Cheltenham Town v Burton Albion

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 10:16
Robin wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 08:52
art vandalay wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 23:05 A total of two shots on target in our last three games must be a big concern.
How many did we have yesterday, I could only think of two both for Taylor one which seemed a certain goal but defender blocked it and the other the free header which the keeper caught easily.
BBC says no efforts on target, out of eight shots in total. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68389256

CTFC.com also says zero on target from eight. https://www.ctfc.com/matches/fixtures/f ... 02-mar-24/

I suspect they both get the data from the same provider.
Fair play to the Burton defender, that was a brilliant block from a couple of yards out. It was definitely on target.
If it had gone in then it could well have changed the whole mood of the afternoon.
Broadway Brian
The biggest concern for me is Sercs’ drop in form, particularly his goal threat.

Our formation with both Lloyd and Street hammering defenders down the channels worked a treat for him. We don’t get that with Taylor, but Taylor’s goals covered up for that.

We need one of them firing at least.
Jim
Broadway Brian wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 07:31 The biggest concern for me is Sercs’ drop in form, particularly his goal threat.

Our formation with both Lloyd and Street hammering defenders down the channels worked a treat for him. We don’t get that with Taylor, but Taylor’s goals covered up for that.

I've thought the same. On Saturday he seemed to be playing deeper than previously, with Kinsella as the more advanced of the 3 midfielders.

We've got a stacked schedule and I think we're definitely seeing some fatigue out there. I'd expect to see Bonds start on Tuesday, but realistically what other changes can we make without weakening the 11? Harrop might be worth a go to give Sercs a break. A change of formation and use Thomas from the start?

They're our best two, but I think it's dangerous to keep starting Lloyd and Taylor every game. Maybe rest one with the intention of bringing one on after 60 mins (unless we're cruising at 3-0...).

Maybe it's time to see what Sloggett can do...!
paperboy
Big match with a big crowd, let's hope that gets the players up for it.
Our players seem able to play better against the bigger teams.
On a side note will the upcoming international break work for us or against us?
Shade
Jim wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 09:50
Broadway Brian wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 07:31 The biggest concern for me is Sercs’ drop in form, particularly his goal threat.

I've thought the same. On Saturday he seemed to be playing deeper than previously, with Kinsella as the more advanced of the 3 midfielders.

We've got a stacked schedule and I think we're definitely seeing some fatigue out there. I'd expect to see Bonds start on Tuesday, but realistically what other changes can we make without weakening the 11? Harrop might be worth a go to give Sercs a break. A change of formation and use Thomas from the start?

They're our best two, but I think it's dangerous to keep starting Lloyd and Taylor every game. Maybe rest one with the intention of bringing one on after 60 mins (unless we're cruising at 3-0...).

Maybe it's time to see what Sloggett can do...!
It's not like Sercs has played 90 mins every game, though - he has been either playing 60-70 minutes or coming on for the last 15-20 most games. And with matches being postponed thrown in, I don't think any of them should really be suffering from fatigue. DC has rotated the midfield a lot (that might be part of the problem).
RS1978
I think that DC needs to roll the dice - this was the third game where we haven't had much of an attacking threat. Against Wycombe and Burton the major attacking ploy was to lump it up to Lloyd/Taylor/Keena and let them scrap for it against taller defenders - which DC tells us was not his plan. At least if Street/a makeshift attacker like Shepherd or Bradbury was up front it would make sense, but not when there's three strikers under 6ft. We need a different approach if the players aren't doing what DC wants. Maybe start Harrop/Sloggett/Nuttall for a change? Ask Pett to shoot more as he takes up really good positions?

It almost seems like we're the dog chasing traffic - it was so outlandish after 11 games that we'd be in a position to possibly stay up that now we have a decent chance, the team don't know what to do!

Be interesting to see what DC goes with tomorrow, as he showed against Wycombe he's willing to try things when it isn't working🤔
Horteng
Performances seem to of gone really flat. Very little goal threat, players off the pace compared to opponents. After a glimmer of hope I sadly think the last couple of results will have a big impact and result in relegation now. Its hard to see many positives after such a promising start and bounce under DC.