Poll: Deadline signings

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

How many signings will we get in before the deadline?

No votes
No votes
25%
17%
1, but he'll be a panic signing
No votes
2, but at least 1 will be a panic
33%
3, but at least one will be a panic
25%

Total votes: 12
Shade
How much faith have we got? Deadline is 11pm on 1st Feb, 26 hours from when this is being posted.
Artemis
What counts as a panic signing and how will we be able to tell that he is?
HamTown
Shade wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 20:46 How much faith have we got? Deadline is 11pm on 1st Feb, 26 hours from when this is being posted.
I thought it was tonight! That's a relief.

2 easy then
Ihearye
Artemis wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 20:52 What counts as a panic signing and how will we be able to tell that he is?
What's the difference between panic and hobsons choice?
As an example, if we signed a player who can't get a regular 45 mins for the worst team in the elf, tomorrow. Is that panic or hobsons choice?
Artemis
I don't know what the definition of a panic signing is so I can't answer that one. maybe you can enlighten us confused?

Anyway its nice to see you've got confidence in DC to get the best signings he can get
Shade
Whatever your definition of a panic signing is, is what a panic signing is :lol: usually, it would mean a body brought in late on because we can't get anyone else but need someone; probably not good enough to be a first team starter.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:19 Whatever your definition of a panic signing is, is what a panic signing is :lol: usually, it would mean a body brought in late on because we can't get anyone else but need someone; probably not good enough to be a first team starter.
Aka the best we are willing and able to sign.

What’s worse… going with what we’ve got or panic signing?
Shade
Aka more of a gamble than someone higher on the list.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:56 I don't know what the definition of a panic signing is so I can't answer that one. maybe you can enlighten us confused?

Anyway its nice to see you've got confidence in DC to get the best signings he can get
gratifying to see we can have a mature conversation about things.

Since you asked - my view of panic is signing a player in last couple of days that you didn't have on your initial list of targets. One's that don't meet the remit that you paid out for yourself e.g. experienced, improve the team etc. But you recognise you need someone so you take what you see as the best available from whoever is available that wants to come.

Hobson's choice I would define as a player who was on your list, but well down it, but is willing to come. You sign him because he is the best of what is remaining on your list. Be that last or second from last or whatever. WE know from DC that he has missed some of his initial targets, so we can be pretty confident he is working his way down his list.

So yes, he is getting the best signings he can get. The debate is that by signing player E he is not going to offer to us as a squad as signing player A. I find it hard to believe that in December or even as late as when Goodwin was sold, there would be much positivism on here, around signing Taylor from FGR, given his current form, age etc etc. But now it would appear some are looking forward to it happening and see it as a decent transfer. Whether it is a panic or Hobson, who knows. All we can hope for is that it and the others work out.
Robin
Regarding panic signing see our summer transfer window and almost everyone signed in August, we took anything we could get at the time in the hope that some worked out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 08:17 Regarding panic signing see our summer transfer window and almost everyone signed in August, we took anything we could get at the time in the hope that some worked out.
Would not signing anyone have been better?
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 12:02
Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 08:17 Regarding panic signing see our summer transfer window and almost everyone signed in August, we took anything we could get at the time in the hope that some worked out.
I don't think anybody is debating that. A panic signing can be a panic but still needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 12:20
I don't think anybody is debating that. A panic signing can be a panic but still needed.
Ok. Just that people seem to use ‘panic signing’ as a thing to bash the club or manager for in a negative way.

If it is just a signing that is needed and the best option we can get, then I’m not sure why it is viewed so negatively.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 12:47

Ok. Just that people seem to use ‘panic signing’ as a thing to bash the club or manager for in a negative way.

If it is just a signing that is needed and the best option we can get, then I’m not sure why it is viewed so negatively.
I assume because we end up with players like Peupion that barely make an appearance.
Robin
What happened in August were clearly panic buys. Micky Moore would identify targets well in advance and work on lining them up to sign for the club, read the Rob Street interview, where he says we were speaking to him months before he signed. Last summer when Moore and Ware left we didn't have any targets lined up so had to start fresh and then took what was available likely without scouting them.
Ihearye

Don't think giving opinion or feedback is knocking as long as some rationale in he feedback.
Panic, is in the end a personal appraisal is it not. If you sign someone out of the blue, but has good experience and an engine to play our pressing game, then you would think yeah I can see why. If you don't think they have those credentials, then you may think or wonder why.
I am sure in all our day to day lives at work we think what we have produced is spot on, but then others ha e a different opinion???
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 13:19

Don't think giving opinion or feedback is knocking as long as some rationale in he feedback.
Panic, is in the end a personal appraisal is it not. If you sign someone out of the blue, but has good experience and an engine to play our pressing game, then you would think yeah I can see why. If you don't think they have those credentials, then you may think or wonder why.
I am sure in all our day to day lives at work we think what we have produced is spot on, but then others ha e a different opinion???
I guess I don’t believe the club staff ever sign someone who they don’t think we need, even if it is a panic buy.

Sure, a player may have never been a target and not considered until the last minute. And sure, it might mean players like Peupion who barely play.

If all our preferred options to fulfil DC’s needs fall though and it ends up at 11:45pm with a choice between a panic signing or no signing then I back DC to make the right call.
asl
Peupion was highly-rated by Brighton fans who initially presumed he would walk into our team and they were quite excited to see how he developed.