Teams around us - Thread to season end

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
After todays results we are no longer favourites for relegation! Bookies now have it with Port Vale (1/1) and Shrewsbury (7/4) to join Fleetwood (1/25) Carlisle (1/100) whilst we are 9/4 and Charlton 3/1.
Shade
asl wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 18:48 A few chants of "You can stick your Malvinas up your arse" and "who sank your Belgrano - we did" will soon show him what we're about.
Or maybe as they took in quite a few of those naughty Nazis after WWII, "one Falklands and two world wars, do da, do da".
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 19:41 After todays results we are no longer favourites for relegation! Bookies now have it with Port Vale (1/1) and Shrewsbury (7/4) to join Fleetwood (1/25) Carlisle (1/100) whilst we are 9/4 and Charlton 3/1.
Looking at Cambridges situation and form and their fixtures to season end I would have expected them to be favs for the drop, along with Carlisle and Fleetwood. PV not getting any new manager bounce either.
Going to be a key game in about 10 days time against Charlton. Shrews just seem to get that odd win to keep their head above water. Reading need to be careful if they can't keep there reasonable form going .
My worry for us, is injuries to the forward line. Need to do a bit of training on false number nines just in case!
Shade
From memory it's Vale v Fleetwood on Tuesday. Massive game for both clubs. A draw no good for either in the long run, but defeat for either and they look done for.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 16:54
Red Duke wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:37
Shade wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 22:23 Vale lose their game in hand over us at Reading. Reading now onto 38 points, along with Cambridge, who lost at home to Notlob.

Us on 32, Charlton on 33, Shrews 35, then 4 teams on 38. Wigan next on 40, then two in that group on 38, and then it's Charlton...

Hold onto your hats, boys and girls.
Shade, you must be a fan of Monty Python! "Notlob - a palindrome of Bolton" - a bit from the dead parrot sketch! :D
That and Nodnol, from an episode of Red Dwarf (Backwards) always stuck in my head after watching when I was young :lol: Always looked for words that sounded good backwards after that. Ecilop being a favourite.

Anyway, back to the llabtoof...
Did you read Esiotroit as a kid?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shrews winning at Reading a bit annoying but I guess they couldn’t both lose.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 00:29 Shrews winning at Reading a bit annoying but I guess they couldn’t both lose.
Some good goals in this game. The first Shrewsbury one must be up there for goal of the season. Well worth a look on the highlights.
Wellwisher
Ihearye wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 16:59 On the whole not a bad day, even Exeter within our own hands
Was at Exeter v Fleetwood on Saturday.

ECFC were ok in the first half (1-0 up at H-T), but had little or nothing in the final third. Fleetwood were beyond woeful.

At H-T, FTFC manager Charlie Adam made 4 substitutions and it worked - for 30 mins they were the better team (last 15 was more even) and deserved their 1-1 draw.

But. Neither team looked much to me - hardly surprising when you see where they are in the table tbf and in particular, neither team looked up to much when it came to actually scoring, or even testing the gk. If on their game, I'd say Cheltenham should hope to take at least 4, and possibly 6, points from the two games to come against them.

As regards players to watch, CTFC better hope ECFC's Sinisalo (Finnish gk on loan from A.Villa) has a bad day, since he looked allright to me and apparently he has the best xGoals save rate (+8) in the entire 92. And their other Finn Niskanen (signed from Dundee) looks like he could play at a higher level. No-one from FTFC particularly stood out, but then I'm not familiar with any of their players.

Finally, ECFC fans don't seem keen on manager Caldwell, while local hero Mo Eisa nearly kicked the dugout down when substituted with 15 mins to go. Discontent in the ranks?

P.S. Very good/noisy crowd of 6,547, though only 100(?) travelling from Fleetwood.
RobinHood
Reading expected to be deducted 2 more points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RobinHood wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 11:56 Reading expected to be deducted 2 more points.
We’ll have to wait and see if it helps us. I’d rather we had back our own two points we binned against them.
Benhall-Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:34
RobinHood wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 11:56 Reading expected to be deducted 2 more points.
We’ll have to wait and see if it helps us. I’d rather we had back our own two points we binned against them.
Obviously, however that is football and we were not good enough to win the match. Reading shaded the second 45.

Anyway, this has to be seen as an unexpected bonus. Before this evening's match this would see Reading 3 points ahead of us having played 3 games more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benhall-Robin wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 13:10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:34
Obviously, however that is football and we were not good enough to win the match. Reading shaded the second 45.

