Deadline day departure

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
QED
Wow, that’s come out of nowhere. Assume he can’t be guaranteed to start and is on money that’s too good to be sat on the bench, but still, that’s some quality gone from the squad
PCrobin
Never seemed fit enough to get a proper run of starts, but his experience and battling qualities will be a loss..
Robin
Do we need another defensive midfielder now or a reflection that Pett and Bonds are first choice and we are happy Kinsella can cover there.
Playmeuptop
Probably chosen to move on for more regular starts, good luck to him.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 09:26 Do we need another defensive midfielder now or a reflection that Pett and Bonds are first choice and we are happy Kinsella can cover there.
I think we're fine in midfield - 5 should be enough really.

I suspect Curtis was one of the higher earners, so it frees up some wages.

I wish him well - you can't knock the bloke's tenacity.
Jim
Shame, but it makes sense as we had 6 players who probably all expect to start in midfield vying for 3 positions. It's great to have cover for every position, but no point in having a high-earner who was unlikely to be the first choice.
paperboy
Slightly disappointed, but as has been said a tad fragile ATM.
Offered a contract for next season too at Grimsby so let's hope we're not playing against him next season and that Kinsella is a superior replacement or questions will be asked.
Shade
Another one JP did an in depth interview with who is out the door soon after :lol:
Si Robin
Lock Rob Street up and throw away the key!!
Shade
Si Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 10:12 Lock Rob Street up and throw away the key!!
Well, he's apparently crocked for some time so it's effectively done him too. It's a curse!
horlickfanclub
Great move for him. Nearer home and a longer deal. It must have been on the cards which is why we signed Kinsella. One of the m/f would have been in the stand so sensible all round. I liked Curtis ,hopefully Kinsella will be as good.
Jerry St Clair
He peaked in the Wigan game when he was an absolute titan. I'll remember that for a long time. I like him and his attitude and wish him really well.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 11:13 Great move for him. Nearer home and a longer deal. It must have been on the cards which is why we signed Kinsella. One of the m/f would have been in the stand so sensible all round. I liked Curtis ,hopefully Kinsella will be as good.
Not sure if you did geography in school Horlick but Grimsby to Nottingham is about the same distance as Cheltenham to Nottingham. Both around 100 miles. I suspect this has come up as Grimsby sold their defensive midfielder to Bristol Rovers last week and Curtis has been offered regular first team footbal which he was unlikely to get here.
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 11:13 Great move for him. Nearer home and a longer deal. It must have been on the cards which is why we signed Kinsella. One of the m/f would have been in the stand so sensible all round. I liked Curtis ,hopefully Kinsella will be as good.
Not sure if you did geography in school Horlick but Grimsby to Nottingham is about the same distance as Cheltenham to Nottingham. Both around 100 miles. I suspect this has come up as Grimsby sold their defensive midfielder to Bristol Rovers last week and Curtis has been offered regular first team footbal which he was unlikely to get here.
Actually currently Grimsby to Nottingham is 25 minutes quicker than Cheltenham To Nottingham. Figures have never been your strong point have they?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 10:12 Another one JP did an in depth interview with who is out the door soon after :lol:
Still waiting for Michael Boulding’s answers to my Q&A submission.
RS1978
QED wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 09:01 Wow, that’s come out of nowhere. Assume he can’t be guaranteed to start and is on money that’s too good to be sat on the bench, but still, that’s some quality gone from the squad
Tbh he could have done a Bogarde and taken the money we were offering, but good on him that he's gone for more game time.

JP says three more - two strikers and a left winger. Matt Taylor (if FGR aren't being childish🙄) Charlie Kirk has been mentioned on here, and what about Donovan Wilson? We've just done business with Grimsby, he's played for DC in the past and he isn't getting many games there currently?🤔
art vandalay
A fully committed player, Thompson was outstanding against Wigan in November but I don‘t think he‘s offered loads since then and I always felt that his game time was being managed to restrict injuries.
Jerry St Clair
ctfc-fan wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 11:48
Robin wrote:
Actually currently Grimsby to Nottingham is 25 minutes quicker than Cheltenham To Nottingham. Figures have never been your strong point have they?
You're all wrong because Grimsby, famously, don't play in Grimsby.

They play in Cleethorpes.

:D
Robin
ctfc-fan wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 11:48
Robin wrote:
Nottingham to Cleethorpes 98 miles, Nottingham to Cheltenham 102 miles :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry St Clair
Interview with Curtis on the Grimsby website.

First he heard about it was Monday, was busy prepping for Cheltenham game then the move to Grimsby happened really quickly.

Sounds like Darrell moved him on......
QED
Needed the money for that extra year of Taylor’s contract
Garby74
Shame I liked Curtis.
Maybe deemed too risky ..injury wise.
horlickfanclub
I liked Smith. Filled in well in the middle in games where we were good and decent at RWB. Two good reliable pros lost,the types I thought the Manager wanted in the fight to stay up. Maybe Horton will step up.
Ihearye
also sorry to see him go. Stepped up and filled any gaps when asked and did it well. You have to wonder what he did wrong to end up in Grimsby.
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 11:30 also sorry to see him go. Stepped up and filled any gaps when asked and did it well. You have to wonder what he did wrong to end up in Grimsby.
Yes never let us down. Only issue was the injuries but that aside played well to cover the RCB position when needed. Read the game quite well.
At least Grimsby is nearer Scotland for him.
horlickfanclub
1985CTFC wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 12:16
Ihearye wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 11:30 also sorry to see him go. Stepped up and filled any gaps when asked and did it well. You have to wonder what he did wrong to end up in Grimsby.
Yes never let us down. Only issue was the injuries but that aside played well to cover the RCB position when needed. Read the game quite well.
At least Grimsby is nearer Scotland for him.
I wonder if he will take the high or low road.