Loan striker

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
I-Love-CTFC
Massively underwhelmed to say the least.
Ihearye
oh well, we still have 400k in the bank I suppose
And a 2.5 year contract for a 34 year old striker. surprised
Horteng
:shock:
cliffy90
Shocking that the club have left it so late. Hope the incomings prove me wrong, but it just seems like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Massively dissappointed.
CS85
This is pathetic :lol: £650,000 in sales.in last 7/8 months,a small cash injection for January and we sign a player on loan 2 divisions below.
This is desperate stuff it really is.
Lord Elpuz
Let’s give the lad a chance - Darrell will get the best out of him. This scouting report shows he’s a capable striker:

https://youtu.be/5riMjivqCtg?si=duv-6aa96uoocTxw
I-Love-CTFC
Lord Elpuz wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:48 Let’s give the lad a chance - Darrell will get the best out of him. This scouting report shows he’s a capable striker:

The guy hasn't played a minute since the 4th November. Oldham fans can't believe they've found a club to take him off their hands, let alone a League One club. Seriously what does Russell Milton actually do? It seems like the club have settled we'll be playing in League Two next season.
Artemis
CS85 wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:48 This is pathetic :lol: £650,000 in sales.in last 7/8 months,a small cash injection for January and we sign a player on loan 2 divisions below.
That £650k supports the playing budget. On gates of 4500 we ain't anywhere near financially competitive in L1 otherwise and I'd wager barely in L2 either where gates are lower.
Ihearye
Lord Elpuz wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:48 Let’s give the lad a chance - Darrell will get the best out of him. This scouting report shows he’s a capable striker:

most of them look like between 7 and 10 years ago. Question would have to be asked if he is a capable striker, why is he playing at Oldham and why are they loaning him out.
But, I cede to those with greater football knowledge
paperboy
This is akin to Blackburn Rovers signing Aiden Keena.
Even better news to come with Mattie Taylor to come in on a 2 and a half year deal.
We did get two good seasons out of Reg Varney though I suppose.
Malabus

Yep, still not that convinced.
Ihearye
paperboy wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:59 This is akin to Blackburn Rovers signing Aiden Keena.
Even better news to come with Mattie Taylor to come in on a 2 and a half year deal.
And 3 great years out of Jason White, so who knows!
Artemis
I-Love-CTFC wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:53

The guy hasn't played a minute since the 4th November. Oldham fans can't believe they've found a club to take him off their hands, let alone a League One club. Seriously what does Russell Milton actually do? It seems like the club have settled we'll be playing in League Two next season.
We probably will be relegated anyway and if DC hadn't come in to change the squad around we'd be nearly there by now.

He's swapped six or seven out of their depth loanees for 3 to 4 players with L1 or above experience, as he said he would, and a couple of youngsters on second loans.

Yeah, its disappointing we haven't signed Messi but he wasn't keen on the move.

Give the newcomers a chance.
CTFCfan99
Happy to give him a chance but this is really concerning. And a 2.5 year deal for Matty Taylor seems excessive at his age.
Shade
And Tom Pett didn't even have a club. That's my argument. I'll wait til I see how they play with and in our team under DC before judging.
CS85
Artemis wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:55
CS85 wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:48 This is pathetic :lol: £650,000 in sales.in last 7/8 months,a small cash injection for January and we sign a player on loan 2 divisions below.
That £650k supports the playing budget. On gates of 4500 we ain't anywhere near financially competitive in L1 otherwise and I'd wager barely in L2 either where gates are lower.
I fully understand that,I honestly do.....
But we've just signed a player who's been on the decline for years from a league 2 levels below.
I hope the guy comes and smashes it but bloody hell this is very poor from us.
I never have massive expectations for us in any window but this really has me deflated.
I'll be in the stands backing them all no matter what,hopefully the lad makes me look a plonker and bangs em in.
Malabus
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:01
paperboy wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:59 This is akin to Blackburn Rovers signing Aiden Keena.
And 3 great years out of Jason White, so who knows!

Surely we didn't have Jason White for three years.
Malabus
So Joe Nuttall is a loan deal. Does that mean he can't get in the Oldham first 18.
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:58 most of them look like between 7 and 10 years ago. Question would have to be asked if he is a capable striker, why is he playing at Oldham and why are they loaning him out.
Have to bear in mind we mostly look to sign players with a point to prove after being let go from other clubs. We don’t have the finances to compete with other clubs in the market for strikers, especially proven strikers at League 1 level or above. Darrell Clarke would have seen the reports on Nuttall and clearly believes he can do a job for us. Nuttall has more experience than Goodwin, and Goodwin came good for our manager.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:02

We probably will be relegated anyway and if DC hadn't come in to change the squad around we'd be nearly there by now.

He's swapped six or seven out of their depth loanees for 3 to 4 players with L1 or above experience, as he said he would, and a couple of youngsters on second loans.

