed anyone we could get and after Moore and Tom Ware left we had no clue what to do.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 10:15 I don't want to diverge too much but ask yourself this would any of these loans got into our team the two prior seasons when we were not in a relegation battle? I suspect the clear answer is no apart from Bevan. It's not their fault, we clearly panicked and signed anyone we could get and after Moore and Tom Ware left we had no clue what to do.
Agree it is not the strongest set of load we have ever had. But as has been mentioned they were parachuted in to a poor team. Would the loans of the prior 2 seasons have done as well if they had their first games in our early season team??? All debatable point's. Just don't think Hammond, or most of them, got the opportunity to bed in and show what they could do. Mainly because we were fire fighting from the very start
Si Robin
I agree with Ihearye - Hammond was different to most of the others because he seemed on the radar from early on. Williams and D'Auria-Henry for example were panic signings when Liam Smith got injured.

He looked ok at first, got his injury against Reading and then came back to a team in complete turmoil. When DC came in, he realised we're in a fight and young loanees are rarely the best option in that scenario. Hammond will go on to have a decent career, we were just the wrong club at the wrong time.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 09:37 Couldn't question his commitment but it seemed like a first time loan where he wasn't ready for league one and should have gone to a league two team first. He didn't have the physical side of the game and mentally he appeared to be a bit slower than the rest of the players on the pitch in terms anticipation and movement. As I say he would try hard to was difficult to get on his back and I doubt fans here would vilify him it just was too far too soon.

"Can only assume" means you do not know.
Forest Loans
Thanks, folks. Much appreciated. The best of luck for the rest of the season!