Name the team and tactics v the chair boys

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
So anyone want to name the starting 11 and the finishing 11

I assume it will be the starting twam with someone for Freestone and Keena ...but will Taylor start with Lloyd

As to the finishing 11 is anyones guess
Like a preseason friendly
I cannot workout who is in and out so it could be anyone
Are we going to see 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or 3-3-2-2 or some other formation or even all of them
CS85
3-5-2

Assuming bradbury is injured.... * just seen he's ruled out for 3-4 weeks*

Southwood

Shepherd
Davies
Smith

Ferry
Pett
Bonds
Sercombe
Long

Lloyd
Taylor

Back three a massive concern,especially the lad from barnsley, watched him (admittedly only one game) and he was very shakey.

I dont know how tall taylor is but from memory he's not over 6ft,long balls may not be ideal.
horlickfanclub
Keena should start with Lloyd. He may play Williams and put Shepherd on the bench.
RS1978
Tbh as there are 7 games this month DC has to integrate the new signings and get them firing pretty sharpish.

If we have a stinker this month then that might be it for L1 football next season. DC wanted Matt Taylor so now he's here so let's get behind him.

I can see starting vs. Wycombe with Lloyd/Nuttall up front and then Taylor/Keena/Harrop/Thomas making cameos in the second half.

Although all the grumbling about a bad transfer window will quieten somewhat if Taylor/Nuttall/Keena start scoring😁

Pretty sure CS85 is quite close with the team - will Harrop ever get a starting place over Sercombe/Bonds/Pett?
Artemis
RS1978 wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 13:32 Tbh as there are 7 games this month DC has to integrate the new signings and get them firing pretty sharpish.

If we have a stinker this month then that might be it for L1 football next season. DC wanted Matt Taylor so now he's here so let's get behind him.

I can see starting vs. Wycombe with Lloyd/Nuttall up front and then Taylor/Keena/Harrop/Thomas making cameos in the second half.

Although all the grumbling about a bad transfer window will quieten somewhat if Taylor/Nuttall/Keena start scoring😁

Pretty sure CS85 is quite close with the team - will Harrop ever get a starting place over Sercombe/Bonds/Pett?
Irrespective of who plays and our various views on the transfer window all we want is a winning team.
Broadway Brian
And we need to do our part. Let’s not forget.

As fans, what has our window been like. Have we bought lozenges, have we cleared our throats, have we signed a 19-game deal of incessant vocal backing with add-ons of wild celebration and hostile barracking for the oppo?

Let’s see if we bring our A game tomorrow or whether we’ll be the worst atmosphere Oldham have ever seen.

UTMFR
Ihearye
Broadway Brian wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 18:01 And we need to do our part. Let’s not forget.

As fans, what has our window been like. Have we bought lozenges, have we cleared our throats, have we signed a 19-game deal of incessant vocal backing with add-ons of wild celebration and hostile barracking for the oppo?

Let’s see if we bring our A game tomorrow or whether we’ll be the worst atmosphere Oldham have ever seen.

UTMFR
we have no chance, if we re playing two teams in one day ;)
Broadway Brian
Only the Chairboys tomorrow chief. Let’s chop their legs off…
andgarod
let take the stuffing out of them
let's get the stadium on a rocker
sofa so good
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RS1978 wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 13:32 Tbh as there are 7 games this month DC has to integrate the new signings and get them firing pretty sharpish.

There will be games in this busy spell where those three first choice midfielders don’t have sufficient energy levels to start a game, so I do expect Harrop and Kinsella to start some.
paperboy
85 is pretty close with his selection I reckon.
He could play Ben Wiliams along Curtis if Shepherd isn't really up to speed given he only joined yesterday.

Could Harrop play up front at times as he seems pretty lively, but obviously not too much physicality.
Nutters could well start to give us that.

The main thing is the players have performed against the big teams they need to do the same tomorrow and the crowd can obviously lay their part.
Ihearye
Broadway Brian wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 18:35 Only the Chairboys tomorrow chief. Let’s chop their legs off…
No Oldham then, that's a relief ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 19:02 let take the stuffing out of them
let's get the stadium on a rocker
sofa so good
DC has cleared the decks and got rid of the lazy boys.

Get the wingbacks going forward and there’s a fighting chance we’ll be dining out on three points.
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 22:09
Broadway Brian wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 18:35 Only the Chairboys tomorrow chief. Let’s chop their legs off…
No Oldham then, that's a relief ;)
No mate, but ‘the worst Oldham has ever seen’ seems to be have been a common criticism these last 24 hours.

Fancy Nuttall for a debut goal tomorrow.

Nutt-all, you’re gonna win Nutt-all…
Jerry St Clair
A.minor point, but the squad listed on the back of the programme today will likely bear little resemblance to the players available. A collectors item, for sure.
Fuller
A couple of mentions of Williams playing left of the back three.
After his calamitous cameo appearance there against Orient, I wouldn’t bother.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 08:23 A.minor point, but the squad listed on the back of the programme today will likely bear little resemblance to the players available. A collectors item, for sure.
I remember when Luke Rooney made the squad list on the back of the programme even though he never signed.

Did the Bouldings ever feature in the programme as well?
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 03 Feb 2024, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
asl
Didn't we once do a club calendar which, by the time January came, most of the players who featured in it had left...?
horlickfanclub
Looking forward to the game and cheering whoever plays.
Garby74
To be fair we battle out our opinions on the forum...but support for the team this year has been rock solid since even in the early stages.

I'm very sad at losing Smith and Thompson.
But DC has a plan