Bolton Wanderers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:01 I'm telling myself that we never expected to beat or get much from Portsmouth, Bolton or Derby so we're in credit for these games no matter the result tonight or Saturday.
Same, best way to cope. Never mind a draw, we should have won today.
Fuller
We need to spend £250k on a proven goalscorer. The chances are being made.
What’d reckon?
paperboy
Fuller wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:07 We need to spend £250k on a proven goalscorer. The chances are being made.
What’d reckon?
Agree, trouble is where can you find a proven goal scorer for 250k.

It would need to be a 30 year old with no resale value.
Fuller
What’s the cost of relegation?
Artemis
Fuller wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:49 What’s the cost of relegation?
What's the cost of relegation with 250k less to spend? The last time we gambled on staying up nearly bankrupted the club.
Artemis
There will be strikers out there with experience, perhaps free agents, like Pett and Harry's, who've had an injury hit last couple of years. That way, should we fail to stay up (and I think we will fall short), we don't end up in financial mire.
In DC we trust to get them signed up.
Uppy
Gutted about that result. We deserved at least a point but they scored one of their only chances and we can’t convert. That’s the difference sometimes. When you throw in terrible officials it’s difficult to overcome. Can’t fault the effort - DC has them fighting.
Shade
To be fair to them, most of the Bolton fans I've seen on twitter acknowledged we were by far the better team and they can't believe Lloyd's goal was disallowed either.

Makes you wonder even more what the linesman was looking at when the home fans don't even agree.
Wellwisher
paperboy wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:35
Fuller wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:07 We need to spend £250k on a proven goalscorer. The chances are being made.
What’d reckon?
Agree, trouble is where can you find a proven goal scorer for 250k.

It would need to be a 30 year old with no resale value.
That fella at Charlton maybe? Alfie something? ;)
Garby74
We had 2 goal scorers.
We sold them both for pittance.

Funny old game...football 😄 😆 🤣
Si Robin
Claiming Goodwin going for pittance when he's our second highest ever sale is quite a stretch, I must admit.
Jim
Demoralising result last night, and the Lloyd offside decision was a real gut-punch, but I believe these things even themselves out over a season - which means we're due a few favourable calls in the coming weeks!

Encouraged by the display though, plenty of reasons to be positive of a good result on Saturday.
Malabus
I got the impression that Ben Speedie (referee) made the final decision on Lloyd perfect goal.

Keep a eye on the referee in the future because that isn’t the last we will see of him.
paperboy
Si Robin wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 08:18 Claiming Goodwin going for pittance when he's our second highest ever sale is quite a stretch, I must admit.

Well he was mentioned as being a little like Erling Haaland this week so time will tell if it was a pittance.
Seemed good business to me.

Sligo fans probably thinking getting 100k for their old striker was good business too.
shevates
Malabus wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 08:42 I got the impression that Ben Speedie (referee) made the final decision on Lloyd perfect goal.

Keep a eye on the referee in the future because that isn’t the last we will see of him.
In fairness to the ref, he had to go by the linesmans decision, the ref gave the goal, then changed his decision on the advice of that mucking foron with the flag in his hand instead of up his jacksy. I'm not one to moan at officials but last night it was poor, how Bradbury got away with the handball in the penalty area was baffling.
Overall you can't knock the lads, the improvement continues, but the games are getting less. Really felt for them last night didn't deserve that outcome one bit, heads held up high lads
Ihearye
paperboy wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 08:47
Si Robin wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 08:18 Claiming Goodwin going for pittance when he's our second highest ever sale is quite a stretch, I must admit.

Well he was mentioned as being a little like Erling Haaland this week so time will tell if it was a pittance.
Seemed good business to me.

Sligo fans probably thinking getting 100k for their old striker was good business too.
It will only prove to be good business if we can bring in a suitable and equal replacement. Doc's comment that it was ' a good deal for the club ', didn't sound to me like a ringing endorsement.
We can't expect Lloyd and street to be chasing 90 mins a match until the end of the season. Let's face it, no-one else will be doing it as it sits at present
CTFCfan99
Be a relief when Bolton go up, their fans are insufferable c**** almost to a man. Bit of goodwill between the clubs in the last 10 days is fully out the window in my view. Tossers.
everyman
MacRobin wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 19:52 Finding this commentator on Radio Glos unnecessarily dramatic and pretty bloody irritating tbh!

Sounds like Halliwell is equally unimpressed.
He kept talking over M.H. :lol:
everyman
CTFCfan99 wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:05
Shade wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:01 I'm telling myself that we never expected to beat or get much from Portsmouth, Bolton or Derby so we're in credit for these games no matter the result tonight or Saturday.
Same, best way to cope. Never mind a draw, we should have won today.
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOODWIN ???
HamTown
CTFCfan99 wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 10:38 Be a relief when Bolton go up, their fans are insufferable c**** almost to a man. Bit of goodwill between the clubs in the last 10 days is fully out the window in my view. Tossers.
Totally agree, absolutely my least favourite fans in the EFL.
longmover
CTFCfan99 wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 10:38 Be a relief when Bolton go up, their fans are insufferable c**** almost to a man. Bit of goodwill between the clubs in the last 10 days is fully out the window in my view. Tossers.
they do seem to think they are really BIG time, I suppose when you're in the shadow of really big clubs in that part of the world you tend to play the big man in the minors and again another club that was staring oblivion in the face after financial mishaps in their glory days you'd think they'd have some humility about them.

