16 games to go

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

MacRobin
So, 16 games to go. 8 at home and 8 away.

Personally, I think we should be looking for 7 wins to secure safety. Anything else picked up from the odd draw would be a bonus but 51/52 points will be safe.

The good news is our list of home games should offer a good chance of 5/6 wins:

Port Vale
Burton
Charlton
Peterborough
Exeter
Carlisle
Bristol Rovers
Lincoln City

More importantly, at least five of these are teams around us so make no mistake Whaddon Road holds the key.

We have 16 points from our last 10 games (despite the refereeing debacles at Bolton & Derby) so continuing that form will do the job!

It’s never that simple, but there are plenty of reasons to be positive and if we can put Port Vale away on Saturday that will complete the perfect week and set us up to have a right go at Wigan and Wycombe!
Ihearye
MacRobin wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 10:01 So, 16 games to go. 8 at home and 8 away.

Personally, I think we should be looking for 7 wins to secure safety. Anything else picked up from the odd draw would be a bonus but 51/52 points will be safe.

Port Vale
Burton
Charlton
Peterborough
Exeter
Carlisle
Bristol Rovers
Lincoln City

More importantly, at least five of these are teams around us so make no mistake Whaddon Road holds the key.

We have 16 points from our last 10 games (despite the refereeing debacles at Bolton & Derby) so continuing that form will do the job!

It’s never that simple, but there are plenty of reasons to be positive and if we can put Port Vale away on Saturday that will complete the perfect week and set us up to have a right go at Wigan and Wycombe!
Watch the ejits at the club ask Bristol rovers etc would they like to use a couple of blocks in the CF. If they do this they need to take a good look at themselves
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:04
MacRobin wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 10:01 So, 16 games to go. 8 at home and 8 away.

Port Vale
Burton
Charlton
Peterborough
Exeter
Carlisle
Bristol Rovers
Lincoln City

Watch the ejits at the club ask Bristol rovers etc would they like to use a couple of blocks in the CF. If they do this they need to take a good look at themselves
I hope DC is clear to the Board: no away fans in the CF again this season.
QED
The best way to ensure we don’t have away fans in the CF is for us to get home fans in there - if we can build on this form and get the word out that we’re capable of pulling off a legendary escape, then maybe a few hundreds of the casual fans can be convinced to come be a part of it.
Ihearye
QED wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 14:21 The best way to ensure we don’t have away fans in the CF is for us to get home fans in there - if we can build on this form and get the word out that we’re capable of pulling off a legendary escape, then maybe a few hundreds of the casual fans can be convinced to come be a part of it.
I would argue even if we only had 50 home fans in there it's better
bigdavejambo
only problem is the revenie from the extra away fans could be an extra signing in the summer
Ihearye
bigdavejambo wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 16:47 only problem is the revenie from the extra away fans could be an extra signing in the summer
Or relegation
CS85
Well we have filled the Colin farmer with home fans for the port vale game,blocks 7/8 are shaded out as if they were allocated due to a load of youngsters from Tewkesbury footvlball clubs(I think) going in there.
Well actually nearly everybseat in the ground is taken which is great news.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
QED wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 14:21 The best way to ensure we don’t have away fans in the CF is for us to get home fans in there - if we can build on this form and get the word out that we’re capable of pulling off a legendary escape, then maybe a few hundreds of the casual fans can be convinced to come be a part of it.
Hard to get home fans in there for big games if it’s already been allocated to the away side.

It will take a good half season or even a season of it being home fans only for people to get used to tickets being available every game.