Anyway, this has to be seen as an unexpected bonus. Before this evening's match this would see Reading 3 points ahead of us having played 3 games more.
True. As DC says, we have to look forward and not back as we can’t change what has happened.
Shade
Now confirmed. They drop to 19th.
Ihearye
And that sees them drop below CTFC in the relegation betting to 6/4 compared to our 5/2
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cambridge, Burton, Shrews, Charlton all losing at HT.
Shade
Charlton seem to have turned the corner with a new manager. 2 draws against Pompey and Bolton and now what looks like a win at 2nd placed Derby and they've matched them on the stats too, so not a smash and grab.
Shade
Pett absolutely pole-axed, ref couldn't give a toss.
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:35 Charlton seem to have turned the corner with a new manager. 2 draws against Pompey and Bolton and now what looks like a win at 2nd placed Derby and they've matched them on the stats too, so not a smash and grab.
I didn't expect Charlton to go down anyway. Its the likes of Shrews, Burton, Cambridge we're looking at imo
CTFCfan99
Fleetwood have equalised at port vale!
Shade
Well that's a big Brucey bonus if it ends like that.
Shade
And it has. Like in our game, two very late goals. Fleetwood battered Vale on the stats.
Jerry St Clair
Bravo Fleetwood. That’s a gut punch for Vale.
1985CTFC
Not Larry, not Neil, but Simon. Talk on Cambridge forum that Simon Grayson lined up to take over from N Harris as manager. Not sure if that is good or bad for them. Not had much success for about 10yrs according to their forum. Overall good news for us if he gets appointed is my thought. Should be clear by Monday who they have appointed.

Ooops maybe not Grayson now...talk of Mark Kennedy or even Derek Adams! Basically no one knows.
Whoever they appoint has a major task with a possible relegation on their CV. Games running out and they have a tough run in. Not looking good at the moment. Would like Cambridge to stay up.
Ihearye
most scores going against us currently
Jerry St Clair
Burton and Reading lost. Cambridge drew. Shrews won at Port Vale so a double edged sword there. Fleetwood get a point.

Could have been worse but means f#!$ all if we keep losing.
CTFCfan99
Need to win 5 or 6 of the last 10. Ain't happening.
Fuller
CTFCfan99 wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:16 Need to win 5 or 6 of the last 10. Ain't happening.
We needed to win 5 or 6 after the Port Vale game when we still had 15 matches to go. Five games since have yielded two points and three defeats to late goals.
As DC just said on the radio too many weak minds on the pitch.
1985CTFC
Saturday is a day where things may become a little clearer with Burton at home to PortVale.
I presume a draw would be the ideal result for us. A win for Portvale may give them confidence to go on a little run with their up and coming games. Again we don't want Burton getting 3 points and stretching the gap. We need them to stay with Cambridge and ourselves to fight it out for the last spot in the battle.

Football being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Portvale win, just so it complicates things for us.

Fleetwood away isn't going to be easy either. We going to be happy with a point and try and get 3 at home on the monday?
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 12:16 Saturday is a day where things may become a little clearer with Burton at home to PortVale.
I presume a draw would be the ideal result for us. A win for Portvale may give them confidence to go on a little run with their up and coming games. Again we don't want Burton getting 3 points and stretching the gap. We need them to stay with Cambridge and ourselves to fight it out for the last spot in the battle.

Football being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Portvale win, just so it complicates things for us.

Fleetwood away isn't going to be easy either. We going to be happy with a point and try and get 3 at home on the monday?
I've never seen Port Vale as Portvale before. Whichever one turns up, anything other than a draw is a bad result for us. Worst result is a Burton win.

We can't be happy with anything less than 3 points at Fleetwood, unless we absolutely steal a point. We have to beat the teams down around us and in the bottom half now. We have to be looking for 6 points over Easter. Games are running out.
QED
With everyone’s form at the moment, 45 points could end up being enough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 12:25
1985CTFC wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 12:16 Saturday is a day where things may become a little clearer with Burton at home to PortVale.

I've never seen Port Vale as Portvale before. Whichever one turns up, anything other than a draw is a bad result for us. Worst result is a Burton win.

We can't be happy with anything less than 3 points at Fleetwood, unless we absolutely steal a point. We have to beat the teams down around us and in the bottom half now. We have to be looking for 6 points over Easter. Games are running out.
I’d opt for a Vale win over Burton. It’s more important we have teams to catch and if we win the games in hand to catch Burton and Cambridge by default we would overtake Vale as well.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 13:47

I’d opt for a Vale win over Burton. It’s more important we have teams to catch and if we win the games in hand to catch Burton and Cambridge by default we would overtake Vale as well.
Always had this feeling that vale could go on a tasty run after they get their first win.
1985CTFC
longmover wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 14:22

Always had this feeling that vale could go on a tasty run after they get their first win.
That's my worry as well. They were not diabolically bad when we played them at home.
1985CTFC
QED wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 12:35 With everyone’s form at the moment, 45 points could end up being enough.
Stats still showing 48 points at the moment for safety. Going to be interesting if it does become lower.
Probably help us if it does lower????? Surely we can reach 45...can't we?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 14:22

If we overtake two teams who cares what Vale do.