Darell Clarke

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
Boy is this man getting respect from so many Cheltenham Fans, the saying you can't polish turds has been kicked out of the window, because he can. The transformation is unbelievable. I was not a happy bunny when we sold Goodwin and failed to impress in the January transfer market, bringing two strikers most wouldnt of considerd.

Hes got player respect, his ex players he's brought to the club have played a remarkable role in our fight for survival. I include Lloyd in that list as he was at Vale on loan when Clarke was there, although scoring is still a problem for him.

Forget Bonds goals, it was much better watching him going forward last night and not losing the ball infront of our defence.

A win against Vale on Saturday, and with Charlton away at Bolton, we could be in a great position to survive. A total different side to when Darell Clarke took over as gaffer

Well done DC total respect
Si Robin
Not a dig at you Shev I promise - but it amazes me how many spellings of Darrell there are on here and on social media in general.

I agree with your post entirely by the way.
Si Robin
FWIW - this is excellent man management:

https://twitter.com/Aidan_Keena/status/ ... 1709838845
Broadway Brian
We’re lucky to have him. I hope we’re mutually good for each other.

He’s gone large on the midfield, as that’s where matches are won. We dominated again last night with a combination not too many would have gone for. We’ve got a fresh Sercs for Saturday to boot too.

The blip against Wycombe was the midfield’s poorest game for some time, hence the outcome.

I just hope we can steal enough moments of luck and quality in games that will get the necessary points required. We’ll be competitive in the vast majority of games for sure.

We could / should have had 5 last night.
1985CTFC
Broadway Brian wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 13:28 We’re lucky to have him. I hope we’re mutually good for each other.

He’s gone large on the midfield, as that’s where matches are won. We dominated again last night with a combination not too many would have gone for. We’ve got a fresh Sercs for Saturday to boot too.

The blip against Wycombe was the midfield’s poorest game for some time, hence the outcome.

I just hope we can steal enough moments of luck and quality in games that will get the necessary points required. We’ll be competitive in the vast majority of games for sure.

One thing that is sooooooooooo apparent since DC took charge, and that is we are nearly always first to the the first/second ball. It just seems to fall to one of our players, and it isn't luck. Our midfield now seem to have space and have the ball and pick up knockdowns and loose balls. Uncanny. Must now have magnets in their boots.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 14:16
Broadway Brian wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 13:28 We’re lucky to have him. I hope we’re mutually good for each other.

One thing that is sooooooooooo apparent since DC took charge, and that is we are nearly always first to the the first/second ball. It just seems to fall to one of our players, and it isn't luck. Our midfield now seem to have space and have the ball and pick up knockdowns and loose balls. Uncanny. Must now have magnets in their boots.
Strange you say that because in the first half hour last night I was thinking the ball kept falling to Blackpool players in midfield almost every time it went loose. Not that they were allowed to do too much with it.
Ralph
It will be great if we can get past Charlton soon. Grass isn't always greener Alfie.
Goodwin has only been on the bench a couple of times and has not started a game since he went to Oxford
Fuller
Ralph wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 15:24 Goodwin has only been on the bench a couple of times and has not started a game since he went to Oxford
That's because he has been injured (again.)
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 15:14

Strange you say that because in the first half hour last night I was thinking the ball kept falling to Blackpool players in midfield almost every time it went loose. Not that they were allowed to do too much with it.
Was talking generally since DC took charge. Some games it hasn't happened for us, ie Wycombe, Northampton.
Need to rewatch first half from yesterday and take a look. But it must have been better than earlier in the season.
2nd half better?
Horteng
Love his no nonsense approach.

All questions answered..... No umming and ahhing...... Its very refreshing and quite a remarkable turn around under him
ctfc-fan
Horteng wrote:Love his no nonsense approach.

All questions answered..... No umming and ahhing...... Its very refreshing and quite a remarkable turn around under him
Apart from the one a few weeks back about an injury…
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 15:53

Was talking generally since DC took charge. Some games it hasn't happened for us, ie Wycombe, Northampton.
Need to rewatch first half from yesterday and take a look. But it must have been better than earlier in the season.
2nd half better?
Generally from about half an hour onwards when we started building some pressure and went ahead. I'm sure there must have been a bit of a tactical change with the wingbacks, or Kinsella and Bonds. Before that, their midfield seemed to be finding the ball popping to their feet and playing it out to their little winger Dembele, who always seemed to have a bit of space. Or, for example, when Freestone was caught way out on the half way line trying to anticipate, then when running back tried to dive in and take him out but missed and got booked anyway.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 18:36
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 15:53

2nd half better?
Generally from about half an hour onwards when we started building some pressure and went ahead. I'm sure there must have been a bit of a tactical change with the wingbacks, or Kinsella and Bonds. Before that, their midfield seemed to be finding the ball popping to their feet and playing it out to their little winger Dembele, who always seemed to have a bit of space. Or, for example, when Freestone was caught way out on the half way line trying to anticipate, then when running back tried to dive in and take him out but missed and got booked anyway.
Not often you are booked for being too slow
plymrob
"Too slow..."? Surely that explains just about all of Southwood's bookings...?
Garby74
High press
Urgency
Playing percentages
Ball hardly ever comes back to defence from a throw.
That used to get on my tits...mid way in opposition half and recycling of what ever you call it from a throw.
Fuc£ that bo//0c£s....get it in the mixer
In DC we trust
bigdavejambo
how long is his contract?
MacRobin
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:10 FWIW - this is excellent man management:

https://twitter.com/Aidan_Keena/status/ ... 1709838845
Clearly DC is building a hell of bond with this group and the siege mentality is definitely working.

However, the ‘tweet’ from Aidan is really impressive. You could forgive him for keeping his head down and possibly feeling sorry for himself, but this selfless, positive and determined message is the mark of someone giving everything for the group who will come good.

Keep going Aidan - those floodgates will open soon enough!
longmover
if he does keep us up then I can see other clubs very keen to get his services next season
paperboy
Don't get me wrong, DC is doing a fantastic job and is rightly getting plenty of plaudits.
How many fans sent him Valentine cards yesterday as the DC love in rightly gathers momentum.

Here's a gentle reminder that good things don't last forever.... from the Nest a few years ago.

No better man to guide us through the most important season in the clubs history than Gary Johnson. RCS is right he has saved CTFC from years of noddy league obscurity. Stunning turnaround in just one season. Steve is a legend but Gary is a genius.

😉
Malabus
Ralph wrote:It will be great if we can get past Charlton soon. Grass isn't always greener Alfie.
Goodwin has only been on the bench a couple of times and has not started a game since he went to Oxford
I take it his back to full fitness regarding injury. Goodwin did worry me as a very young player seeing the treatment room too often.
horlickfanclub
A quad injury is a nightmare. Will came back too soon for us and if he keeps doing it his season is done.
Uppy
Doing an outstanding job. This team was historically hopeless when he came in and there’s not a single game that I don’t think we have a chance in nowadays.