Game off (Burton)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Waterlogged. Work that out!

Burton are pathetic and season gets worse everyday.
Last edited by Malabus on 06 Feb 2024, 18:04, edited 2 times in total.
paperboy
How did you not predict this biblical event?😉😁

Thoughts with those travelling fans affected.
ctfc-fan
That’s nuts
Malabus
Burton potentially missing 4/5 players tonight. Got scam all over this.
Fuller
ctfc-fan wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 18:16That’s nuts
Not if the pitch is waterlogged.
This fixture is fated. Rearranged three times now.
Shade
For God's sake. At least it gives DC more time to try and gel the team but this is getting ridiculous.

Is this the third or fourth time this game has been rearranged?
Last edited by Shade on 06 Feb 2024, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Anteros
That's unbelievable. It's barely rained the past week?
Malabus
Burton watered the pitch at lunchtime. Their fans saying it’s not been that wet in Burton.
Shade
EFL need to look into this and then just give us the points ;)

More likely to just give Burton the points the way they and their officials hate us
paperboy
Burton fans surprised although it wasn't great on Saturday apparently.

https://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thr ... enham-home
Horteng
Didn't see that coming..... Very frustrating
Malabus
Time for synthetic pitches for noddy clubs like Burton and FGR.
1985CTFC
Is the delay a good or bad thing for us? Extra few days to work with the new players. Possible 2 free dates later in the season. But is a bit annoying not to have a game to watch.
Malabus
1985CTFC wrote:Is the delay a good or bad thing for us? Extra few days to work with the new players. Possible 2 free dates later in the season. But is a bit annoying not to have a game to watch.
No…game pile is always negative, especially when the pressure is on. I believe we could be 10 points from safety come 17:00 on Saturday.
Calling the Carlisle game off 30 hours before kick off is now looking rather foolish.
1985CTFC
Malabus wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 19:01
1985CTFC wrote:Is the delay a good or bad thing for us? Extra few days to work with the new players. Possible 2 free dates later in the season. But is a bit annoying not to have a game to watch.
No…game pile is always negative, especially when the pressure is on. I believe we could be 10 points from safety come 17:00 on Saturday.
Calling the Carlisle game off 30 hours before kick off is now looking rather foolish.
All will be clearer after tonights games from the rivals around us.
CTFC.Harry
Hardly rained in the area apart from a short but heavy downpour around 1430 this afternoon. Couldn’t believe it when the game was called off. Burton’s pitch does look a bit worse for wear in fairness but still frustrating
Jerry St Clair
CTFC.Harry wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 20:29 Hardly rained in the area apart from a short but heavy downpour around 1430 this afternoon. Couldn’t believe it when the game was called off. Burton’s pitch does look a bit worse for wear in fairness but still frustrating
Walsall also postponed.

And Cambridge abandoned after 30 mins. Burton far from an isolated incident.
Malabus
Jerry St Clair wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 20:30
CTFC.Harry wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 20:29 Hardly rained in the area apart from a short but heavy downpour around 1430 this afternoon. Couldn’t believe it when the game was called off. Burton’s pitch does look a bit worse for wear in fairness but still frustrating
Walsall also postponed.

And Cambridge abandoned after 30 mins. Burton far from an isolated incident.
Port Vale was on. 30 miles away.
Red Duke
1985CTFC wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 19:36
To put a positive spin on the postponement, it gives the new signings more time to settle in.
Malabus
Red Duke wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 22:55
1985CTFC wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 19:36
To put a positive spin on the postponement, it gives the new signings more time to settle in.

Nothing is positive about this club, anything positive gets sold or poached. Club will never progress.
Si Robin
I'd say progressing from a Southern League club to third tier is good going to be honest. The likes of Rochdale spent 30 years in the same division. Oldham spent 20 at League 1 level before dropping like a stone.

Sometimes it's a good thing to take a step back and just appreciate how far we've come in the last 25 or so years.
Artemis
Si Robin wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 07:41 I'd say progressing from a Southern League club to third tier is good going to be honest. The likes of Rochdale spent 30 years in the same division. Oldham spent 20 at League 1 level before dropping like a stone.

Sometimes it's a good thing to take a step back and just appreciate how far we've come in the last 25 or so years.
To put things into perspective, 30 years ago (almost to the day), we drew 1-1 with Gresley Rovers at the Moat Ground.
We finished second in the Southern League (equivalent to the NLS) behind Farnborough Town. The season ended with a 2-1 defeat at the Recreation Ground, home of Bashley :-o.

To get back on topic, we drew 1-1 with Burton Albion at the old Eton Park that season. The scorer was Diaz - anyone remember who he was?

Things seemed to have perked up a bit for both clubs since then.

Info courtesy of http://ctfchistory.weebly.com/ (which I think Nesty runs)
art vandalay
That would be Tony Diaz who I think had a long association with Dorchester Town. Pretty sure we signed him for the last few months of the season to help with the promotion push and he returned to the south coast at the end of the season.
Artemis
art vandalay wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 12:13 That would be Tony Diaz who I think had a long association with Dorchester Town. Pretty sure we signed him for the last few months of the season to help with the promotion push and he returned to the south coast at the end of the season.
Thanks - I looked him up, and here's an article about him.

https://www.dorchestertownfc.co.uk/news ... -tony-diaz
Malabus
Si Robin wrote:I'd say progressing from a Southern League club to third tier is good going to be honest. The likes of Rochdale spent 30 years in the same division. Oldham spent 20 at League 1 level before dropping like a stone.

