Derby County v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

triggo
We absolutely deserved to get something out of that. DCs tactics sucessfull for long periods of the game against a team, around the top and costing a lot more money !
Shame about the result but still lots of positives.
After the last two perfomances surely nothing to fear against any other team in the league. Now need to get points on the board and hope we have enough games.
Should have had a goal against Bolton but having watched it several times not convinced re the penalty yesterday.
As for the free kick, shyte defending. ,When the kicker takes a touch.
One defender closes him down not the whole wall !! Wall ended up disintegrating .
Class volley from Sercs which should have won us the game.
Still half glass full here.
plymrob
Re the Lloyd penalty, I was right behind the goal at the Derby end - and was half out my seat thinking it was... says a lot really, as I was obviously trying to hide my true affiliation! Needless to say, around me everyone thought Lloyd milked it - so I was maybe assumed to be making the same point but rather more enthusiastically... Two-nil would have been just great...

Fans around me also increasingly called out the ref as too pro-Cheltenham, although a more reasoned guy in the pub after thought Derby got the rub of the green from him...

Brilliant moment when the Sercombe deflected goal trickled over the line though! Stunned silence all around...

We certainly deserved a point.
1985CTFC
Big clubs with large home support I think get most 50/50s from the refs. 25K baying for a home decision must have some effect on the ref and assistants. Its human nature. A weak assistant ref with a home crowd behind him will I think more often than not will go with a big home crowd with a close decision.

Big home crowds I think have a big influence on why these clubs seem to gravitate to the top of the lower leagues.(Big budgets aside) We have seen a big noisy support can drag a poorly performing team to somehow get results they don't always deserve.
I always cring when an away team bring a full crowd and attack their own crowded away end when chasing a game. They get one and you just wait for the second.

I bet if we played in front of a home support of 25k our home record would be much better even with our existing players.
All sounds obvious but personally that's the reality of where we are.

ps Was a foul on Lloydy no doubt. If that was at Whaddon road with a full house we would have had it
CS85
plymrob wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 12:06 Re the Lloyd penalty, I was right behind the goal at the Derby end - and was half out my seat thinking it was... says a lot really, as I was obviously trying to hide my true affiliation! Needless to say, around me everyone thought Lloyd milked it - so I was maybe assumed to be making the same point but rather more enthusiastically... Two-nil would have been just great...

Fans around me also increasingly called out the ref as too pro-Cheltenham, although a more reasoned guy in the pub after thought Derby got the rub of the green from him...

Brilliant moment when the Sercombe deflected goal trickled over the line though! Stunned silence all around...

We certainly deserved a point.
When the derby manager comes out after the game and said cheltenham should have had a pen,id say we should have had a pen.
CTFC.Harry
They've had three chances yesterday and scored two of them. We had five and scored one of them. Football is a cruel game but the Forwards weren't clinical. The things I'd do for a Number 9 like Collins, he took that superbly. Their free-kick was an absolute gift mind, the wall has completely failed to do their job. 1-1 would've been a fair result yesterday. Alas, it is football...

February is going to be huge in deciding our chances of staying up. 6+ points adrift going into March and our chances of survival will be slim given the difficulty of a the games we'll have left to play.
1985CTFC
CTFC.Harry wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 18:09 They've had three chances yesterday and scored two of them. We had five and scored one of them. Football is a cruel game but the Forwards weren't clinical. The things I'd do for a Number 9 like Collins, he took that superbly. Their free-kick was an absolute gift mind, the wall has completely failed to do their job. 1-1 would've been a fair result yesterday. Alas, it is football...

February is going to be huge in deciding our chances of staying up. 6+ points adrift going into March and our chances of survival will be slim given the difficulty of a the games we'll have left to play.
One moment of quality from Collins and 3points for them. Up to then he did nothing. Guess that's why they get the big bucks. Trouble is we will never be able to hang on to a goal scorer for very long.
If Lloydy keeps progressing I can see him attracting interest as well. We need to up our scouting for the future.
Horteng
1985CTFC wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 21:10
CTFC.Harry wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 18:09 They've had three chances yesterday and scored two of them. We had five and scored one of them. Football is a cruel game but the Forwards weren't clinical. The things I'd do for a Number 9 like Collins, he took that superbly. Their free-kick was an absolute gift mind, the wall has completely failed to do their job. 1-1 would've been a fair result yesterday. Alas, it is football...

