Charlton.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Is it a case of ‘go for broke’ winning is the only out come for any chance to play L1 soccer in 24/25.

What reaction will Alfie May receive pre-game and when he scores.

Our games in hand are incredibly important, the players must be reminded of this and that we are in a very difficult relegation battle. On yesterday performance, at times we lacked energy and the urgency of the fight.

I really don’t know what Keena does for the team after that substitute appearance yesterday.
asl
If one of our greatest ever players gets anything less than a decent reception, the fans of this club should hang their heads in shame.

He's bound to score...
Ihearye
asl wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 17:04 If one of our greatest ever players gets anything less than a decent reception, the fans of this club should hang their heads in shame.

He's bound to score...
after his scoring celebration, he can go and feck himself and I wouldn't be hanging my head in shame
Fuller
Malabus wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 16:41 Is it a case of ‘go for broke’ winning is the only out come for any chance to play L1 soccer in 24/25.

What reaction will Alfie May receive pre-game and when he scores.

Our games in hand are incredibly important, the players must be reminded of this and that we are in a very difficult relegation battle. On yesterday performance, at times we lacked energy and the urgency of the fight.

I really don’t know what Keena does for the team after that substitute appearance yesterday.
Trouble with Keena it’s exactly the same every game. Sorry to say. But wouldn’t be surprised if he started on Tuesday.
And if it wasn’t for Alfie May we probably wouldn’t be watching League One football for a third consecutive season, so no silly booing please.
1985CTFC
I wouldn't be surprised if Alfie doesn't start on Tuesday.
All the teams around us are in try not to lose mode. Charlton like Burton would probably be happy with a point away, especially after picking up points lately. Charlton if they lose will only be 1 point ahead of us but played 2 more.
Going to be a case of breaking them down and avoid a sucker punch. Charlton have got more attacking quality than Burton, but maybe not as defensively secure.
Someone in the team needs to get that goal, because I expect Charlton will get at least 1. Draw not ideal but don't lose.
If chasing the game ,wouldn't mind seeing Bradbury, Shepherd and Davies up for corners free kicks and throws. Test their at one time dodgy CB,s and at times iffy keeper. Presume Jones has tightened them up at the back, but need to put their defenders under pressure and sow some panic.

Like to see Matty spend a bit more time around the 6 yd box instead of Lloydy. He was drifting too deep I thought against Burton, probably to find space. With balls flashing across the box we need him their not on the edge of the box. Bit of goal hanging to save his legs.
Anteros
With upcoming fixtures away to Oxford, Barnsley and home to Peterborough, I would say we really need to win Tuesday. Otherwise we could get cut adrift by the end of the month, if results don't go our way.
Jerry St Clair
Ihearye wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 17:09
asl wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 17:04 If one of our greatest ever players gets anything less than a decent reception, the fans of this club should hang their heads in shame.

He's bound to score...
after his scoring celebration, he can go and feck himself and I wouldn't be hanging my head in shame
I do not understand this.

There are a lot of things to hate about modern football, but players performatively refusing to celebrate when scoring against former teams is right up there with the worst.

No problem with Alfie celebrating when he scores. Full knee slide in front of the Hazelwoods. Fill your boots son. You're a footballer, enjoy it while it lasts.
Jerry St Clair
Malabus wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 16:41 Is it a case of ‘go for broke’ winning is the only out come for any chance to play L1 soccer in 24/25.
I don't think a Darrell Clarke team is set up in any other way. The players may fail to implement the instructions, but I do not think he'll be saying anything other than to go hard at Charlton.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 21:06

He's bound to score...

There are a lot of things to hate about modern football, but players performatively refusing to celebrate when scoring against former teams is right up there with the worst.