I don't mind arrogant fans if you have something to be arrogant about.
Warwickshire Robin
To be fair, a quick glance through a couple of Bolton Forums and they are generally giving us credit and saying how they were fortunate to get one point let alone three.

Interestingly they are also saying that Lloydy's 'goal' was disallowed for one of our players blocking off Santos I think, not offside. Even then, they are saying 99 times out of 100 it wouldn't have been given.
shevates
Same here I found them complimentary, a few said if a neutral was watching they'd say we were at the top and not in the bottom 4
Shade
No chance. Lino definitely flagged for offside, and the ref wouldn't have talked to him about it if it was for a defender being blocked off.

Re Bradbury handball in the area. I know I'm biased, but I don't remember that!?
horlickfanclub
everyman wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 10:42
MacRobin wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 19:52 Finding this commentator on Radio Glos unnecessarily dramatic and pretty bloody irritating tbh!

What goes around......
Alf
Shade wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 21:41 Not for the first time recently, I'm ending a game by saying ROBBERY
everyman wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 10:42

Surely, especially when cancelling out goals is involved, the referees and assistants should be absolutely certain that their decision is correct. If there is any doubt at all then the goal should stand, there’s no room for guesswork. However, it seems that it’s easier to upset a small team in the relegation zone than one of the big boys that look like they might win something. From the comments on here it would seem that there are huge doubts about the decision and not for the first time this season!
I’m not a huge fan of VAR but I’m beginning to think that if we had it in League One we would be well out of the relegation zone by now…….or is it the standard of referees that needs examining?
longmover
Shade wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:10 No chance. Lino definitely flagged for offside, and the ref wouldn't have talked to him about it if it was for a defender being blocked off.
if it was a bolton free kick then we all know the officials would have no issues in awarding the goal.
Ihearye
But is it. Just because we sold a layer at 400+k years ago, doesn't really hold up for comparison. Today that would be around 710K. You can only really compare it with what is currently being paid for Upper L1 strikers, to determine if if is a low valuation or not
Si Robin
What has Steve Gillespie's sale got to do with anything I said?

Gillespie's was £400k if all clauses were met. None of them were even close, so he never went for £400k. I simply referred to Goodwin as our second highest ever sale because that is a fact - Mo Eisa is number 1, and Goodwin is number 2.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 14:45 What has Steve Gillespie's sale got to do with anything I said?

Gillespie's was £400k if all clauses were met. None of them were even close, so he never went for £400k. I simply referred to Goodwin as our second highest ever sale because that is a fact - Mo Eisa is number 1, and Goodwin is number 2.
It was in for a comparison re the 'pittance' viewpoint and also as a counterbalance to our 'freak' sale of Eisa. By implication you seem to suggest that because a person is our second biggest transfer, that in itself proves how true a valuation it was.

FYI the club site records SG fee as 400k - be that right or wrong
Shade
Alf wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:59

From the comments on here it would seem that there are huge doubts about the decision and not for the first time this season!
For those who haven't seen it, this is a screen grab from the moment Sercombe struck the free kick.

From right to left, we have Lloyd in the first oval, clearly miles onside.
In oval 2 we have Sean Long who, to me, looks like he's in line with the guy in oval 3, who is playing everyone onside. The line is where I'm judging the last Bolton defenders foot probably is.

In my mind, it doesn't even matter if Long was offside, which is what some Bolton fans seem to be claiming, as Lloyd was onside and Long was never involved or putting off the goalkeeper, etc. As the lino gave the offside 6 yards out, where Lloyd tapped in the rebound, he seems to have given the offside for that contact, even though he won the original header, so he couldn't possibly have been offside.
Shade
And just for full clarity of the situation, here's the moment Lloyd won the first header and then hit in the rebound

Alf
Shade wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 15:19
Alf wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:59

From the comments on here it would seem that there are huge doubts about the decision and not for the first time this season!
For those who haven't seen it, this is a screen grab from the moment Sercombe struck the free kick.

From right to left, we have Lloyd in the first oval, clearly miles onside.
In oval 2 we have Sean Long who, to me, looks like he's in line with the guy in oval 3, who is playing everyone onside. The line is where I'm judging the last Bolton defenders foot probably is.

In my mind, it doesn't even matter if Long was offside, which is what some Bolton fans seem to be claiming, as Lloyd was onside and Long was never involved or putting off the goalkeeper, etc. As the lino gave the offside 6 yards out, where Lloyd tapped in the rebound, he seems to have given the offside for that contact, even though he won the original header, so he couldn't possibly have been offside.
With all those players from both sides charging into the area, the Lino couldn’t be certain of an offside so he stuck his flag up to be on the safe side. As I said, if you’re not positive of an offside, don’t stick yer ******* flag up!
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:10 No chance. Lino definitely flagged for offside, and the ref wouldn't have talked to him about it if it was for a defender being blocked off.

Re Bradbury handball in the area. I know I'm biased, but I don't remember that!?
It was in the first half when he ended up on the floor with 2 Bolton players basically kicking him. He blocks a shot just before that which does hit his hand, but looks to me like it deflects off his body first: https://twitter.com/YasinAdam0/status/1 ... iGS3w&s=19
nickyjordan
Not my experience in the fans zone before game or the pub afterwards. Very friendly, knowledgeable and dedicated to football- including a guy who was 3 grounds short of completing the 92 grounds for a second time! Not to mention the large majority of their fans to our left respectfully applauding us at full time.