Match off tomorrow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2024/january/ ... postponed/

Always a shame when Saturday games are called off, some of us make a day of it.
horlickfanclub
Rubbish decision. Far too early to call off with no frost tonight and warming in the morning. Was Dickie Bird making the decision?
andgarod
we know its the hazelwood end thats the problem
The forecast I saw was -1 tonight
My front garden which is north facing has not defrosted for 3 days minimum
Hopefully Boltons game is on tomorrow
I wonder if the delay in bring in players swayed the decision to call it off today
Saves us having to pay for the carlisle supporters minibus

I have a soil warming mat for the greenhouse I can lend
asl
Maybe you need to get your obvious skills and knowledge in this subject made official, horlick? Seems a shame for the club to miss out on revenue simply because the experts who are currently available know nothing and it's quite obvious to your vast experience without even seeing the Hazelewood end, that the pitch will be fine by 15:00 tomorrow.
Fuller
This is one of the problems in playing opposition from the other end of the country in the middle of winter.
If we'd been playing for example Bristol Rovers, a decision could be made in the morning.
It's frustrating for everyone.

It's about time we invested in some under soil heating :lol:
Last edited by Fuller on 19 Jan 2024, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
longmover
The away end gets very little sun, the damage has been done with the recent temperatures so even if it doesn't freeze overnight its still not warm enough or time enough to be playable.

Imagine the fall out if this was called off tomorrow morning, make the call early considering the opposition.
Ben3
horlickfanclub wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:07 Rubbish decision. Far too early to call off with no frost tonight and warming in the morning. Was Dickie Bird making the decision?
Here here! Sack the board
horlickfanclub
asl wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:18 Maybe you need to get your obvious skills and knowledge in this subject made official, horlick? Seems a shame for the club to miss out on revenue simply because the experts who are currently available know nothing and it's quite obvious to your vast experience without even seeing the Hazelewood end, that the pitch will be fine by 15:00 tomorrow.
I said its far too early to call off. Another look later might have been useful. I did not say it will be fine.
1985CTFC
May be with some of the money, we invest in keeping the pitch playable. All those solar panels to power some heat lights above the pitch!!!!
Still it gives us a few extra days to get everyone fit and maybe an addition or two and hone our tactics for Bolton on Tuesday. Good thing I reckon, especially as they have had Luton and hopefully a tough game at Orient while we prepare.
Wellwisher
horlickfanclub wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:36 I said its far too early to call off. Another look later might have been useful. I did not say it will be fine.
The Carlisle team coach will likely have been planning to set off around now, so I guess they asked for an early inspection, just in case.

Thereafter it's up to the Referee and the Met Office.
Malabus
We have a front coming from the south which we will see milder temperatures and that will be felt tomorrow, very much milder. If we can't play in 7c temperatures then move the season to spring/summer.

Do the people that make these foolish decisions look at the weather models, it not rocket science and weather models are just a click away.

This will suit Carlisle greatly, rubbing their hands, getting their new signings gelling firmly.
Malabus
Wellwisher wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:44
horlickfanclub wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:36 I said its far too early to call off. Another look later might have been useful. I did not say it will be fine.
The Carlisle team coach will likely have been planning to set off around now, so I guess they asked for an early inspection, just in case.

No referee will make that decision on a Friday morning. Its the club novice ways again.
Nham68
Malabus wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:54 We have a front coming from the south which we will see milder temperatures and that will be felt tomorrow, very much milder. If we can't play in 7c temperatures then move the season to spring/summer.

Do the people that make these foolish decisions look at the weather models, it not rocket science and weather models are just a click away.

This will suit Carlisle greatly, rubbing their hands, getting their new signings gelling firmly.
You hit the nail on the head . Tomorrow is when the front comes in. Not today , The temperatures don’t rise fast enough to thaw a very solid area of the pitch . You need sustained time of elevated temp to effect a thaw.

It is indeed not rocket science .
Wellwisher
Malabus wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:55
Wellwisher wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:44

No referee will make that decision on a Friday morning. Its the club novice ways again.
From the OS:
"A Football League appointed match official conducted an 11AM pitch inspection at the Completely-Suzuki Stadium this morning.
After consultation with the Football League the decision has been made to postpone tommorow's fixture."