No problem with Alfie celebrating when he scores. Full knee slide in front of the Hazelwoods. Fill your boots son. You're a footballer, enjoy it while it lasts.
Each to his own
1985CTFC
Anteros wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 20:02 With upcoming fixtures away to Oxford, Barnsley and home to Peterborough, I would say we really need to win Tuesday. Otherwise we could get cut adrift by the end of the month, if results don't go our way.
Oxford last 11 games only 12 points...nothing to be afraid there. Barnsley tough and Peterboro under the lights on a Tues anything is possible.
Jerry St Clair
Looks like Charlton will be bringing around 5-600. Definitely not quite the big game atmosphere of Sunderland or Sheff Weds with 3x as many away fans, but still a biggie nevertheless.
everyman
I wish we had a midfield with some physicality and energy to compete for 90 mins. We don`t have the running ball carrying type in the squad, and the only one who had the ablity to do the ratting was Curtis Thompson who`s now at Grimsby.I like Bondsy but he gets caught in possession and doesn`t tackle well enough.
HamTown
everyman wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 11:03 I wish we had a midfield with some physicality and energy to compete for 90 mins. We don`t have the running ball carrying type in the squad, and the only one who had the ablity to do the ratting was Curtis Thompson who`s now at Grimsby.I like Bondsy but he gets caught in possession and doesn`t tackle well enough.
He might not be as strong or aggressive as Thompson but Kinsella has more energy than any other midfielder we've had in a long time except Broom
paperboy
Northampton view on Charlton now under the leadership of Nathan Jones.
Let's hope he doesn't end up Supreme tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/RichCawleySLP/statu ... RNu4g&s=19
Warwickshire Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 21:32
Anteros wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 20:02 With upcoming fixtures away to Oxford, Barnsley and home to Peterborough, I would say we really need to win Tuesday. Otherwise we could get cut adrift by the end of the month, if results don't go our way.
Oxford last 11 games only 12 points...nothing to be afraid there. Barnsley tough and Peterboro under the lights on a Tues anything is possible.
Are you assuming the Peterborough game will be called off for International call ups and rearranged for a Tuesday? If so, I'm hoping you are right as I cannot make the Sat 23rd date!
Jerry St Clair
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 13:57
Are you assuming the Peterborough game will be called off for International call ups and rearranged for a Tuesday? If so, I'm hoping you are right as I cannot make the Sat 23rd date!
Ditto. A rearrangement would be most welcome for my personal circumstances.
1985CTFC
Think I heard it mentioned somewhere, pod cast or match commentary or some other place which I can't remember. I got my ticket in early as well.
Fuller
1985CTFC wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 16:38

Think I heard it mentioned somewhere, pod cast or match commentary or some other place which I can't remember. I got my ticket in early as well.
My post on The Nest from the 1st January probably.

“Just a further “heads up.” Peterborough home on Saturday 23rd March is on international weekend so a chance that game might be called off and rescheduled too.”
1985CTFC
Looking at the Charlton forum it appears their style of play has changed since Appleton. Seem to have adopted the DC early style of high energy, in your face , high physicality football. Guess when you need to battle relegation that's the way to get yourself out of trouble. Pretty sideways football you save for another time.
Going to be a bit of a ding dong battle, especially in midfield I reckon. Can we match their new found energy and our defenders stand up to the long ball and a bit of quality their forward line possess.
Game of similar styles?
1985CTFC
Charlton fans seem to make a big play about Chukwuemeka Ademola Amachi "Chuks" Aneke or better known as Chuks Aneke. Seems that keeping him fit will keep them up. Can't say I particularly remember seeing him play. Although he has played for Crewe, MK Dons and Charlton. 6ft3 " and very physical so wiki says. Rested against Northampton so likely to play at some time against us. Bradders to start?
Shade
Chuks Aneke must have played against us half a dozen times at least over the years for Crewe and maybe MK. It's not a name you don't remember from commentary.

Edit: he's only played against us 4 times apparently, for MK and Charlton. He must have joined Crewe after they went up at our expense in 2012. However, he's score 3 goals against us in the those 4 appearances. With him and May, they're guaranteed at least 2 goals tomorrow, then.

I really want us to win tomorrow, just because Nathan Jones, let alone the fact we need the 3 points. Hopefully we beat them and then the little tosser goes on another rant about how horrible Whaddon Road is.
1985CTFC
Looking at their middle 5 for the last few games they are all quite young except Camara who is ancient at 27. So young legs v our experienced middle 5. Ferry is our youngster. Going to be an interesting match up. Reports indicate they come on strong in the later stages. Hope DC has a cunning plan.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 18:33 Chuks Aneke must have played against us half a dozen times at least over the years for Crewe and maybe MK. It's not a name you don't remember from commentary.

Edit: he's only played against us 4 times apparently, for MK and Charlton. He must have joined Crewe after they went up at our expense in 2012. However, he's score 3 goals against us in the those 4 appearances. With him and May, they're guaranteed at least 2 goals tomorrow, then.

I really want us to win tomorrow, just because Nathan Jones, let alone the fact we need the 3 points. Hopefully we beat them and then the little tosser goes on another rant about how horrible Whaddon Road is.
Likely to bully us when he is on? Hence my thinking we go Davies , Bradbury and Shepherd. Also for our set pieces we could cause some probs with those 3. Fight fire with fire.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 18:33 Chuks Aneke must have played against us half a dozen times at least over the years for Crewe and maybe MK. It's not a name you don't remember from commentary.