Today in the football league, not 40 years ago!
Last edited by Malabus on 07 Feb 2024, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Artemis
Malabus wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 12:56
Si Robin wrote:I'd say progressing from a Southern League club to third tier is good going to be honest. The likes of Rochdale spent 30 years in the same division. Oldham spent 20 at League 1 level before dropping like a stone.

Today in the football league, not 30 years ago!
If by progressing you mean keep finishing higher season on season, then that's just unrealistic.
Malabus
Artemis wrote:
Malabus wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 12:56

Today in the football league, not 30 years ago!
If by progressing you mean keep finishing higher season on season, then that's just unrealistic.
Building a solid foundation in L1 becoming an established L1 side.
Jerry St Clair
To coin a DC phrase, we are a million miles away from becoming an established League One side. And that's not because of mismanagement, it's because we are fundamentally a small fish in a relatively large pond.

Until our incoming increases to the point where we are in financial mid-table, we will always be punching above our weight, not established. I don't think this is likely in my lifetime.
Artemis
Jerry St Clair wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 13:13 To coin a DC phrase, we are a million miles away from becoming an established League One side. And that's not because of mismanagement, it's because we are fundamentally a small fish in a relatively large pond.

Until our incoming increases to the point where we are in financial mid-table, we will always be punching above our weight, not established. I don't think this is likely in my lifetime.
Yup. But just suppose we stayed in L1 long enough to be seen as an established L1 club (by whatever metric that's measured), to keep progressing along those lines - or risk charges of we don't progress - we'd have to eventually be winning the Premier League. That's simply unrealistic.
So progression can't be solely about league position, it has to include other metrics. e-ticketing, improved catering - those are some of the recent improvements I can see. Small things, but important steps forward, with I hope more to come. One of which I hope is better engagement with supporters, and communication from the board about the strategy they're following and how they measure success. In her letter to supporters the chair of Port Vale made some points in her open letter about what they had set out to achieve as a club.
Shade
I have wondered about this in the past. Would our fans be happy if we spent the next 30 years bobbing along in midtable League One, never likely to reach the play-offs but never really in relegation trouble either? We'd be a very established League One club. How boring. I have thought about how incredibly boring it must have been being a Rochdale fan when they were permanently in what is now League Two for 36 seasons (and 47 in the same division before that) before finally getting promotion to League One, followed in the next 11 years by relegation, promotion, relegation, relegation. All they've had since 1921 is 3 promotions and 4 relegations. Would their fans rather they were still plodding away in League Two for what would now be the 50th year and never got promoted to League One?
longmover
Shade wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 18:46 I have wondered about this in the past. Would our fans be happy if we spent the next 30 years bobbing along in midtable League One, never likely to reach the play-offs but never really in relegation trouble either? We'd be a very established League One club. How boring. I have thought about how incredibly boring it must have been being a Rochdale fan when they were permanently in what is now League Two for 36 seasons (and 47 in the same division before that) before finally getting promotion to League One, followed in the next 11 years by relegation, promotion, relegation, relegation. All they've had since 1921 is 3 promotions and 4 relegations. Would their fans rather they were still plodding away in League Two for what would now be the 50th year and never got promoted to League One?
I'd take mid table league one all day long, for a club of our size it would be wonderful to be in league one for the next 30 years. Or you can play Barrow, Harrogate, Crawley and other such bobbins.
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 10:40
Shade wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 18:46 I have wondered about this in the past. Would our fans be happy if we spent the next 30 years bobbing along in midtable League One, never likely to reach the play-offs but never really in relegation trouble either? We'd be a very established League One club. How boring. I have thought about how incredibly boring it must have been being a Rochdale fan when they were permanently in what is now League Two for 36 seasons (and 47 in the same division before that) before finally getting promotion to League One, followed in the next 11 years by relegation, promotion, relegation, relegation. All they've had since 1921 is 3 promotions and 4 relegations. Would their fans rather they were still plodding away in League Two for what would now be the 50th year and never got promoted to League One?
I'd take mid table league one all day long, for a club of our size it would be wonderful to be in league one for the next 30 years. Or you can play Barrow, Harrogate, Crawley and other such bobbins.
Ditto, stay in league one with maybe the outside chance of reaching the play-offs. The alternative is to be incredibly boring in L2, because with the sums of money being invested now in lower league clubs, I think we will find it hard to get out of L2 again
horlickfanclub
How did this post get from an away game being rained off to the tedious " we have no ambition" drizzle ?
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 11:45 How did this post get from an away game being rained off to the tedious " we have no ambition" drizzle ?
slow news week
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

I’d rather start each season in L1 with the hope and uncertainty that our five loans might be gems who fluke a 250/1 promotion campaign. And I’d rather start each season in L1 seeing which new 30,000+ stadiums there are to visit and which big teams we can try and give a bloody nose to.

Sure some of the away days to Guiseley etc in the Champions season were fun but purely because we knew we had the league won and we were enjoying a procession. I don’t want to be going to places like that again, or year in year out.

Surviving in L1 is a tremendous achievement for CTFC and I’d take 50 more years of it.