Information for fans travelling to Oxford on Saturday

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

hookyrobin
The Robins Trust have published the latest information for fans travelling to Oxford on Saturday:

https://www.robinstrust.org/posts/match ... arch-2024/

Thanks,

Jaimie
Robins Trust
https://www.robinstrust.org/join/
Garby74
.....Dont
Broadway Brian
Garby74 wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 23:15.....Dont
That’s the spirit lad. Turn your back on your team in the dogfight.
Garby74
I stayed and clapped them off last night.
And at Wycome for my sins!

I can't make Saturday...family 50th.

I'll admit I'm truly and utterly deflated.
asl
I have a free weekend so am planning to make the trip. Fortunately, the wife being away means I'm not in a rush to get home...maybe the rugby will be on, somewhere on that estate while the traffic dies down...
Broadway Brian
Garby74 wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 07:26 I stayed and clapped them off last night.
And at Wycome for my sins!

I can't make Saturday...family 50th.

I'll admit I'm truly and utterly deflated.
Yep, a real kick in the knackers last night. I’m with you there, but we have to keep going. Us and the players.

It feels like they’re running out of gas and ideas, but we’re still in the mix.
asl
Hmm... Looking at the estate, I find it hard to believe anywhere will be showing the egg-chasing so I might have talked myself out of going. Not sure I want to sit and watch it on my phone in the car-park. It'll be full of despair, I'm sure - and I mean both the footy and the rugby - with the added distraction of a stream of 'amusing' text messages from the in-laws.
Broadway Brian
There’s a very good sports bar in the complex opposite. Or there was.

Whether it’ll show the rugby, I know not.
Broadway Brian
Maybe Ireland spanking England in the rugby will inspire young Aidan Keena…

Anyone have any other straws I can clutch at?
Jerry St Clair
Oxford should be a great away trip. A fantastic city, great pubs.

But it isn’t. The ground might as well be in Didcot and everything about it, the travel, the lack of pubs, the open end, is rubbish.
robinsrule
Oxford is rubbish but our away following there is even worse. Orient took about 1500 there recently and it’s a hell of a lot further for them than it is for us. In fact I was in Paddington with some Orient fans and it was £65 for a return train ticket - scandalous!! All we have to do is jump in our car for an hour. I know our chances of winning are slim to none but the team need us now more than ever.
Ihearye
robinsrule wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 17:11 Oxford is rubbish but our away following there is even worse. Orient took about 1500 there recently and it’s a hell of a lot further for them than it is for us. In fact I was in Paddington with some Orient fans and it was £65 for a return train ticket - scandalous!! All we have to do is jump in our car for an hour. I know our chances of winning are slim to none but the team need us now more than ever.
An hour drive and 3 hours in a car park, no thanks
Shade
Oxford council has just green lit their new stadium, I believe (I only saw a headline), so hopefully a much more pleasant away day in several years time.
ctfc-fan
How is it being funded?
CTFC.Harry
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 12:02 Oxford council has just green lit their new stadium, I believe (I only saw a headline), so hopefully a much more pleasant away day in several years time.
Still in the middle of nowhere though! Plan is for it to be next to Oxford Parkway which might at least make transport easier for locals and away supporters. Can’t imagine the match day experience will be any better though, especially as away fans.
Ihearye
CTFC.Harry wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 01:48
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 12:02 Oxford council has just green lit their new stadium, I believe (I only saw a headline), so hopefully a much more pleasant away day in several years time.
Still in the middle of nowhere though! Plan is for it to be next to Oxford Parkway which might at least make transport easier for locals and away supporters. Can’t imagine the match day experience will be any better though, especially as away fans.
Still no direct train route, sadly. Unless you pop up to Worcester Parkway
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 13:44 How is it being funded?
Looks like it will mainly be relying on institutional finance, debt and private investment alongside any grants.

“A budget north of £100 million has been set for the construction of the proposed stadium. Asked how the ground could be funded, Ferguson said: “We’ve got to have a funding plan that goes along with it, similar to any other large-scale construction project. There will be a mix of debt, equity, naming rights, and some grant applications possibly, but that still is to take shape.”

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/2416 ... e-funding/#

You can see here it’s more than just a stadium, it’s a whole public infrastructure development. The fact massive global infrastructure companies like Mott Macdonald are involved in the project team shows the scale of the development (as does the £100m cost).

https://oufcstadium.co.uk/wp-content/up ... ited-3.pdf

Being based by Oxford Parkway is interesting.
This will probably be a catalyst for a lot of transport oriented development (TOD as it’s known in the industry) of high density housing and services. The housing shortage in Oxford is one of the most chronic, and Parkway is on the planned East-West Rail line to Milton Keynes and Cambridge, the arc where the majority of UK population and economic growth is going to be
(alongside London). I suspect institutional investors will be all over this to get returns from the wider development over the next 5-10 years.

Not really comparable to trying to squeeze a new stand into a car park in Whaddon. It’s more comparable to the privately funded property and public realm developments happening around Elizabeth Line in London.

Similar to Gloucestershire County Cricket’s plans to move to a new build site in South Glos near new train stations, which will no doubt be an area where TOD happens.
Broadway Brian
Anyone ever parked nearby and walked, say Blackbird Leys.

Now I know if its reputation from years gone by, but a local has suggested that it is now fine.
Jerry St Clair
No, but I have parked on the other side near Sandford on Thames, loads of parking on the industrial estates off the dual carriageway and easier access to the A34 (if that’s the way you’re going).
Ihearye
Don't forget your 5p for the toll bridge
Broadway Brian
Cheers fellas. Ended up on the Science Park.

UTR
Jerry St Clair
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 13:37 Cheers fellas. Ended up on the Science Park.

UTR
You'll be pleased about that decision when you see the traffic chaos around the ground at full time (assuming you haven't left early!).
Ihearye
If only they had listened
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 19:13
If only they had listened
To be fair the 'mental' when Ferry scored was one of the best in ages but yes on the whole wish I had listened!
paperboy
I know that most teams have prolonged celebrations when they score, but can it be counter productive as perhaps it was today as it gave Oxford time to gather their thoughts.
Sometimes maybe it's better to get on with it whilst the opposition is still shell shocked.