Robins' amazing improvement

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
I wouldn't mind if it was a job tbf.

Frankly, anyone giving up when we're only 7 points off safety with 35 games to go wants their heads testing.
Swiss-Robin
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:52 I wouldn't mind if it was a job tbf.

Frankly, anyone giving up when we're only 7 points off safety with 35 games to go wants their heads testing.
Again I beg to differ.

Can you back that judgement up with facts perchance?

I have been watching football 60 years.

I never saw such a comeback as this.

Also. Get your numbers straight. On 3rd Oct were were 9 (where did you get 7 from?) away from safety. That's massive after 11 games, and would only get exponential larger as time passes.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/co ... -and-away/

Now....

Get Ur $hit together and celebrate it with us all.

We can do this!

Much love.

In DC we trust....even if you don't.
Si Robin
I did write out a response, but given you've clearly not read any of my posts on this thread properly what's the point?

EDIT - The Table you posted doesn't include Wigan's points deduction, or Reading's.

Here's the correct table - it was 7 points:
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... ober-2023/
Swiss-Robin
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 20:44 I did write out a response, but given you've clearly not read any of my posts on this thread properly what's the point?

EDIT - The Table you posted doesn't include Wigan's points deduction, or Reading's.

Point noted.

But are you blind?

Why can't you get on the bandwagon and celebrate what is happening?

How miserablist a fan are you?

I see no enthusiasm or support coming from you whatsoever.

Nothing.

Out here in Europe, I am banging our drum. Now have Barnsley, MU, even Benfica fans rooting for us.

All you project on here and the pod is utter doom and negativity.

Much respect.
Last edited by Swiss-Robin on 23 Feb 2024, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Si Robin
Oh f#!$ off.

I have literally typed out that I wouldn’t want anyone else in charge in this thread. I was actually in awe of the bloke a few weeks ago when I got to interview him.

Saying he’s not our greatest manager of all time, yet, doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s done a great job.
Swiss-Robin
I never said he's our greatest manager.

Just wish you would wake up and smell the coffee and see how far we have travelled since 3rd October.

But...

...you can't.

Says it all that you are reduced to using foul and abusive language above towards me.

NB: I have reported your abusive comment to the site admin.
Si Robin
https://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic ... 83#p347883

On this thread from September is a post from me and a post from you.

And I'm the negative one...

On more than one occasion in this thread I have said DC has done an amazing job. I have also said his job wasn't impossible. That you had us relegated after a few weeks of the season doesn't change that fact.
Si Robin
Swiss-Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 21:45 NB: I have reported your abusive comment to the site admin.
I look forward to my ban :lol:
1985CTFC
Swiss-Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:43
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:38 I agree with your last sentence completely.

My whole argument is that when he took over we were hardly adrift. Whilst it looked hopeless, it wasn't beyond belief that we could turn it around. Certainly not mine, as evidenced by my comments on the Robins Report at the time.
Sorry. I beg to differ. We were in $hit street at that time with zero prospect of anything changing.

End of your argument.

Quite simply:

WE HAVE CLIMBED OUT OF A COFFIN.

If you can't see this, then shame on you.

Do us all a favour and quit your podcast job and give it to a fan that can see and appreciate the miracle that is happening.

End of.
I am tending to agree with all your comments. He is no football guru. DC is.
Last edited by 1985CTFC on 23 Feb 2024, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Si Robin
Who's claiming to be a football guru?
Ihearye
Artemis wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 13:12
Ihearye wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 12:46
Si Robin wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 07:26 Again - as poor a start as it was, we were only 7 points off safety when he took over. We were further behind a couple of weeks back.
Maths and logic being distorted a bit. Not the same being 7 points behind after 11 games as being 7 points ish behind after 20 games
Whilst I think I get the sentiment - seven points behind with three games left means winning them all - seven points is seven points......
It is indeed, but the sentiment I was trying to portray is that, I would argue, a team must have been playing less well to be 7 points behind after playing only 11 matches, than one that is 7 points behind after playing 22 games.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:02 Who's claiming to be a football guru?
You at times. Glad I am not the only one to notice how you slag someone of with some of your comments as if you are always right.
Well done Swiss.
And well done the the lads in Wigan
Si Robin
My logic was that we had plenty of games left though. It was bad to be 7 points behind after 11 games, but it meant we had plenty of time to turn it around - as has been proven.

If we're still 7 points behind with three games to go, then staying up is a miracle. I don't believe it's a miracle when you have 3/4 of a season left.

