What we can do to improve our chances

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
I've added this thread because I noticed before the game we did not spray the pitch with water to make it slick.
Wonder if it is to make the ball hold up when we hit it long.

Obviously it didn't work with regard to the result. Guess DC is trying things out.
1985CTFC
I know scores goals as well!! But how?
andgarod
stop conceding goals especially OGs
Jerry St Clair
1985CTFC wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 12:51 I've added this thread because I noticed before the game we did not spray the pitch with water to make it slick.
Wonder if it is to make the ball hold up when we hit it long.

Obviously it didn't work with regard to the result. Guess DC is trying things out.
Good spot. leaving grass longer would have the same effect.

What about dimensions of the pitch? Teams with wingers like wider pitches, we don't, but we do like diagonals?
CTFC.Harry
Score more than we concede
horlickfanclub
Water was bubbling up on the half way line by the Colin Farmer stand. No brilliant tactics but a burst pipe?
longmover
To me last Saturday was more mental, heads dropped after that calamity of their first goal and it was back to the dark days of WE. DC needs to snuff that mentality out straight away and not let it creep back in.

The new striker we got in scored in less than 15 minutes and the lad from Bath looks exciting, mentally that performance on Saturday couldn't come at a worse time.
CTFCfan99
andgarod wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 13:17 stop conceding goals especially OGs
I was thinking about this yesterday - how many OGs have we scored this season? Quick scan through our results

Bolton H (Smith?)
Reading A (Ferry)
Bristol Rovers A (cup game - can't think who)
Wigan H (Freestone)
Orient H (x2? Were both of those ogs?)
Pompey H (Bradbury)
Wycombe H (Davies)

At least 7, maybe 8 if the 2nd Orient one was an OG, and maybe more if I've forgotten any. Must be a record
RS1978
I think that the first goal is crucial in these remaining games - maybe a formation/tactics change is needed?

Booting the ball into the area with Lloyd/Keena/Taylor (all under 6 foot) having to battle against 6 foot plus defenders seems a bit foolish. It might work, but they'll have their work cut out.

As Burton have a 6ft9 striker then surely most of their attacks will be targeted at his head (similar to the way a lot of teams went long ball whenever Peter Crouch played up front) so we have to be a bit smarter than Burton tonight.

Hopefully Saturday was just a blip where all of the new signings were bedding in?🤔
andgarod
The first half team on Saturday was more akin to WE 12 games with no scoring strike force

The long balls in the air are well competed by Lloyd but he does not knock them down and ih he does there is no ctfc player within 20 yards

Our big men need to start scoring from corners
1 its a goal
2 prevents a break up field

We also need players holding the ball in the box

I am starting to sound like Halliwell
Shade
Even if Taylor can only do 45 minutes, got to start with him, imo. We HAVE to put away some of the chances we make in the opening half hour, which is generally when we have been at our best in games. We would be 10 points clear of relegation by now if we had taken even 20% of them, I reckon. Different games if we go 2 or 3 up (apart from Reading, obviously...).
1985CTFC
With regard to scoring more goals, firstly we need to take more shots. Keena and Ferry could have taken shots Saturday. Why Keena laid the ball off I guess is he is lacking confidence. Also Ferry drives towards the box at times then doesn't trust himself to strike a ball goalward.
Another thing that bugs me is our long throws. Longy and Ferry can reach the 6 yard box where usually Curtis stands there hoping to knock on. But behind him is a big centre back who invariable get their head on the ball and nothing comes of it.
Why don't we have 2 players behind Curtis to do a block on the oppos defender to stop them getting to Curtis and then Curtis can take a step forward if needed to flick/head the ball on towards goal. Bonds and one other to do the blocking. Bonds is strong and maybe lloydy there. to hold off the oppos CB. If Curtis misses they might also get a head on it.

Free kicks around the box is another bane of mine. We never get the ball up and over except for Williams the other week. Need a plan B and C. Get Bonds to just blast at the wall and see how brave they are, Peter Lorimer style. Might slip through and get deflected. We just don't try anything different. May even get a ricochet for someone else to tap in.

Ah yes I remember another, last night Brentford scored their first goal from the goal keeper. Apparently a players can't be offside from a goal kick I think they said on TV. I didn't realise that. Ivan Toney blocked off defender and let Maupay run on to it and score. Clever goal.

Hope to see us try it one day....not holding my breathe,
Shade
Players always stand "offside" from goal kicks (a rule that changed 4 or 5 years ago), then the defenders rush back when the ball is kicked. I think the defenders have got to be having a nightmare for that to work. Otherwise it would happen every week.

As for free kicks... I think that Williams free kick and Harrop's on Saturday are the only two free kicks we have had around the box in an are where a shot could realistically be taken in the 3 or 4 games between them. We should have had half a dozen but, and I'm still banging this drum until he finally gets given one, Lloyd never gets given anything, no matter how badly he's fouled. If we were able to take as many as six or seven a season more we might have a greater chance of scoring from them...
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 16:30 Players always stand "offside" from goal kicks (a rule that changed 4 or 5 years ago), then the defenders rush back when the ball is kicked. I think the defenders have got to be having a nightmare for that to work. Otherwise it would happen every week.
Never seen anyone try it! It foxed the top class Man City defence.

Did you see the first Brentford goal against Man City? The Man City CB went to head the ball but Ivan Toney challenged for the ball but went for it, but deliberately missed it. hence he stopped the Man City defender by blocking him off. Ball carried on past them towards goal but Maupay knew what was happening and got well forward of the other defenders in advance and ran on to score. Was obviously a set piece routine. Very clever football.

I am sure there could be a few variations on a theme here.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 16:30 Players always stand "offside" from goal kicks (a rule that changed 4 or 5 years ago), then the defenders rush back when the ball is kicked. I think the defenders have got to be having a nightmare for that to work. Otherwise it would happen every week.
Not being offside from a goal kick has been in the laws for as long as I can remember.

Same applies to throw-ins as well. Matty Taylor received a throw in the PRE/Tunnel corner in an "offside" position. Really quick thinking.
Shade
Yeah, I had in my head it was one of the changes that came in with kick offs not having to be touched forwards anymore but it has always been the law.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 20:23
Never seen anyone try it! It foxed the top class Man City defence.

Did you see the first Brentford goal against Man City? The Man City CB went to head the ball but Ivan Toney challenged for the ball but went for it, but deliberately missed it. hence he stopped the Man City defender by blocking him off. Ball carried on past them towards goal but Maupay knew what was happening and got well forward of the other defenders in advance and ran on to score. Was obviously a set piece routine. Very clever football.

I am sure there could be a few variations on a theme here.
Next game of ours, watch the goal kicks. Nearly always at least one opposition striker stood a few yards beyond the defensive line when it's taken if we've got a hogh-ish line. Now it's been done, I expect plenty of teams will be giving it more of a try than usual, for sure.