Goodwin

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
We don't need to sell. If we do then we need a replacement ready to go and players are not exactly running to WR at present.

Got to keep a eye on the board, because I don't trust them after the Alfie debacle.
shevates
I find all this very worrying, we appeared to have turned the corner under the leadership of DC and given ourselves a fighting chance of escaping relegation. So many players have improved since his arrival, and Goodwin most likely the one who has improved the most. I find it utter madness that were prepared to let him go when we need his contribution in our fight for survival

In my view we let Alfie go for half the fee he was worth, and he's already proved that with his goal tally for Charlton. Goodwin is younger, he has improved dramatically from the so called striker he was under Wade. I just feel we've been offered a fee and the eyes have lit up and roll like a fruit machine

Unless we already have a decent player lined up to replace Goodwin and that I doubt as a striker may not of been on top of DC shopping list, this deal could be a massive setback to our survival
Malabus
shevates wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 18:34 I find all this very worrying, we appeared to have turned the corner under the leadership of DC and given ourselves a fighting chance of escaping relegation. So many players have improved since his arrival, and Goodwin most likely the one who has improved the most. I find it utter madness that were prepared to let him go when we need his contribution in our fight for survival

In my view we let Alfie go for half the fee he was worth, and he's already proved that with his goal tally for Charlton. Goodwin is younger, he has improved dramatically from the so called striker he was under Wade. I just feel we've been offered a fee and the eyes have lit up and roll like a fruit machine

Unless we already have a decent player lined up to replace Goodwin and that I doubt as a striker may not of been on top of DC shopping list, this deal could be a massive setback to our survival
Can't argue with that - agree 100%
Robin
shevates wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 18:34 I find all this very worrying, we appeared to have turned the corner under the leadership of DC and given ourselves a fighting chance of escaping relegation. So many players have improved since his arrival, and Goodwin most likely the one who has improved the most. I find it utter madness that were prepared to let him go when we need his contribution in our fight for survival

This is the best take I've read. Remember relegation would likely cost us £500k minimum, selling Goodwin would likely contribute to that because we are losing out to league two clubs for players as it is.
1985CTFC
If he goes for good money I would like to see Will Evans from Newport join us. He is strong and aggressive and knows where the back of the net is. Unlikely I know. I reckon his style would be perfect for us at the moment.
One problem is Newport could be playing Man Utd soon so won't need the money. Lets hope they lose Tuesday in their replay.
Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 19:05 If he goes for good money I would like to see Will Evans from Newport join us. He is strong and aggressive and knows where the back of the net is. Unlikely I know. I reckon his style would be perfect for us at the moment.
One problem is Newport could be playing Man Utd soon so won't need the money. Lets hope they lose Tuesday in their replay.
That's a decent shout but it would mean breaking our transfer record again I suspect. At least we know we can offer higher wages than Newport can.
HamTown
Robin wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 17:15
HamTown wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 17:09 I'm confident DC and RM can find a suitable replacement. Yes he's been good of late but seems to have lots of little injury niggles.

Don't think it's the doom and gloom like others are saying
We've been chasing 3-4 new signings since November, where is your optismism coming form that we can sign another striker to replace Goodwin in two weeks :D :lol:
Because we'll have an actual budget to spend and it will widen the pool we're fishing in
Broadway Brian
If it generates the required funds to achieve (or go a long way towards) the squad that DC wants, then so be it.

