Teams around us - Thread to season end

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 15:09
longmover wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 14:22
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 13:47

I’d opt for a Vale win over Burton. It’s more important we have teams to catch and if we win the games in hand to catch Burton and Cambridge by default we would overtake Vale as well.
Always had this feeling that vale could go on a tasty run after they get their first win.
If we overtake two teams who cares what Vale do.

I know it's all assumptions, but I would much prefer the teams below us to stay below us in the hope that we can catch even one of the teams above us, which still looks like a long shot to me at the moment.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 18:10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 15:09
longmover wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 14:22

Always had this feeling that vale could go on a tasty run after they get their first win.
If we overtake two teams who cares what Vale do.

I know it's all assumptions, but I would much prefer the teams below us to stay below us in the hope that we can catch even one of the teams above us, which still looks like a long shot to me at the moment.
Think that would be my view. Cambridge is the one to get above. They have the hardest run in and are the most disjointed at present.
Si Robin
Probably unlikely to effect the run in, but Port Vale director of football, David Flitcroft, has left the club.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 19:43 Probably unlikely to effect the run in, but Port Vale director of football, David Flitcroft, has left the club.
May well galvanise the fanbase. It'd all got a bit toxic so removing the hate figure draws the poison. Could have an impact, especially at home.
robinsrule
We really need Vale to beat Burton today. Doesn’t matter which order we are in the bottom four, we have to keep fifth bottom as close to us as possible. I’m fine with Vale leapfrogging us today because it would mean there are two teams above the drop zone within four points of us instead of one.

Come on Vale!!
robinsrule
Plus we play Burton so that result is in our own hands.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 15:40 We really need Vale to beat Burton today. Doesn’t matter which order we are in the bottom four, we have to keep fifth bottom as close to us as possible. I’m fine with Vale leapfrogging us today because it would mean there are two teams above the drop zone within four points of us instead of one.

Come on Vale!!
Agreed.
joes dad
Vale just hit the post.
Burton pitch looks awful
Shade
I'll be more than happy with the scores to remain as they are now (inc that lot at the bottom of League 2!). If Burton get a point but can't beat Vale then we have nothing to worry about in terms of them getting away from us.
Shade
Ooh, the heart attack candidate will be seething. Fancy losing up at Carlisle.
joes dad
Hit the post again, and scored from the rebound
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 16:31 Ooh, the heart attack candidate will be seething. Fancy losing up at Carlisle.
Hopefully they won't have anything to play for at season end
1985CTFC
joes dad wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 16:41 Hit the post again, and scored from the rebound
Ironic it was Loft who the PV forum have been slagging off all game. I guess now he is best thing since sliced bread. Hope it doesn't get them on a winning run, which I was afraid of.
Fuller
Stevenage missing Reid who scored for Northern Ireland last night.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 16:45
joes dad wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 16:41 Hit the post again, and scored from the rebound
Ironic it was Loft who the PV forum have been slagging off all game. I guess now he is best thing since sliced bread. Hope it doesn't get them on a winning run, which I was afraid of.
Me too. A draw would have felt like a demoralising defeat for both sides. Now Vale will have some belief.

On the bright side, Burton looks as bang out of form as Cambridge, losing at home to Vale. But I still expect both of them to pick up and get 2 or 3 wins once we get to within a point of them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Win the games we need to and we’re up.
Red Duke
1985CTFC wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 16:45
Loft missed a sitter in the first half. Through with only the keeper to beat and he put it wide.
Ihearye
Firmly back in our own hands if we have the balls for it
1985CTFC
Super Computer says YES.
Not sure I agree with the bottom 4 though. Port Vales win will give them a huge boost and would expect them to beat Brizz R at home next and confidence will be high after. Burton must be on a downer and could be difficult to get over todays defeat. So Carlisle, Fleetwood, Cambridge and Burton for me. Until next Friday at 5pm at least.

Super Computer Results if you believe a computer can predict !!! Still it is nice a silicon chip thinks we can do it.
https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/03/19/hea ... predicted/
vickeryc
The result we didn't want today was a Burton win and our wish was granted 👍 It means they are now catchable (as are Vale).

Looking at the form of the bottom 6 since the turn of the year, no one has excelled, though the Robins have fared best with 4 wins and 3 draws from 14 games (1.07 ppg). Vale's form, until today, was particularly dire - this was their first win of 2024 and they have averaged a meagre 0.47 ppg (the same as Carlisle). Of the other three teams, Fleetwood have averaged 1.0 ppg and Burton and Cambridge both 0.8 ppg.

On paper, we have the least difficult run-in and 5 of our remaining 9 games are at home. The matches at Burton and Fleetwood are obviously pivotal and we can't afford to lose either of them. If we were to win both, I think we would probably survive.
Leckyfan
Definitely all eyes on Cambridge and Burton over Easter (although DC will rightly say our own results are the most important).

Interestingly, both Cambridge and Burton have managed just one point from their last 7 games (Cambridge by drawing at home to Northampton, and Burton by drawing away at Whaddon Road).

Cambridge arguably the more demoralised, though, after thumpings (6-0, then 4-0) in their last two games, while Burton only suffered 1-0 defeats.