(Though they did spell tomorrow wrongly, I'll give you that. Maybe they were expecting a further bad spell of whether? ;) )
Shade
FFS. We were supposed to have Carlisle and then Burton in the next 4 days. Now we just have Bolton away and two fixtures to rearrange. Let's hope that we also take advantage of January and are stronger by the time we play them.
andgarod
Hey Mal as these the same forecasters you rely on your biblical forecast for weather

Anyway car has defrosted sitting in sun
Garden hast not - not in sun

In Scotland I understand there is a 100 mile rule
If teams are 100 miles apart inspection on the day before is acceptable
Shade
Only games off so far are us and Welling. We'll be sat around twiddling our thumbs tomorrow while the pitch is actually perfectly playable.
steveinblack
What's happened to the frost covers?
andgarod
they were on for days see OS
Warwickshire Robin
Games at Swindon (who were due to play Tranmere) and Wimbledon off as well now. There are a fair few fixtures which involve long journeys tomorrow (Bristol Rovers v Blackpool, Fleetwood v Portsmouth, Orient v Bolton to name a few) so will be interesting to see how they are dealt with in terms of inspections/cancelations.
Si Robin
Carlisle would have been travelling down today - if we left it until tomorrow and then called it off, I'm sure I read somewhere that we would be liable for their travel costs.

As everyone knows, the front of that Hazelwood's stand gets no sunlight so it's more cost-effective to postpone than wait.

I imagine the club would much rather it be on, given it was Kids for a Quid and most of the seating was already sold out. Carlisle fans travel well also, so their attendance will drop on a Tuesday night as well.
Playmeuptop
Really wanted this on and hoped to see 3pts in the bag before two very difficult away games .
paperboy
Spare a thought for Dartford who travelled to Truro on Tuesday, a mere 570 mile round trip, only for the match referee to rule the pitch unplayable.

Truro said they were disappointed as their team was happy to play.🤔
Horteng
Pathetic.

We are L1 not Sunday league

I think we need new frost covers if they can’t handle a couple of over night frosts :(
Ihearye
Horteng wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 15:18 Pathetic.

I think we need new frost covers if they can’t handle a couple of over night frosts :(
Indeed, the capability of the covers must be questioned surely? I don't think we have gone below -7 all week (if that is the protection afforded), but even if it was only -5 protection, this should have protected the areas for the vast majority of the cold spell and at the most let only a couple of degrees of frost in for a few hours?

Must be worthwhile considering the options with some of our huge windfall ;)
Malabus
Just been out, pleasantly warm in the air, chill almost gone. Hey hoo.
horlickfanclub
Get some sheep wool covers. Works on my shrub borders.
shevates
Horteng wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 15:18 Pathetic.

The frost sheets we have will operate to a temperature of minus 5 once it goes any lower the frost has set into the ground. When the 500 club bought them they were top of the range, whether they still are I don't know. As said else where the away end gets no sun to help the defrost
Fuller
When we played Newcastle in the FA Cup in January 2006 we were in the middle of a cold spell. If I recall correctly the BBC wanted to make sure the game was on and it was a noon kick off on the Saturday and an upset was on the cards and Souness was about to get the boot.
So the BBC paid for extra frost protection for the pitch, think they got extra blankets from the racecourse?
I was in hospitality that day but I remember it’s was real brass monkey weather. Ok we lost 0-2, but it was a great day. Loved that season under Wardy.
Broadway Brian
Darrell wanted this off
shevates
Fuller wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 20:04 When we played Newcastle in the FA Cup in January 2006 we were in the middle of a cold spell. If I recall correctly the BBC wanted to make sure the game was on and it was a noon kick off on the Saturday and an upset was on the cards and Souness was about to get the boot.
So the BBC paid for extra frost protection for the pitch, think they got extra blankets from the racecourse?
I was in hospitality that day but I remember it’s was real brass monkey weather. Ok we lost 0-2, but it was a great day. Loved that season under Wardy.
They were the exact frost sheets the 500 club invested in
Wellwisher
As of 18.00:

Cheltenham v Carlisle and Port Vale v Wycombe in League One are among 12 matches to be postponed because of frozen pitches.

Five games in League Two have been postponed, including Friday's match between Salford and Colchester.

AFC Wimbledon v Crawley, Bradford v Doncaster, Mansfield v Sutton and Swindon v Tranmere will not go ahead.

Five games have also been called off in the National League, with more matches expected to be postponed.

Covers had been on Mansfield's One Call Stadium pitch for the past 10 days but, while they said industrial hot-air blowers were also used to thaw the pitch, it was not enough to deal with conditions that dropped to -7C in the Nottinghamshire town.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68016943
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 21:42
Fuller wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 20:04 When we played Newcastle in the FA Cup in January 2006 we were in the middle of a cold spell. If I recall correctly the BBC wanted to make sure the game was on and it was a noon kick off on the Saturday and an upset was on the cards and Souness was about to get the boot.
They were the exact frost sheets the 500 club invested in
It was a great investment Shev.
shevates
TY RCS appreciated
Shade
Fuller wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 20:04 I was in hospitality that day but I remember it’s was real brass monkey weather.
I'm pretty sure my feet are still warming up.