The Famous Five

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
According to the Enid Blyton book of football striker stats Enid informs me that our famous five in their respective leagues this season have Started a total of 59 league games and have mustered the total of 7 league goals between them, not the best read when we're sat in the bottom 4

To think Sercs our midfielder has scored 7 on his own in 25 league Starts. Matty Taylor at 33 has started a total of 5 games this season for FGR, and we've given him a 30 month deal BONKERS.

FGR must be chuffed to bits to get him off the pay roll, and then sign Christian Doidge from Hibs, that's a signing that they still believe they can stay up, ours don't give me that believe.

I really believed we could avoid the drop under DC, and especially with what we've received from the sale of May and Goodwin he would of been given some of that money to spend on Strikers for our survival. I'm honestly finding it difficult to believe DC wanted Taylor and Nuttel here to replace Goodwin.

I hope it works out I really do, but I can't believe there's a Cheltenham supporter out there who is impressed with our striker signings for our relegation battle
Si Robin
I have no doubt in believing that DC was the main catalyst for the Taylor signing.

I know some people really don't want to criticise him, but this signing is 100% down to him.
shevates
Si Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 07:47 I have no doubt in believing that DC was the main catalyst for the Taylor signing.

I know some people really don't want to criticise him, but this signing is 100% down to him.
To be honest Si I havnt a clue how football operates nowadays in dealings of signings. Just find it a strange signing. He wasn't in FGR plans so id of thought an end of season loan would of been a better option, but a 30month contract is ridiculous for a player of his age
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 07:47 I have no doubt in believing that DC was the main catalyst for the Taylor signing.

I have no doubt DC wanted Taylor, BUT I personally feel he wanted that experience alongside Goodwin and not instead of Goodwin. I think that transfer pulled the proverbial rug out.

Street’s injury couldn’t be legislated for and forced us to make another signing. The dreaded panic buy.

DC could have been planning to end this window with a famous five of Goodwin, Street, Lloyd, Taylor and Keena.

Instead we go into the last 19 games with Lloyd, Taylor, Keena, Nuttall and King.
asl
Even Hail Mary's come off, some times...
Broadway Brian
No-one knows the details. 2.5 years seems mad but what are the conditions? Assuming/ hoping for conditions linked to staying up / going down.

We’ve seen the challenge of renewing Sercombe only on 12 month deals every summer, maybe we’re trying to avoid that.

I’m not bouncing about but we are in the bottom 4, we have dominated the last 2 games in part but only have 1 scruffy goal from a player who is still here to show for it. We’ve created chances and missed them in many games so let’s see if these boys can up our conversion stats. Or provide better links to what we have already.

Thomas sounds exciting.
Ihearye
Ah well, they are our famous 5 now, for better or worse. As a wise man once said, the die is cast. Buckle up
Fuller
Ihearye wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 08:19 Ah well, they are our famous 5 now, for better or worse. As a wise man once said, the die is cast. Buckle up
Don't mention the name "Buckle" on here please.
That was another era that didn't end well.
Robin
I held my tongue/fingers last night but it reaks of poor transfer strategy and last minute panic signings. Taylor could be a good signing, especially if it was a bench option for the remainder of the season. He can score goals at this level and is a finisher something we don't have with Keena so off form but the length of contract is really baffling, did we also pay a fee for him in the end or not?

Thomas looks like a project player maybe not for this season (other than an option from the bench) a big step up for him but worth a gamble so long as the fee was reasonable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 09:37 I held my tongue/fingers last night but it reaks of poor transfer strategy and last minute panic signings. Taylor could be a good signing, especially if it was a bench option for the remainder of the season. He can score goals at this level and is a finisher something we don't have with Keena so off form but the length of contract is really baffling, did we also pay a fee for him in the end or not?

Thomas looks like a project player maybe not for this season (other than an option from the bench) a big step up for him but worth a gamble so long as the fee was reasonable.
I’ve convinced myself that losing Goodwin and Street scuppered DC’s strategy. I don’t think we sign Nuttall had we not lost Street to injury, and I think Taylor was only ever meant to be part of the rotation to support and feed off Goodwin, not our main striker.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 09:37 I held my tongue/fingers last night but it reaks of poor transfer strategy and last minute panic signings. Taylor could be a good signing, especially if it was a bench option for the remainder of the season. He can score goals at this level and is a finisher something we don't have with Keena so off form but the length of contract is really baffling, did we also pay a fee for him in the end or not?

There was no fee for Taylor.

The Taylor signing looks good until you see the length of the deal. It's baffling, it really is.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 09:43

The Taylor signing looks good until you see the length of the deal. It's baffling, it really is.
Personally I am only interested in the next 3 months with regard to Taylor. Hope he scores the goals to keep us up. After that things will take care of themselves either way. Lets just get behind the new players and stay up.
paperboy

As has been said elsewhere maybe it was the only way to get the deal done given he would have been on bigger wages up the hill.
Or it's a shrewd strategy, because if we hurtle down through League 2 next season we'll have a proven goal scorer on the books in the National League for 25/26. 😉

Just think that on 1st July we had Alfie May, Goodwin,Street,Keena and Lloyd as our strike force.
Oh well.
Jerry St Clair

Maybe it's a trade off. Longer deal, lower wages. And we seem to the increasingly taking the approach of offering longer deals to attract players we couldn't otherwise afford.

And, maybe it's a bit of a loss leader in the playing sense as well. Say MT scores 10 goals and keeps us up. He may decline next season and we may not expect him to be first choice forward come 24/25 season, but he's an experienced player in the squad who might still score the odd goal, but who can also help develop Lloyd, Street and Keena. That would be worth a 2.5 year deal.
Si Robin
That's a fair shout.

I look back to the last time we signed a 33 year old forward and if we get half the purchase of him then I'll be happy.

Neil Grayson by the way.
horlickfanclub
Jerry has it spot on. Good negotiating. I look forward to seeing our new players.