As chucks is a bit injury prone a nice welcome to Whaddon Road tackle from Bradbury would be a welcome sight. Seems recently they are tending to chalk up more fouls than the opposition under Jones. So they can't complain.
1985CTFC
Kanu is their second top scorer with only 5 goals this season so far. Not great.
Alfies goals keeping them from relegation. Got to keep him quiet if and when he is on. Bonds or Kinsella to mark him.

Interestingly our team when we played them was a fair bit different to now. Not that strong in midfield.
1SouthwoodBooked at 69mins
5BevanBooked at 85mins
33Davies
6FreestoneSubstituted forButler-Oyedejiat 88'minutes
2LongBooked at 83minsSubstituted forWilliamsat 87'minutes
18ChapmanBooked at 45minsSubstituted forPeupionat 88'minutes
19Lloyd
8Sercombe
15FerryBooked at 86mins
10KeenaSubstituted forHammondat 45'minutes
9GoodwinBooked at 55mins
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 21:06

He's bound to score...

if only DC was such an enlightened thinker
Malabus
Can see Ben Williams (or Jordan Thomas) making a start for this game. Ferry took a knock on Saturday. We usually take a cautious approach.
1985CTFC
Malabus wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 20:45 Can see Ben Williams (or Jordan Thomas) making a start for this game. Ferry took a knock on Saturday. We usually take a cautious approach.
How about a monster back 5 if Ferry injured. Long, Davies, Bradbury, Shepherd and Freestone at Left back to take Alfie out.
RS1978
Malabus wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 20:45 Can see Ben Williams (or Jordan Thomas) making a start for this game. Ferry took a knock on Saturday. We usually take a cautious approach.
Surely after Thomas's cameo last match he has to start?
1985CTFC
RS1978 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 21:18
Surely after Thomas's cameo last match he has to start?
Problem with our formation is where does he play. left of midfield and leave out Sercombe or Bonds leaving Pett and Kinsella to do all the running and closing down. Or play up top with one of the others, or take Ferrys place where he is not a natural left wing back and still new to the senior game.
At the moment it just seems he is to be used when we go to a back 4 and give him licence up front or between midfield and high up on the left.
Personally I think he would be a waste deep at wing back and unsure of his defensive quality at the moment.
Bit of a dilemma me thinks.

Think in this game they will be trying to physically bully us if the reports from their last 4 games are correct. Maybe best to see how things go and if needed bring him on later and see how he does. Maybe with his skill he can get in the box and get chopped down!
RS1978
I think that tomorrow's match is a test of DC's man management skills - he's indicated that the way we played vs. Wycombe and Burton wasn't what he wanted. Surely he needs to put his arm around guys that have previously played well at a higher level (Nuttall/Harrop) or are low on confidence wrt goals (Lloyd/Keena) as we were sorely lacking a spark - and he needs to get them firing - which could be the difference between staying up and going down.

We also need Plans B, C and D as it looked as if Plan A wasn't working - the good thing is that Darrell strikes me as a proactive manager - and I still believe that he'll show us how good he is🤞
1985CTFC
RS1978 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 21:41 I think that tomorrow's match is a test of DC's man management skills - he's indicated that the way we played vs. Wycombe and Burton wasn't what he wanted. Surely he needs to put his arm around guys that have previously played well at a higher level (Nuttall/Harrop) or are low on confidence wrt goals (Lloyd/Keena) as we were sorely lacking a spark - and he needs to get them firing - which could be the difference between staying up and going down.

We also need Plans B, C and D as it looked as if Plan A wasn't working - the good thing is that Darrell strikes me as a proactive manager - and I still believe that he'll show us how good he is🤞
Yep hope his experience comes to the fore. Charlton manager N Jones also no mug. Maybe a stalemate?
We really need to be fired up from minute 1 and knock them out their stride. But no doubt they will have done their homework on us. This is when players like Matty hopefully show their years of experience on the pitch and stick that ball in the net and get the crowd going. Many of their players are young, more so than us now, so maybe that will count in our favour with the pressure ratching up on both teams now. Hope so.

Lets make our experience count.
1985CTFC
Charlton foul count over last 4 matches

Northhampton 15
Derby 15
Portsmouth 11
Bolton 18

I make that 59 opportunities to wallop that ball in to their penalty area to cause havoc. Obviously we wont get 59 but you get my drift. Average of 15 would give us some scope to cause damage with our big men going up.
Southwood better beware Alfie lobbing him from halfway line!!
Shade
We were given a few free kicks on Saturday so I doubt we'll be awarded more than 3 tonight.
everyman
Shade wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 10:12 We were given a few free kicks on Saturday so I doubt we'll be awarded more than 3 tonight.
Our free-kicks haven`t been very good all season but recently corners have improved,if only we had a Will Boyle.