3 years ago today

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Man City at home in the FA Cup. A great day for the club but would have been a million times better if we could have been there.
Looking through the team sheet of the squad that day only four are still here, Freestone and Lloyd started, Long was on the bench together with Max Harris. We must have been so short of players that Flinders was named as a sub as well.
It was on the Sunday evening and what an upset that would have been if we’d held on for another 10 minutes in front of a tv audience of several million.
Si Robin
Saturday evening.
PCrobin
Unforgettable night, I still watch the replay of Alfie's goal if I'm feeling a bit depressed..

Did they ever find out who the twat was letting off fireworks outside the ground?! 😉
Jerry St Clair
Maybe I’m in a minority, but I feel very “meh” about that game. The lack of fans massively diminished it in my mind. The fact I wasn’t there means I have no stellar memories from it. It looked for all the world like a behind closed doors pre-season friendly.

Such a shame and the biggest realisation I had during the pandemic that football with fans is nothing.
Shade
With all due respect, I think that you are indeed in the minority. Of course it was a massive shame we couldn't be there, but that maybe played into our favour in the match. But the fact it was live on BBC1 prime time Saturday evening and all the build up to it and praise after definitely made it feel like a special occasion. Plus we got the big screen out of it thanks in part to Man City fans donations.
Si Robin
I said on the podcast WhatsApp earlier - I think the fact no fans were allowed meant it gives the game a bit of an aura. It's not like the big games where some missed out due to ticketing and therefore feel left out of the occasion. None of us were there so we all watched and enjoyed it in our own ways.

I could have sworn we've had the big screen for more than 3 years btw.
Jerry St Clair
The big screen was crowdfunded in, gulp, 2016. Forever ago.

IIRC, fans, including City fans, were invited to buy virtual tickets. The City fans were incredibly generous, so we rewarded them by allowing them to send flags down to display in the Colin Farmer. It all boosted the coffers immensely.
PCrobin
Yes, I've still got a print out of my virtual ticket as a souvenir. Bought the programme too, with Oasis on the cover?
Ihearye
I still get a shock when I walk into the spare room and staring at me is my cardboard cutout in my covid hairstyle
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 15:29 The big screen was crowdfunded in, gulp, 2016. Forever ago.

IIRC, fans, including City fans, were invited to buy virtual tickets. The City fans were incredibly generous, so we rewarded them by allowing them to send flags down to display in the Colin Farmer. It all boosted the coffers immensely.
Jebus, 2016?! I remember now, you're correct of course.