Charlton.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 10:12 We were given a few free kicks on Saturday so I doubt we'll be awarded more than 3 tonight.
Be interesting to see how many they clock up against us. Hopefully more than 3! Need to take advantage of however many we get.
1985CTFC
everyman wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 10:40
Shade wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 10:12 We were given a few free kicks on Saturday so I doubt we'll be awarded more than 3 tonight.
Our free-kicks haven`t been very good all season but recently corners have improved,if only we had a Will Boyle.
That's why I would love to see a Monster back line of Long, Davies, Bradbury, Shepherd and if Ferry injured, Freestone. Pile all 5 in to the box when we get a foul against us. One of them should get a head on the ball shouldn't they??? Just make sure we have cover at the back when being taken!
Shade
What do we reckon - chances of survival in the bin if we lose tonight? Maybe not if we play quite well but lose? Hanging by a thread if we draw? Personally, with the last 3 performances, and the next 3 games after tonight, I think if we don't win then we have a very small percentage of survival. How quickly things can change in 3 or 4 games. After Port Vale and 3 wins in a week I was almost certain we were staying up.

Win it, and we're a point behind Charlton with 2 games in hand on them. It's on a knife edge.
Jerry St Clair
It won't be over, but a draw and a loss at home to teams in the relegation fight is not indicative of a team that is going to stay up.

The problem is the draw on Saturday. A win against Burton and a draw tonight and I suspect we'd all be feeling chipper. Saturday's non-performance has piled the pressure on tonight.
1985CTFC
Any teams including us that can string 2 winning games together are going to feel a whole lot more comfortable. Don't want any of the other teams on 38 points to suddenly get 2 wins on the bounce. Need a couple within a few points of us to stay with us for the time being.
Garby74
The sea saw emotional roller coaster continues.

The last two performances have me worried.

If we had won against Burton this was a free hit....this is now a critical game.

I would like to see a high tempo high press set up tonight. Get the crowd behind the team from the off.

The fact is we are running out of games and need wins. DC needs to freshen things up
1985CTFC
Charlton have had 14 draws which is most in the league. Not really what we need. Everyone in the team need their goal scoring boots on. Saying that I am predicting a winning header from someone. :D
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 14:39 What do we reckon - chances of survival in the bin if we lose tonight? Maybe not if we play quite well but lose? Hanging by a thread if we draw? Personally, with the last 3 performances, and the next 3 games after tonight, I think if we don't win then we have a very small percentage of survival. How quickly things can change in 3 or 4 games. After Port Vale and 3 wins in a week I was almost certain we were staying up.

Win it, and we're a point behind Charlton with 2 games in hand on them. It's on a knife edge.
I think we need to win. I posted this on another forum - with Posh H likely to be postponed we'll only play twice more before 29th March with those being at Oxford and Barnsley, while the teams around us will all play 3 or 4 games in that time. If we don't win tonight then I think we'll need to win one of those away games to still be in touch by the end of the month.

If not, even with games in hand it'll be a tough ask to overcome whatever the gap is at that point.
1985CTFC
Apparently Matty has scored 4 in 7 games against Charlton. Make that 5 in 8 by 10pm

ooooops wrong again
Herbie53
Ihearye wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 17:09
asl wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 17:04 If one of our greatest ever players gets anything less than a decent reception, the fans of this club should hang their heads in shame.

He's bound to score...
after his scoring celebration, he can go and feck himself and I wouldn't be hanging my head in shame
Booked tonight for "Excessive celebration"
FFS!
RS1978
Herbie53 wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 00:02
asl wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 17:04 If one of our greatest ever players gets anything less than a decent reception, the fans of this club should hang their heads in shame.

He's bound to score...
after his scoring celebration, he can go and feck himself and I wouldn't be hanging my head in shame
FFS!
Tbh I have no problem with May celebrating a goal against us - we don't pay his wages and Charlton do - and it's better than the "performative non-celebration" that players do against their former clubs. His 20 goals/season whilst he was here was a major factor in us staying in the league with one of the lowest budgets - and we still haven't replaced him.

On the other hand he's a grown man and can take responsibility for his actions on and off the pitch and his celebration will be beyond the pale for some people🤔
Herbie53
RS1978 wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 11:09

FFS!
Tbh I have no problem with May celebrating a goal against us - we don't pay his wages and Charlton do - and it's better than the "performative non-celebration" that players do against their former clubs. His 20 goals/season whilst he was here was a major factor in us staying in the league with one of the lowest budgets - and we still haven't replaced him.

On the other hand he's a grown man and can take responsibility for his actions on and off the pitch and his celebration will be beyond the pale for some people🤔
I have no problem with him celebrating either. He's moved on and so have we.
But getting himself booked for it is a bit bloody daft
longmover
Come on people (modern) professional players do not give a 5hit about any of the clubs they have/currently/will play for, lets not be naive now.
Ihearye
RS1978 wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 11:09

FFS!

He is history and the having looked everywhere, I am finding it very hard to find a feck to give about him