If it is with DC’s blessing then we have to trust. If it isn’t, I think we’ll have a bigger problem than a missing icon.
paperboy
If his agent had a release clause written into his contract , which is likely, he'll be choosing which club suits him best and it sounds as if the valuation has been met.
Take a likely sell on clause of 20ish per cent payable to Stoke into consideration and we'll be looking for another unpolished dud like Aiden Keena.
Ihearye
If we got even half decent money, we would still be fishing with poor bait, dad truth is we are not the best players first choice. Then if we do drop down into L2, we will be out gunned yet again by all the new money in thst league. If we drop we will find it hard to get back.
I believe this is a defining moment for the board. Show us we are a club were players have a future and when they go is when it suits us best.
The thing that really gets me is the phrase ,'met our valuation '. If we didn't want to sell we wouldn't have a valuation. Fed up with being taken for a mug you turn up and pay up through the bad times. We get in DC who breathes life into the players and give a the fans hope. If the board then takes some of that hope away for a few £, then it brings shame on them.
Ihearye
paperboy wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:23 If his agent had a release clause written into his contract , which is likely, he'll be choosing which club suits him best and it sounds as if the valuation has been met.
Take a likely sell on clause of 20ish per cent payable to Stoke into consideration and we'll be looking for another unpolished dud like Aiden Keena.
First to admit I have no inside or even outside knowledge. However I find it slightly amusing, if true, that a player who has been far from prolific and spent a lot of time on loan or playing for lesser teams. Then has a release clause inserted when signing for Cheltenham as a back up bsck up striker. If true, world has gone mad
art vandalay
After battling from a near hopeless position, it would be a massive kick in the teeth to everyone if we’re going to let one of our more effective players leave at the first sign of money. Show some ambition!
CS85
We need to receive a very good fee for us to be looking at a better quality of player.
A decent player for us on a free and signing a 2 year deal would alone soak up 200k.
Robin
Much talk about a good fee, well Bolton paid Burton £500,000 last January for Victor Adebayjo Source: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... joyejo-fee we surely have to be asking for a similar fee given Goodwin is younger and like Adebayjo had half a good season. That said, £500k will not go very far in todays market, that's two players on 2 year deals realistically.
paperboy
Robin wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:59 Much talk about a good fee, well Bolton paid Burton £500,000 last January for Victor Adebayjo Source: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... joyejo-fee we surely have to be asking for a similar fee given Goodwin is younger and like Adebayjo had half a good season. That said, £500k will not go very far in todays market, that's two players on 2 year deals realistically.
Think Robin is correct. A lowish fee but with plenty of add ons.
Artemis
Ihearye wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:33
paperboy wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:23 If his agent had a release clause written into his contract , which is likely, he'll be choosing which club suits him best and it sounds as if the valuation has been met.
First to admit I have no inside or even outside knowledge. However I find it slightly amusing, if true, that a player who has been far from prolific and spent a lot of time on loan or playing for lesser teams. Then has a release clause inserted when signing for Cheltenham as a back up bsck up striker. If true, world has gone mad
Why wouldn't he have a release clause? He might have a very good agent who likes to gamble on younger players.
Last edited by Artemis on 15 Jan 2024, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Artemis
CS85 wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:50 We need to receive a very good fee for us to be looking at a better quality of player.
A decent player for us on a free and signing a 2 year deal would alone soak up 200k.
Or....experienced players coming to the end of careers who are t in current teams plans, on a free transfer, has a relatively high wage on a short term contract to the end of the season to help keep us up.

DC needs funds for incoming players. Where else is he going to get it?
300k for Goodwin is 4 x 75k for half a season inc bonuses.
HamTown
Artemis wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 22:22
CS85 wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:50 We need to receive a very good fee for us to be looking at a better quality of player.
Or....experienced players coming to the end of careers who are t in current teams plans, on a free transfer, has a relatively high wage on a short term contract to the end of the season to help keep us up.

Connor Wickham might fit the bill
Artemis
Malabus wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 18:13 We don't need to sell. If we do then we need a replacement ready to go and players are not exactly running to WR at present.

Got to keep a eye on the board, because I don't trust them after the Alfie debacle.
We do need to sell to raise funds for the experienced players DC wants to help keep us up. What he's working with now isn't enough to get the players he wants.
Artemis
HamTown wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 22:32

Connor Wickham might fit the bill
He might
Shade
Saw the phrase "met our valuation" and in no way, shape or form should the board be selling just because of that. The offers should be far exceeding the valuation if they want to pry a young player with 18 months on his contract away.

I kinda stood by the board over the Alfie thing but if Goodwin goes for bugger all on the second offer then there really will need to be serious questions answered. However, I won't get too worked up until we have some actual facts.

Also, as stated by others, as long as we get a proper fee, I wouldn't be hugely upset at losing Goodwin. Yes, he's becoming a good player, scored a few goals (not a huge number, and they came in a glut), but he's missed quite a few games and if we can find one or two replacements that can come up with a few goals, I think Lloyd, Street and them are ok. And if Aidan "Rufus Smalls" Keena could somehow find the back of the net then even better. One will bring two, etc.
Robin