That is not taking anything away from the job DC has done. I believe he's been remarkable. But he himself said that failing to keep us up would be a failure. I agree with him.
Si Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:07
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:02 Who's claiming to be a football guru?
You at times. Glad I am not the only one to notice how you slag someone of with some of your comments as if you are always right.
Well done Swiss.
And well done the the lads in Wigan
I have never slagged anyone off, ever. I'm confident in my opinions and will back them up with facts if required. If I'm proven wrong then I will always hold my hands up.

We had a thread on here a few weeks back about recruitment. It's quite an achievement that I'm now thinking of walking away after being on the Nest for over 20 years.

Well done.
asl
Dear Lord, is this still going on? I received the somewhat-frivolous report, and have PM'd as I saw appropriate. Play nicely.

And I don't care who started it, I'm ending it! [Said every mother of multiple children since the dawn of time]
art vandalay
I disagree Si. The reason we weren‘t too many points behind is because not too many games had been played. But we were astoundingly bad and the turnaround required was absolutely massive, not just simply a case of recovering 7 points. One point and no goals from twelve games is absolutely pathetic. We were a long, long way from being good enough even to go down in 21st position.

To recover from that scenario and reach 51 points we‘d need almost 1.5 points per game. Not over half a dozen games, or 15 games, but over 34 games. That‘s consistent, top half of the table form over 34 games by a team that was barely capable of managing a shot on target. That was a huge requirement and it‘s to everyone‘s credit that we have a chance of pulling it off.
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:06
Artemis wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 13:12
Ihearye wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 12:46

Maths and logic being distorted a bit. Not the same being 7 points behind after 11 games as being 7 points ish behind after 20 games
Whilst I think I get the sentiment - seven points behind with three games left means winning them all - seven points is seven points......
It is indeed, but the sentiment I was trying to portray is that, I would argue, a team must have been playing less well to be 7 points behind after playing only 11 matches, than one that is 7 points behind after playing 22 games.
That's the point I've been trying to make too! It's surely self-evident init?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
After 11 games were 8 points behind Fleetwood in 20th.

Fleetwood at that stage had 9 points, so 0.81 points per game.

And, after 32 games Fleetwood has 26 points…0.81 per game.

They’ve stayed constant, which shows how much we have improved to be 7 points ahead after 32 games.
HamTown
Some bonkers posts here when Si is just being a little bit more more measured with his enthusiasm, you'd think he was calling for DCs head despite saying he's been fantastic!

Keep on posting Si, it's people like you the set Robins nest apart from the tripe on facebook and twitter
Shade
Blimey, I've just scanned through and is this really what people are spending their Friday night arguing about? :lol:
vickeryc
Shade wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 23:05 Blimey, I've just scanned through and is this really what people are spending their Friday night arguing about? :lol:
True! All I tried to do in my OP was to demonstrate (with facts) how well our manager has done to turn things around after one of the worst-ever starts to a season! 🤣
RS1978
1985CTFC wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:01
Swiss-Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:43
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:38 I agree with your last sentence completely.

My whole argument is that when he took over we were hardly adrift. Whilst it looked hopeless, it wasn't beyond belief that we could turn it around. Certainly not mine, as evidenced by my comments on the Robins Report at the time.
Sorry. I beg to differ. We were in $hit street at that time with zero prospect of anything changing.

End of your argument.

Quite simply:

WE HAVE CLIMBED OUT OF A COFFIN.

If you can't see this, then shame on you.

Do us all a favour and quit your podcast job and give it to a fan that can see and appreciate the miracle that is happening.

End of.
I am tending to agree with all your comments. He is no football guru. DC is.

SwissR - now there HAS to be a Halloween 2024 crossover next season whatever happens😂

"After not scoring for 11 league games at the start of last season people were thinking that even the fabled Re-Animator couldn't bring them back to life" etc etc
Broadway Brian
HamTown wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 22:57 Some bonkers posts here when Si is just being a little bit more more measured with his enthusiasm, you'd think he was calling for DCs head despite saying he's been fantastic!

Keep on posting Si, it's people like you the set Robins nest apart from the tripe on facebook and twitter
Now come on. There’s no need for common sense and a total lack of knicker-wetting like that is there? No place for it on here.
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 20:53
Si Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 20:44 I did write out a response, but given you've clearly not read any of my posts on this thread properly what's the point?

Point noted.

But are you blind?

Why can't you get on the bandwagon and celebrate what is happening?

How miserablist a fan are you?

