Your pre match routine

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Anteros
What is your pre match routine for home games?
Pubs, cafes, restaurants?
I have made a effort to go the nest bar but it's very limited seating.
Parklands is ok but they serve in plastic glasses and I'm sure they charge you more than the locals.
I thought the Kemble was 'ok' but it was the Derby game so very busy.
Recently I have been going to Montpellier and getting a taxi to the ground.
Any other suggestions?
Fuller
Leave my house 14.35. Shanks’ pony. Arrive at WR 14.58.
Ihearye
Fuller wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 20:02 Leave my house 14.35. Shanks’ pony. Arrive at WR 14.58.
much the same. Leave around 2.40 and I fear much to the chagrin of those around me, arrive in my seat more or less as the teams come out
Jerry St Clair
Fuller wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 20:02 Leave my house 14.35. Shanks’ pony. Arrive at WR 14.58.
Leave house at 13.45. Shank's pony. Arrive in the CF /PRE bar at 14.15.

The bars, particularly the PRE, are way better this season. Very happy to have a couple of pints of Deya,

The one thing I find very odd is the lack of the live lunchtime football on TVs by the bars. This would, 100%, get people in earlier, drinking/eating more, spending more money. Often the screens in the CF are just switched off. Maddening.
asl
My pre-match routine mostly involves caffeine and ibuprofen, these days. Oh...hang on...you mean for going to the football? Sorry, that was my badminton match routine.

Yea, leave house, drive 20-odd miles to Cheltenham, park, walk in just before kick-off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Usually staying with family on a match weekend.

Goes one of three ways:
1. Walk to the ground from their house (about 40 mins) and use the time to catch up on the Robins Report podcast if I haven’t heard it yet. Get a Fanta from the canteen, nip to the loo, and in my seat for 14:45.
2. Lunch with family somewhere which usually means getting dropped off at the footy about 14:45, get a Fanta and nip to the loo.
3. Meet a friend for lunch or coffee or drink or milling around the the car park pre-match and in situ for 14:45, via nipping to the loo and maybe a Fanta.
Swiss-Robin
Since I can no longer afford to live in the UK having been priced-out of my own country (being made both homeless and unemployed in the process) many years ago: I don't have one. Just follow the games online, both in here and on the BBC. It's all I can do now. 😔
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 22:07
Leave house at 13.45. Shank's pony. Arrive in the CF /PRE bar at 14.15.

The bars, particularly the PRE, are way better this season. Very happy to have a couple of pints of Deya,

The one thing I find very odd is the lack of the live lunchtime football on TVs by the bars. This would, 100%, get people in earlier, drinking/eating more, spending more money. Often the screens in the CF are just switched off. Maddening.
Would love a couple of pints of Deya before kick off. Sadly my prostate may not be so keen :) Would spend more time going up and down the steps than watching the match
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 03:14 Since I can no longer afford to live in the UK having been priced-out of my own country (being made both homeless and unemployed in the process) many years ago: I don't have one. Just follow the games online, both in here and on the BBC. It's all I can do now. 😔
genuine question and making presumption based on your name. Could you therefore not have based yourself in a 'cheaper' part of the world? How did you end up making the Swiss decision? That is if you want to share
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 23:23 Usually staying with family on a match weekend.

Goes one of three ways:
1. Walk to the ground from their house (about 40 mins) and use the time to catch up on the Robins Report podcast if I haven’t heard it yet. Get a Fanta from the canteen, nip to the loo, and in my seat for 14:45.
2. Lunch with family somewhere which usually means getting dropped off at the footy about 14:45, get a Fanta and nip to the loo.
3. Meet a friend for lunch or coffee or drink or milling around the the car park pre-match and in situ for 14:45, via nipping to the loo and maybe a Fanta.
The Fanta sales must pray it is not option 3 :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 06:24
Swiss-Robin wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 03:14 Since I can no longer afford to live in the UK having been priced-out of my own country (being made both homeless and unemployed in the process) many years ago: I don't have one. Just follow the games online, both in here and on the BBC. It's all I can do now. 😔
genuine question and making presumption based on your name. Could you therefore not have based yourself in a 'cheaper' part of the world? How did you end up making the Swiss decision? That is if you want to share
Not to digress the thread further, there’s a ‘yes and no’ element to your point.