Let me counter this in a friendly and constructive way:
1. Any fee is very unlikely to be paid upfront so it's split usually over a number of seasons. If we sold Goodwin for £300k (which is low end surely) then we'd get likely half of that right now and remember we are tied to 60% of wages based on our revenue so the fee is not recognised as one lump sum.
2. Not all of a any fee would go into playing budget, some would be kept for a rainy day or to invest in infrastructure.
3. Paying players until the end of the season is extremely short term because come the summer they would all leave if we were paying them £3k a week for the remainder of the season because we couldn't keep them next year.
4. Players will likely want longer contracts and sign-on bonuses.
HamTown
On that "meets the boards valuation" I'm sure DC and RM would have been involved in that valuation and whether a replacement can be found so its not entirely on them to get another kicking
Ihearye
HamTown wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 07:45 On that "meets the boards valuation" I'm sure DC and RM would have been involved in that valuation and whether a replacement can be found so its not entirely on them to get another kicking
As long as you 'are sure', then we can all relax
HamTown
Ihearye wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 08:27
HamTown wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 07:45 On that "meets the boards valuation" I'm sure DC and RM would have been involved in that valuation and whether a replacement can be found so its not entirely on them to get another kicking
As long as you 'are sure', then we can all relax
The board aren't going to go behind DC and RM's backs, if they started doing that things would fall apart pretty quickly.
Si Robin
I agree with HamTown - the board can be accused of a lot of things when it comes to letting players go for less than their worth, but to suggest they'd do so without the blessing of DC is crazy. They know full well that if they do anything on the playing side behind his back then that trust will be broken and he will leave.

If they force DC out now then it will kick up a shitstorm that would have made the Alfie fall out look like a teddy bear's picnic.
Ihearye
all good then as JP is saying DC wants to keep him, therefore 3 pages of comments that can be archived off
1985CTFC
DC said Goodwin had a good future in the game. Best he stays and performs for the rest of the season. He can then do much better than Charlton. Plus if he does go at season end we will get more money. If Goodwin leaves and DC fails to keep us up it won't look as good on his CV as saving us. Harsh I know but true.
horlickfanclub
Of course the Manager wants to keep him. Most people here do.It does not mean he will not go. DC has done a clever thing pointing out that Goodwin has a good future to motivate him and spark some interest.He has been around long enough to know that January is the silly season and if Goodwin wants to go to a club for a realistic fee DC will get on with it the same as he would if a key player was injured.
As for finance, a key thing would be to find a club to take on James Olayinka.
Last edited by horlickfanclub on 16 Jan 2024, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
everyman
Robin wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 13:38
longmover wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 13:30
Robin wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 13:28

I suspect the board will keep the fee closely under wraps knowing the flak they got for selling Alfie for such a low amount.
If I was on the board I'd want a decent fee agreed shouted from the rafters, no mention of anything is not a good look for them and their look isn't too good regarding selling damn good players.
When have we ever got a decent fee for any of our players other than maybe Mo Eisa :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
But who knows how much of his fee went into the Ctfc coffers ??
Fuller
JP tweeting that CTFC have rejected bids for Goodwin from Charlton and Oxford.
I expect they’ll be back.
horlickfanclub
The " met the valuation" story has gone out of the window. Ignore the X and Twatters.
Artemis
Robin wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 07:42

Let me counter this in a friendly and constructive way:
1. Any fee is very unlikely to be paid upfront so it's split usually over a number of seasons. If we sold Goodwin for £300k (which is low end surely) then we'd get likely half of that right now and remember we are tied to 60% of wages based on our revenue so the fee is not recognised as one lump sum.
2. Not all of a any fee would go into playing budget, some would be kept for a rainy day or to invest in infrastructure.
3. Paying players until the end of the season is extremely short term because come the summer they would all leave if we were paying them £3k a week for the remainder of the season because we couldn't keep them next year.
4. Players will likely want longer contracts and sign-on bonuses.
The club has two objectives this season.
1. Finish in 20th place or higher in L1
2. Don't risk the financial future of the club in trying.

That's it - its that short term. Question is which of:
a. keeping Goodwin and getting as many more Tom Petts as we can with what's in the kitty - or
b. selling Goodwin (and indeed any other of our players under contract) and getting even more or upgraded Tom Petts (deals until the end of the season in place of the loans until the end of the season) than if we hadn't sold.

is the more likely route to achieve those objectives.

My view is that selling Goodwin for at least what the board value him at and putting as much of that cash as possible towards even more or upgraded Tom Petts is the most likely to keep us safe. Other's disagree - fair enough.

Luckily for us, we don't have to make a decision. That's not so for our board of directors who probably can't win either way. Don't sell Goodwin, and get fewer of the experienced players DC needs to get us safe - with the accompanying flak about low quality of low numbers of players, or even relegation (which I still believe is more likely than not), or sell Goodwin, with the accompanying flak from supporters, and possible relegation. But whatever they do, we can be pretty confident that the financial future of the club won't be gambled. Thankfully.
Artemis
Fuller wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 10:19 JP tweeting that CTFC have rejected bids for Goodwin from Charlton and Oxford.
I expect they’ll be back.
I expect they'll be back too. Goodwin is worth more than May, simply because as an asset he has significantly higher re-sale value than May.
longmover
JP told by Bloxham that they're not looking to sell Goodwin and will take guidance from the manager but 'ultimate decision' will be made by the board