Now we have our own solar power

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
With all the solar panels we have should we now have undersoil heating installed at the next pitch relay
My soil warming cabled is not big but is not expensive and with free electricity
Just asking :D
asl
I don't think that's a bad shout, actually... Obviously, the cost/benefit analysis for the solar panels would have modelled out expected energy usage/sales - and probably this suggestion would blow those models out the window.
1985CTFC
You beat me to it from the cancelled thread. Have seen heat lamps used at some grounds, cheaper than undersoil .
ctfc-fan
andgarod wrote:With all the solar panels we have should we now have undersoil heating installed at the next pitch relay
My soil warming cabled is not big but is not expensive and with free electricity
You do realise those panels produce electricity and that would cost more to run under the pitch than was produced? Are you getting confused with wet underfloor heating/solar thermal?
asl
1985CTFC wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:41Have seen heat lamps used at some grounds, cheaper than undersoil .
:shock: I'd love to see the figures you have that prove that! :shock:

Besides, we have...what? At worst, three home games postponed due to a frozen pitch in any given year? Bet it's usually just one. Any outlay would have to cover the costs of those 1-3 postponements. Sure, it's annoying when it happens - but I doubt it happens often enough to make it a worthwhile investment.
andgarod
ctfc-fan wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:51
andgarod wrote:With all the solar panels we have should we now have undersoil heating installed at the next pitch relay
You do realise those panels produce electricity and that would cost more to run under the pitch than was produced? Are you getting confused with wet underfloor heating/solar thermal?
No I am not getting confused the cable is 3m long you lay it in a zigzag cover it with soil or sand and away you go
You can have a thermostat to control temperature
There are also heating pipes
Lights might work
There would be an intial outlay but its the free electricity could make all the differenc

I am sure Mr Bence could supply at cost

Anyway we need under soil heating for being in the premiere league as we are so well run thats where we are headed :P
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:53
1985CTFC wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:41Have seen heat lamps used at some grounds, cheaper than undersoil .
:shock: I'd love to see the figures you have that prove that! :shock:

Besides, we have...what? At worst, three home games postponed due to a frozen pitch in any given year? Bet it's usually just one. Any outlay would have to cover the costs of those 1-3 postponements. Sure, it's annoying when it happens - but I doubt it happens often enough to make it a worthwhile investment.
Love to see your figures that disprove it!
Probably lose on attendance as mid week games in some cases produce lower attendance. Especially cold wet and miserable evenings. Drop off in visiting fans from Carlisle on mid week game as well.
andgarod
really drop off in carlisle fans visiting from less than 100 to even less than 100
paperboy
1985CTFC wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:41 You beat me to it from the cancelled thread. Have seen heat lamps used at some grounds, cheaper than undersoil .
Better still we could ask to borrow some from the chippie up the road.😉
Si Robin
andgarod wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 14:17 really drop off in carlisle fans visiting from less than 100 to even less than 100
I don't think Carlisle have ever brought less than 100 to Whaddon Road.
ctfc-fan
andgarod wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:51
No I am not getting confused the cable is 3m long you lay it in a zigzag cover it with soil or sand and away you go
You can have a thermostat to control temperature
There are also heating pipes
Lights might work
There would be an intial outlay but its the free electricity could make all the differenc

I am sure Mr Bence could supply at cost

Anyway we need under soil heating for being in the premiere league as we are so well run thats where we are headed :P
The power required by electric heat mats would far exceed what was being produced by the panels. If you wanted to consider ground or air source and pump heated liquid round tubes it might be slightly more viable but not a lot. It certainly wouldn’t cost nothing to run.
everyman
andgarod wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:18 With all the solar panels we have should we now have undersoil heating installed at the next pitch relay
No need for any of that technology,global warming will take care of our pitch ;)