The big one is housing costs and availability. A friend moved back to Bristol a year ago after a few years in Zurich (same employer).

Things were expensive for us, comparatively, when visiting but not to them because their pay similarly higher.

But they had a lovely modern open plan two bedroom apartment, with underfloor heating a few mins walk from a frequent fast train into the city centre, which was affordable.

In Bristol the only place they could find to rent which was affordable was a grim old apartment in a converted house with skanky neighbours. With two house purchases falling through they have moved in with a partner about year before they would normally think of doing so whilst still property hunting.

I think they had a £40k salary in the UK when they moved out five years ago which changed to the equivalent of £80k in Switzerland. The problem with the UK is our wages and commensurate to the cost of food and beer etc, but our house rental prices require Swiss incomes to be affordable.
Si Robin
I usually leave mine around 1:15, pick my uncle up around 1:30 and am in the Parklands for between 1:45 and 2:00. Then have a drink in there before heading into the ground around 2:50/2:55.

I believe Parklands do have member and non-member prices, but don't quote me on that one.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 07:55
Ihearye wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 06:24
Not to digress the thread further, there’s a ‘yes and no’ element to your point.

The big one is housing costs and availability. A friend moved back to Bristol a year ago after a few years in Zurich (same employer).

Things were expensive for us, comparatively, when visiting but not to them because their pay similarly higher.

But they had a lovely modern open plan two bedroom apartment, with underfloor heating a few mins walk from a frequent fast train into the city centre, which was affordable.

In Bristol the only place they could find to rent which was affordable was a grim old apartment in a converted house with skanky neighbours. With two house purchases falling through they have moved in with a partner about year before they would normally think of doing so whilst still property hunting.

I think they had a £40k salary in the UK when they moved out five years ago which changed to the equivalent of £80k in Switzerland. The problem with the UK is our wages and commensurate to the cost of food and beer etc, but our house rental prices require Swiss incomes to be affordable.
Makes sense. Just would never have had it near my list of affordable places to live. However as you say, affordable if employed there as opposed to kicking back
Last edited by Ihearye on 08 Mar 2024, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
These days, it's merely get to the ground early enough to find somewhere to park, as it's a lot busier around the ground since all the new parking permit/parking charges closer to town. I like to arrive around 2:30 and watch the warm ups, see who has got their shooting boots on. Not that I ever recall seeing one of our players smashing everything home during the warm up and then doing the same in the game.

Back in the old days when me and 'my boys' were young, it would be meet up at a pub in town, usually the Restoration, have a pint or two (no more...), then walk up for about half 2. Maybe when we're all 'old boys' and their kids have grown up, we can try it again one day :lol:
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 11:59 These days, it's merely get to the ground early enough to find somewhere to park, as it's a lot busier around the ground since all the new parking permit/parking charges closer to town.
Since I started watching Cheltenham in 2010, I have never driven to a game. I've always, walked, bus or cycled. On Tuesday night, for boring family reasons, I had to drive. Oh my days, never again. Drove round and round aimlessly looking for parking, not helped by my complete lack of experience or local parking knowledge. Eventually found a space in Mendip Drive (?) and walked into the ground just as Charlton scored their first.
Si Robin
Tuesday was the worst I've seen it in a while. Saturday's are usually ok though.
PittvillePundit
Watch horse racing (my other love) until 2.40. Leave my flat in Pittville Crescent Lane at 2.40, take seat in CF at 2.52