One moment of quality from Collins and 3points for them. Up to then he did nothing. Guess that's why they get the big bucks. Trouble is we will never be able to hang on to a goal scorer for very long.
If Lloydy keeps progressing I can see him attracting interest as well. We need to up our scouting for the future.
How many goals has he scored this season?
CS85
Just the two isn't it?

I'm Lloyds biggest critic but his all round game has improved a hell of alot in my eyes,he's out of contract un the summer,we should be offering him a new deal ASAP.

Hes proved me wrong,admittedly goals need to come but if they did he'd be gone pretty sharpish.
Jerry St Clair
1985CTFC wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 21:10 One moment of quality from Collins and 3points for them. Up to then he did nothing. Guess that's why they get the big bucks. Trouble is we will never be able to hang on to a goal scorer for very long.
Sercs had an uncannily similar chance to the one Collins scored. The difference was that Vickers made a superb save.

I’d argue the difference on Saturday was the two keepers. Southwood was poor all round.
RS1978
CS85 wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 09:33 Just the two isn't it?

I'm Lloyds biggest critic but his all round game has improved a hell of alot in my eyes,he's out of contract un the summer,we should be offering him a new deal ASAP.

Hes proved me wrong,admittedly goals need to come but if they did he'd be gone pretty sharpish.
Tbh all of the front players (Keena/Lloyd/NBO/ Street after his injury) could do with a goal or two🤔

Maybe Southwood needs some decent competition? Not sure if Pardington can make the step up (we haven't tried) but Southwood is a shoe-in so we have to put up with his off days🤔
plymrob
From behind the goal, the late Sercombe shot was an easy save. Good effort though.
plymrob
And Southwood's fine. His time wasting tactics have moved on a pace (more creative with a bit of irony called for), BUT the opposition fans know what's happening. Think on though. He's a solid No.1 and a team player. And I like him.
shevates
Horteng wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 07:36
1985CTFC wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 21:10

How many goals has he scored this season?
How many goals has he scored for us full stop, a total of 8 from 95 games. I've always been critical of him as a striker not good enough, but you can't fault his commitment he gives his all for the club. If he's offered a new contract I hope it will be as an attacking right sided midfielder and not as a striker
Jerry St Clair
plymrob wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 17:27 And Southwood's fine. His time wasting tactics have moved on a pace (more creative with a bit of irony called for), BUT the opposition fans know what's happening. Think on though. He's a solid No.1 and a team player. And I like him.
Oh, ditto. Don't get me wrong, I like Southwood and think he's an excellent keeper. He just had a bit of a poor one on Saturday, without dropping any real clangers. I take PlymRob's point about the Sercs shot maybe being easier. I do wonder if the Derby keeper would have got a hand to the Collins shot. Fine margins.
plymrob
Derby fans have mixed views about their current keeper. For a few games previous (not just Chelt) it was Wildsmith. But, it was a saveable shot - as seen from behind the goal. From what I have gleaned (and experienced) Derby fans expect much more than they offered on Saturday. Oh to be at that end of the table!
Newbie 2024
Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 21:30 Not long back today, we played well and should have had at least a point. Has anyone seen the replay of the 'foul' on Lloyd which looked a cast iron penalty? Ultimately Derby had two chances and scored both, we had four or five and scored only one.

Special recognition for Lloyd, Pett, Ferry, Davies and Sercs who were outstanding and really should have been on the winning side. Sadly the forward subs weakened us considerably Keena offs so little it's depressing and NBO continues to impersonate a headless chicken to great effect.
Has a relative of NBO I find your comment disrespectful, your entitled to your opinion, but playing limited minutes in a VERY VERY poor team, that has no game plan will effect your performance, confidence
Robin
Newbie 2024 wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 11:26
Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 21:30 Not long back today, we played well and should have had at least a point. Has anyone seen the replay of the 'foul' on Lloyd which looked a cast iron penalty? Ultimately Derby had two chances and scored both, we had four or five and scored only one.