Another quirky piece of symmetry coming up: Good Friday sees Cambridge away to Barnsley, and Burton away to Wigan; then Easter Monday sees Cambridge home to Wigan, and Burton home to Barnsley.

So, Barnsley and Wigan could do us some massive favours, if they perform well over Easter. But all academic, of course, unless we pick up the necessary points (minimum 4?) from Fleetwood and Exeter.
vickeryc
Yes, exactly 👍. Our destiny is dependent on our own results more than what others do. However, a helping hand here and there always helps! Our biggest problem all season has been having to make up lost ground. We've effectively had to do twice as well as teams above us just to get ourselves into a competitive position. Burton's defeat yesterday means we can overtake them, though we still have to win our games in hand. Thankfully, Burton, Cambridge and Vale's awful form gives us hope that our own mediocre recent form might be enough to overtake at least two of them 🤞. All of this is dependent on not losing our games at Fleetwood and Burton.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 20:58 Super Computer says YES.
Not sure I agree with the bottom 4 though. Port Vales win will give them a huge boost and would expect them to beat Brizz R at home next and confidence will be high after. Burton must be on a downer and could be difficult to get over todays defeat. So Carlisle, Fleetwood, Cambridge and Burton for me. Until next Friday at 5pm at least.

Super Computer Results if you believe a computer can predict !!! Still it is nice a silicon chip thinks we can do it.
I've seen quite a few predicted final tables floating around social media and the majority of ppl/journo's seem to have us surviving. Let's hope they're correct.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 11:41

I've seen quite a few predicted final tables floating around social media and the majority of ppl/journo's seem to have us surviving. Let's hope they're correct.
I did notice this same 'super computer' predicted France to beat Germany 2 - 0 the other day and it ended the other way around at 2 nil to Germany. Says it all really especially on a one off game. Stats are ok for trends over a period of time, ie the safe number of points at 48 since mid October. We shall see as they say.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 12:13
Shade wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 11:41

I did notice this same 'super computer' predicted France to beat Germany 2 - 0 the other day and it ended the other way around at 2 nil to Germany. Says it all really especially on a one off game. Stats are ok for trends over a period of time, ie the safe number of points at 48 since mid October. We shall see as they say.
The ones I saw weren't computer predictions, but people generally predicting the final table after predicting every teams remaining fixtures. Most seemed to have us above the dotted line. It's all nonsense really but I'd rather go with what people think than a computer.
asl
I like to think your average 'super computer' has more important things to be doing than randomly generating numbers and calling them 'match results'...

In fairness, I did once, for a while, run my home accounts off an Oracle Apps system (CE, AR and AP, for anyone who knows!) on a very expensive server and RAID array at work.

And me and a mate did set up a mini network in the 90's at a certain nearby government department [ahem], that was primarily used to play Descent on - so maybe they do...
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 18:14 I like to think your average 'super computer' has more important things to be doing than randomly generating numbers and calling them 'match results'...

In fairness, I did once, for a while, run my home accounts off an Oracle Apps system (CE, AR and AP, for anyone who knows!) on a very expensive server and RAID array at work.

And me and a mate did set up a mini network in the 90's at a certain nearby government department [ahem], that was primarily used to play Descent on - so maybe they do...
It did call itself a super computer, think it meant a super sinclair ZX81, The beauty of football is you can never tell a result before the game is played, well not 100% or else we would all do the pools.
Hence we are just as likely lose to Fleetwood and go away and nick a 1-0 at L Orient. You just can't tell. BTW hope we don't lose to Fleetwood.
Need to look back at my predictions, because I am sure I had Carlisle, Fleetwood, PortVale and Cambridge in the bottom 4.
If I am right at season end I wish to be known as Super Brain!
1985CTFC
longmover
1985CTFC wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 15:56 Looks like Reading are saved

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/m ... t-26Mar24/
Don't worry all this nonsense with them will be repeated in five years time.
Shade
Two months of negotiations? Can see it collapsing before then.
ctfc-fan
Two months, then it will collapse once they’ve missed the points deduction and stayed up….
Warwickshire Robin
Seems like Carlisle's terrible season goes from bad to worse:-

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/2423 ... ers-night/

Hopefully half the squad will be suspended for Tuesday!!
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 12:54 Seems like Carlisle's terrible season goes from bad to worse:-

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/2423 ... ers-night/

Hopefully half the squad will be suspended for Tuesday!!
I would much rather they went out for a couple :)
Jerry St Clair
Stevenage rapidly descending the table. They have play off six pointers against Barnsley and Oxford coming up. Then Burton, then us.

High chance they’ll be on the beach when we visit Broadhall Way on the final day.
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 21:04 Stevenage rapidly descending the table. They have play off six pointers against Barnsley and Oxford coming up. Then Burton, then us.

High chance they’ll be on the beach when we visit Broadhall Way on the final day.
I find that very hard to believe. Final day at home after what will still have been a very successful season for them, with that fat b#!#%#d in charge. Matthews and Halliwell basically said the same about Orient and look what happened there. No pressure on, they curled in three beauties.