I see no enthusiasm or support coming from you whatsoever.

Nothing.

Out here in Europe, I am banging our drum. Now have Barnsley, MU, even Benfica fans rooting for us.

All you project on here and the pod is utter doom and negativity.

Much respect.
Glad I don't listen to the podcast if it produces such outpouring between to adults.
Jerry St Clair
Swiss-Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 20:09

In 2021 Nottingham Forest lost 6 out of their first 7 games. They had one point and sat bottom of the table after their worst start to a season for 108 years. They were 3 points off 23rd place and 5 points from safety in mid-September. Chris Hughton was sacked and Steve Cooper came in.

They then lost only six more games all season and got promoted to the Prem via the play-offs.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 23:05 Blimey, I've just scanned through and is this really what people are spending their Friday night arguing about? :lol:
If you're not a fan of pointless arguments, then I suggest you stay away from football message boards!
vickeryc
Jerry St Clair wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 07:41
Swiss-Robin wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 20:09

In 2021 Nottingham Forest lost 6 out of their first 7 games. They had one point and sat bottom of the table after their worst start to a season for 108 years. They were 3 points off 23rd place and 5 points from safety in mid-September. Chris Hughton was sacked and Steve Cooper came in.

They then lost only six more games all season and got promoted to the Prem via the play-offs.
I must admit, that is impressive! 😀
RS1978
Jerry St Clair wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 07:43
If you're not a fan of pointless arguments, then I suggest you stay away from football message boards!
It's like arguing about that song that the fans sing at the football "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" Are you? Are you really? Or is it just that you've scored a goal or two or had a good couple of games? You're singing that you've seen every incidence of football since it was codified in the 1860s and the current game in your (presumably slightly biased) viewpoint is that your team is "by FAR the best ?" Better than the 1978 Brazilians? Better than a team with Pele? Messi? Ronaldo? Tom Finney? Lilly Parr? Dave Lewis? Etc.etc. 😂

That way lies madness...

Just don't take it to heart Si Robin or SwissR we're all here to give our opinions on Ctfc in our different ( mostly rambling in my case!) ways... :D
Jerry St Clair
RS1978 wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 08:53
It's like arguing about that song that the fans sing at the football "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" Are you? Are you really? Or is it just that you've scored a goal or two or had a good couple of games? You're singing that you've seen every incidence of football since it was codified in the 1860s and the current game in your (presumably slightly biased) viewpoint is that your team is "by FAR the best ?" Better than the 1978 Brazilians? Better than a team with Pele? Messi? Ronaldo? Tom Finney? Lilly Parr? Dave Lewis? Etc.etc. 😂

That way lies madness...

Just don't take it to heart Si Robin or SwissR we're all here to give our opinions on Ctfc in our different ( mostly rambling in my case!) ways... :D
Does Lewis Freestone REALLY hate Forest Green? Discuss.
Warwickshire Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 09:43
RS1978 wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 08:53

That way lies madness...

Does Lewis Freestone REALLY hate Forest Green? Discuss.
And can we all really drive tractors?!
Warwickshire Robin
For me it is not just about coming back from being 7 points adrift after 11 games which in itself is a tremendous achievement, it is all the other stuff that caused this situation in the first place. For a club like ours to just survive at this level nearly everything has to run perfectly however from kicking the final ball of last season things went horribly awry.

The recruitment team left at their most important time, Wade's assistant left, one of the best players the club left in semi controversial circumstances and so a novice manager was basically left to run the whole club for a number of weeks.

So to turn this ship around since coming in has been an amazing thing, I would say if we stay up the clubs greatest achievement. Does it make DC our greatest manager? Not yet but its certainly a good start!
art vandalay
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 09:54 And can we all really drive tractors?!
Can we drive tractors? Yes, if you have a car licence
Do we drive tractors? No
RS1978
"Darrell Clarke's Red and White Army?" At the rate our defense is shipping own goals we're looking more like the Sally Army...😏

Tbh I pictured Asl the Mod as per Graham
Chapman's Colonel in Monty Python - only intervening when things got very silly on here😁
Ihearye
I think our more direct style is working partially because all teams are now used to teams always building from the back and defending against that. Therefore defences struggle against being constantly under stress
Jerry St Clair
art vandalay wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 10:36
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 09:54 And can we all really drive tractors?!
Can we drive tractors? Yes, if you have a car licence
Do we drive tractors? No
Most people on here seem to have a basic level of literacy, so the first line of the song is tosh as well.