Special recognition for Lloyd, Pett, Ferry, Davies and Sercs who were outstanding and really should have been on the winning side. Sadly the forward subs weakened us considerably Keena offs so little it's depressing and NBO continues to impersonate a headless chicken to great effect.
Has a relative of NBO I find your comment disrespectful, your entitled to your opinion, but playing limited minutes in a VERY VERY poor team, that has no game plan will effect your performance, confidence
That would certainly be true for the first few games of the season but since we appointed Darrell Clarke there has been a clear game plan and our form has been that of a top half league one side. Through all that spell NBO has put in loads of effort but it's had no impact at all which suggests he is simply not a league one standard player. The fact he hasn't been able to make a single start with both our managers also speaks volumes.

I habour no ill will against him, a spell lower down the pyramid and he can probably make a career but let's not pretend the issue was our team and not him.
asl
Newbie 2024 wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 11:26 Has a relative of NBO I find your comment disrespectful, your entitled to your opinion, but playing limited minutes in a VERY VERY poor team, that has no game plan will effect your performance, confidence
Sorry, Newbie, but Robin and the rest of us - and you - are all entitled to have an opinion on the team they support. Robin stating his opinion is not meant to be 'disrespectful'. If I put my boots on and played a game for Cheltenham, I thoroughly expect everyone to say I'm f'kin rubbish and not fit to wear the shirt - that's not disrespectful, it's stating an opinion which my mum would probably disagree with (she'd be the only one who did...)

The manager picked the team based on his plan and what he saw from the players during training. The majority on this board have only had the luxury of seeing NBO's late sub appearances so have to assume that the manager didn't see enough in him to start ahead of our other misfiring strikers. Was our coaching team being similarly disrespectful by not deeming him to be good enough to play the way they wanted?
Si Robin
A forward with more red cards than goals in the Football League.

Suggests he's not good enough to me.
Newbie 2024
You are all entitled to your opinions, Your missing my point, the term used is disrespectful, i don’t think he’s a good player fine no problem I’ll accept that, has for the former coaching team I doubt they would know how to be disrespectful or try different systems but they certainly wouldn’t use that phase, NBO has one red card in 13 games similar to a number of players within the starting X1.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 11:50
Newbie 2024 wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 11:26 Has a relative of NBO I find your comment disrespectful, your entitled to your opinion, but playing limited minutes in a VERY VERY poor team, that has no game plan will effect your performance, confidence
Sorry, Newbie, but Robin and the rest of us - and you - are all entitled to have an opinion on the team they support. Robin stating his opinion is not meant to be 'disrespectful'. If I put my boots on and played a game for Cheltenham, I thoroughly expect everyone to say I'm f'kin rubbish and not fit to wear the shirt - that's not disrespectful, it's stating an opinion which my mum would probably disagree with (she'd be the only one who did...)

The manager picked the team based on his plan and what he saw from the players during training. The majority on this board have only had the luxury of seeing NBO's late sub appearances so have to assume that the manager didn't see enough in him to start ahead of our other misfiring strikers. Was our coaching team being similarly disrespectful by not deeming him to be good enough to play the way they wanted?
now now, you wouldn't need to turn out for CTFC for us to say that ;) (joke)
Newbie 2024
Si Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 12:03 A forward with more red cards than goals in the Football League.

Condolences regarding your relegation, in DC you trust, #HEADLESSPIGEONS
Garby74
Real classy Newbie
Garby74
C
U
NEXT
Tuesday or next season problably
Shade
Jesus, what a saddo :lol: been waiting for this for the best part of 3 months.
Broadway Brian
Newbie 2024 wrote:
Si Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 12:03 A forward with more red cards than goals in the Football League.

Condolences regarding your relegation, in DC you trust, #HEADLESSPIGEONS
I see your boy has conquered the world since leaving here. We were all wrong.