How many people who couldn’t get tickets due to away fans in the CF haven’t bothered to try again? It’s like if a shop is always closed whenever you try to visit you eventually don’t bother trying anymore.
Artemis
If we're still in touch with safety by the time the Roofers game comes round, surely with some marketing, we can fill the CF with home support and not have to give them blocks 7 & 8.
Come on Board, you know what to do
Robin
The Colin Farmer sells out pretty regularly already the issue is very much people don't want to go in the old stand as there is no leg room and the club won't put away fans in there due to segregation concerns.
Robin
CS85 wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 17:39 Well we have filled the Colin farmer with home fans for the port vale game,blocks 7/8 are shaded out as if they were allocated due to a load of youngsters from Tewkesbury footvlball clubs(I think) going in there.
Well actually nearly everybseat in the ground is taken which is great news.
Shows how desperate we are for a new main stand with a good seating capacity and which can generate non-match day revenue. It's crazy how the board still haven't been able to secure funding to at least purchase the Cakebridge place land from teh council.
Si Robin
We don't own the land the stadium is on, I doubt we're going to purchase Cakebridge Place.
Ihearye
Well there's our answer. Tried to buy tickets for the Charlton game and they have been allocated 7&8 in the CF. Couldn't make it up. Bunch of clowns
CTFCfan99
Ihearye wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 10:43 Well there's our answer. Tried to buy tickets for the Charlton game and they have been allocated 7&8 in the CF. Couldn't make it up. Bunch of clowns
Really not sure if that's the case. Charlton average less than 1000 away fans, brought less than 1000 last season on a Saturday, and it's on a Tuesday night. Expect it's more likely that we're trying to sell blocks 1-6 first and blocks 7 and 8 will go on sale later/on the day.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 10:14 We don't own the land the stadium is on, I doubt we're going to purchase Cakebridge Place.
Are you suggesting that owning the ground would not be a strategic priority for us Si :o I believe we wanted to buy it a while back but settled on the long term lease as we couldn't raise the funds at the time in League two. Buying Cakebridge place would, you'd think, by more feasible whilst we are in league one and is vital for the long term future at Whaddon Road as it's hard to imagine us building a viable new stand with the right capacity and non-match day space without taking it on. If the council get bored of us dithering and decide to build homes there then we will realistically need to look at an alternative location for a ground which will cost a lot more longer term.
Ihearye
CTFCfan99 wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 12:00
Ihearye wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 10:43 Well there's our answer. Tried to buy tickets for the Charlton game and they have been allocated 7&8 in the CF. Couldn't make it up. Bunch of clowns
Really not sure if that's the case. Charlton average less than 1000 away fans, brought less than 1000 last season on a Saturday, and it's on a Tuesday night. Expect it's more likely that we're trying to sell blocks 1-6 first and blocks 7 and 8 will go on sale later/on the day.
I do hope you are right. If that is the case I have never really understood that practice when selling tickets in the CF (apart from a purely financial reason). I am guessing people would only purchase tickets in blocks 7 or 8 because
A) no other seats available
B) the options available in other blocks don't allow for the party number to sit together
C) the tickets available in other blocks are not under cover. Who would want to sit exposed to the elements in a lower row in block 6 when you could sit in a covered area in block 7?
Again it comes down in parts to how much you want to enhance the user experience, by giving them the options as to where they sit. I would be pretty certain the folk I am booking tickets for would not be too pleased if I got seats that don't afford protection from the rain. Luckily there are seats available higher up in block 6 :)
I know this has been discussed as much as a new stand LOL, so will be optimistic and presume they are not being allocated to away support but held back for the reasons you explain
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 12:30
Si Robin wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 10:14 We don't own the land the stadium is on, I doubt we're going to purchase Cakebridge Place.
Are you suggesting that owning the ground would not be a strategic priority for us Si :o I believe we wanted to buy it a while back but settled on the long term lease as we couldn't raise the funds at the time in League two. Buying Cakebridge place would, you'd think, by more feasible whilst we are in league one and is vital for the long term future at Whaddon Road as it's hard to imagine us building a viable new stand with the right capacity and non-match day space without taking it on. If the council get bored of us dithering and decide to build homes there then we will realistically need to look at an alternative location for a ground which will cost a lot more longer term.
Irrespective of how it ends up being used, it would look like a good investment to have in the portfolio. Am surprised the Folly is being sold for housing, yet no decision as been made on what that Cakebridge will be used for
Si Robin
I'm not suggesting anything. Simply pointing out that we don't own the land the ground is on so are unlikely to purchase ground adjacent to it.

I suspect that without either significant investment (which doesn't look likely tbh) or help from the council, then any new stand is but a pipe-dream. Regardless of how much we need it.
Malabus
Hearing people are struggling to get match tickets for the forthcoming game versus Port Vale. I would presume that would be in the CF stand. Must take in account its ‘kids for a quid’ on Saturday.
Robin
Ihearye wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 12:39
Irrespective of how it ends up being used, it would look like a good investment to have in the portfolio. Am surprised the Folly is being sold for housing, yet no decision as been made on what that Cakebridge will be used for
I honestly don't understand how buying the land should not be one of our top priorities, even in the short term we could use it as extended car parking space and an asset on our balance sheet.
Ihearye
Malabus wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 13:22 Hearing people are struggling to get match tickets for the forthcoming game versus Port Vale. I would presume that would be in the CF stand. Must take in account its ‘kids for a quid’ on Saturday.
looks like only odds and sods in the CF and main stand
CS85
Yes 11 seated tickets left. Mostly the very front row of the CF stand.
Shade
Robin wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 13:36

I honestly don't understand how buying the land should not be one of our top priorities, even in the short term we could use it as extended car parking space and an asset on our balance sheet.
I don't know where you've got the idea that the council are sat around waiting for us to stump up the cash for it? Last I read, the council still hadn't made up their mind about it and the club were waiting to hear from them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin’s astute mathematical brain must be aware we already have a mortgage on the training ground, and interest rates are very high now so not the best time to buy more real estate.
horlickfanclub
The Folly may not be sold if enough objections go in and it is very different from Cakebridge as the Council does not own it as far as I know.