Sort of related - I usually exit via the PR terrace through the main car park - however that route was blocked off on Saturday (even the stewards had no idea why). Anyone know if this is going to be the new norm? Hope not.
plymrob
Very old days... with brother and his mates being established at WR... it was the 'Jolly Brewmaster' and then the 'Paddock' - and for a time 'free parking at Queen's Home Nursing Home (mum worked there). Very happily, I did the 'Brew' again for starters - with my son - again this year. 'Brew' changed a bit, but good ale choice.
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 13:06
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 11:59 These days, it's merely get to the ground early enough to find somewhere to park, as it's a lot busier around the ground since all the new parking permit/parking charges closer to town.
Since I started watching Cheltenham in 2010, I have never driven to a game. I've always, walked, bus or cycled. On Tuesday night, for boring family reasons, I had to drive. Oh my days, never again. Drove round and round aimlessly looking for parking, not helped by my complete lack of experience or local parking knowledge. Eventually found a space in Mendip Drive (?) and walked into the ground just as Charlton scored their first.
I usually park around that area and it's worse, Saturday's or Tuesday's, this season than it's ever been. It's always hard to find somewhere when there's a proper big crowd (for us), but this season there have been far fewer available spots with cars parked on pavements all over the place. A few times I've had to drive round and round and ended up searching all around Pittville one Tuesday night, eventually finding one slot in Pittville Park that someone had just pulled out of.
Shade
PittvillePundit wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 15:02 Watch horse racing (my other love) until 2.40. Leave my flat in Pittville Crescent Lane at 2.40, take seat in CF at 2.52

Sort of related - I usually exit via the PR terrace through the main car park - however that route was blocked off on Saturday (even the stewards had no idea why). Anyone know if this is going to be the new norm? Hope not.
I usually exit via the end of the CF stand rather than through it. When I was leaving on Tuesday, there was a hold up, because the gate into the PR terrace was closed and the stewards seemed to be on their walkie talkies, asking if they were allowed to open it to let people through. Eventually they got the ok and opened it and normal service resumed. Not sure if it's new stewards? I didn't think at the time to see if it was the usual faces or not.
PittvillePundit
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 17:35
PittvillePundit wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 15:02 Watch horse racing (my other love) until 2.40. Leave my flat in Pittville Crescent Lane at 2.40, take seat in CF at 2.52

I usually exit via the end of the CF stand rather than through it. When I was leaving on Tuesday, there was a hold up, because the gate into the PR terrace was closed and the stewards seemed to be on their walkie talkies, asking if they were allowed to open it to let people through. Eventually they got the ok and opened it and normal service resumed. Not sure if it's new stewards? I didn't think at the time to see if it was the usual faces or not.
Yes, it was Tuesday rather than Saturday. Maybe I got there earlier than you Shade as they weren't letting anyone through so I returned the long way round
Shade
PittvillePundit wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 18:19
Shade wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 17:35

Yes, it was Tuesday rather than Saturday. Maybe I got there earlier than you Shade as they weren't letting anyone through so I returned the long way round
Yeah I was among the last out, so it wasn't used by many when they finally opened it.
Jerry St Clair
Speaking of that consistent application of rules by stewards, at some games it’s perfectly fine to take beer from the sports bar to the concourse, at others there’s a steward stationed on the door rigorously enforcing the rule.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 22:14 Speaking of that consistent application of rules by stewards, at some games it’s perfectly fine to take beer from the sports bar to the concourse, at others there’s a steward stationed on the door rigorously enforcing the rule.
Does it depend on whether the away fans have half the concourse?

When home fans have the whole concourse there is the Iglu lager and cider draught bar at the kiosk by block 7. When buying there then the concourse is the only option and there’s an area where one can imbibe out of view of the pitch. Maybe on those days you are allowed out of the sports bar to go and join drinkers at the other end.

Whereas when that half of the concourse is shuttered off to home fans, there’s nowhere to go to when leaving the sports bar so maybe it’s those games when stewards stop you leaving.

Obviously if we scrapped the policy of giving away fans that end of the concourse this would never be an issue.
Jerry St Clair
I don’t think away fans occupancy has anything to do with it. For Reading I walked out of the Sports bar with a pint, passed stewards with no problems. Wycombe I was stopped. Port Vale I was fine. For Burton I was stopped. Seems random.