League 1 Reffing

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
andgarod
What really pisses me off is that the linos cannot see players being held or strangled or pushe even occassionally
I think I preferred it when there was no contact
Some of the non fould would be a yellow card in rigby
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hard to make out what happened, but looks like the defender plays the ball?
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 08:30 Hard to make out what happened
Exactly...the ref sees it once, at full speed, real time, with a dozen other things going on that he has to keep an eye on, with players who will take any advantage they can by exaggeraging any contact there may be. Yet they're still 'a disgrace' and 'not fit to referee'.

I wonder how the expert at the back of the Paddock, near the middle, who spends all match, every match, abusing the officials would get on if he was in charge...?
PCrobin
I have some sympathy for the referee there. If players didn't cheat by rolling around pretending to be in agony this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Also the hysterical reaction from the staff in the "technical area" doesn't help (BTW one of the worst modern innovations, just sit on the bench and shout from there if you have to, rather than winding up the officials and opposition bench). Sadly this is typical of the way the game is these days. Cheating is so common that no one does a damn thing about it..
Jerry St Clair
asl wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 08:37
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 08:30 Hard to make out what happened
Exactly...the ref sees it once, at full speed, real time, with a dozen other things going on that he has to keep an eye on, with players who will take any advantage they can by exaggeraging any contact there may be. Yet they're still 'a disgrace' and 'not fit to referee'.

I wonder how the expert at the back of the Paddock, near the middle, who spends all match, every match, abusing the officials would get on if he was in charge...?
100% this. I had to watch that 4 times from 2 different angles to come to a conclusion.
As, I suspect, did all the armchair experts branding it a disgraceful decision.
Jerry St Clair
About 25 years ago I volunteered to step in and ref a Sunday league game when the ref hadn't turned up. It was my first time and I wasn't all that good. I definitely got some minor decisions wrong - throws the wrong way, goal kicks that should have been corners etc. But I constantly had players screaming in my face. One player in particular spent more time following me around the pitch moaning than playing football.

One incident near the end of the game, I was about 20 yards behind the play and a defender slid in to a midfielder who was breaking clear. I was running hard to keep up, it was a cold day and my eyes were blurry from tears in my eyes from the cold wind I couldn't quite see what happened, but I thought he'd won the ball. All hell broke loose. Half a dozen players ran up to me demanding a red card, the other half screaming that he won the ball and it was a fair challenge. Opinion on the touchline was equally split. Part of me thought it must have been a bad challenge to warrant such a reaction. In the melee I had no idea where the ball had gone but as I didn't think it was a foul just said play on. A minute later, the player who thought he'd been fouled picked up the ball and ran into the goal diving like a rugby try. He then charged up to me and screamed "I suppose you're going to give that you useless f&@cker".

I blew up for full time 5 mins early because I'd had enough. Yes, I wasn't all that good, I lost control of it, but It's a horrible job. The refs that come up into the league have endured that to get here. It's hardly surprising many can't be bothered.
everyman
andgarod wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 23:12 What really pisses me off is that the linos cannot see players being held or strangled or pushe even occassionally
I think I preferred it when there was no contact
Some of the non fould would be a yellow card in rigby
I lost count of how many times a Wycombe player challenged for a header by leading with his forearm into the back or head,it was usually Joe Low not at all like his father ? ;)
SHANDY VOR
No ref no game
Shade
SHANDY VOR wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:46 No ref no game
The way we've been getting it lately I'm not sure that's entirely a bad thing.

No ref no bloody 2 yard onside goals being ruled out.
Ihearye
SHANDY VOR wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:46 No ref no game
If only we could find the person who forces them yo do it. They should at least get paid for it ;)