That would almost (at a stretch) make sense if most of the ones coming in are not on end of season contracts. So if and prob now when we go down, we have yet another summer of rebuilding.
Are you actually serious in your belief that joe (and we will all give him a chance, because we all want and need him to succeed), falls in to the remit you describe above? If we were only looking for players who have played in L1 and signing one would have kept you happy, I am sure there are a bucket load of ageing footballers knocking about somewhere who would jump at the chance of someone taking them on again.
Sorry, I am pessimistic when I have no right to be.
Last edited by Ihearye on 01 Feb 2024, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Broadway Brian
Anyone got a credible idea of the type of player he is?
Ihearye
Lord Elpuz wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:11
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 19:58 most of them look like between 7 and 10 years ago. Question would have to be asked if he is a capable striker, why is he playing at Oldham and why are they loaning him out.
Have to bear in mind we mostly look to sign players with a point to prove after being let go from other clubs. We don’t have the finances to compete with other clubs in the market for strikers, especially proven strikers at League 1 level or above. Darrell Clarke would have seen the reports on Nuttall and clearly believes he can do a job for us. Nuttall has more experience than Goodwin, and Goodwin came good for our manager.
I hear all the money arguments, not that we have spent any. The pragmatist in me is wondering what Oldham were waiting for, who were they waiting to bring in to National League, that had us waiting until this time on Feb 1st , that they felt that they could now put him out on Loan. Also, who else were we competing against - that one we will never know.
art vandalay
So one guy has helped FGR to the bottom of the Football League and the other helped Scunthorpe out of it. I know I haven’t seen them play, and I genuinely hope they do well, but by selling Goodwin imo we‘ve created a problem up front where one previously didn‘t exist.
1985CTFC
Broadway Brian wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:15 Anyone got a credible idea of the type of player he is?
Takes a good penalty!!!
CTFCfan99
Shambles so far. Lloyd, Taylor, Keena and Nuttal do not fill me with confidence that they can score enough to keep us up. Hope I'm proved wrong.
Malabus
Guess he could be a hold up striker. We do need one of those.
Ihearye
1985CTFC wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:28
Broadway Brian wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:15 Anyone got a credible idea of the type of player he is?
Takes a good penalty!!!
we seldom get those :lol:
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:36
1985CTFC wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:28
Takes a good penalty!!!
we seldom get those :lol:
I've told LLoydy to dive more!!

Stats -Joseph Andre Nuttall has taken 12 penalty kicks so far in his career. Of these, Nuttall scored 12 pens while missing 0. The overall penalty conversion rate for Nuttall is 100%.
Headlines in Glos Echo--Nuttall hits the winning penalty to keep us up, written in the stars!!!!
Last edited by 1985CTFC on 01 Feb 2024, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
art vandalay wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:27 So one guy has helped FGR to the bottom of the Football League and the other helped Scunthorpe out of it. I know I haven’t seen them play, and I genuinely hope they do well, but by selling Goodwin imo we‘ve created a problem up front where one previously didn‘t exist.
not totally to blame on the FGR one as he only started in 6 matches
QED
Malabus wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:35 Guess he could be a hold up striker. We do need one of those.
Even better if he holds up a bank so we can buy someone better with the proceeds
Artemis
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:12

That would almost (at a stretch) make sense if most of the ones coming in are not on end of season contracts. So if and prob now when we go down, we have yet another summer of rebuilding.
Are you actually serious in your belief that joe (and we will all give him a chance, because we all want and need him to succeed), falls in to the remit you describe above? If we were only looking for players who have played in L1 and signing one would have kept you happy, I am sure there are a bucket load of ageing footballers knocking about somewhere who would jump at the chance of someone taking them on again.
Nuttall has played in both L1 and the champ, so yes, he fits the remit that DC said he was looking for. I'm sure there are plenty of others who also would. They didn't seem to want to come to us.
We always have a summer of rebuilding simply because around 5 of our squad each year are loans and others want to keep their options open with one year contracts. That's the way we have to operate if we want to be in L1.

However, I am very surprised by Matty Taylor's 30 month deal.......but at least the ageing and most experienced forward in the squad won't need replacing come July ...
art vandalay
Artemis wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:46
Ihearye wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 20:12

Nuttall has played in both L1 and the champ, so yes, he fits the remit that DC said he was looking for. I'm sure there are plenty of others who also would. They didn't seem to want to come to us.
We always have a summer of rebuilding simply because around 5 of our squad each year are loans and others want to keep their options open with one year contracts. That's the way we have to operate if we want to be in L1.

However, I am very surprised by Matty Taylor's 30 month deal.......but at least the ageing and most experienced forward in the squad won't need replacing come July ...
But some parts of his body might.
1985CTFC
Must have banked a fair bit of cash. Large number of players off the books Curtis/Adshead high earners plus the rest and 400k from Goodwin. Must have a final star signing in the pipeline at 10.59 tonight!
Garby74
DC hasn't put a foot wrong since he came in.
We were dead and buried.
Look how he has turned the team around.

Lot of trust in DC.

Give them a chance.

His first window.