Barnsley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Assume Shepherd won't be allowed to play against his parent club?

Guess we'll hear later in the week but, assuming he isn't and Freestone is still out, it's Smith, Davies, Bradbury starting. Any other options?
Warwickshire Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 21:15 Assume Shepherd won't be allowed to play against his parent club?

Guess we'll hear later in the week but, assuming he isn't and Freestone is still out, it's Smith, Davies, Bradbury starting. Any other options?
Go to a back 4 and play a 4-2-3-1?
CTFCfan99
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 21:40
Jerry St Clair wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 21:15 Assume Shepherd won't be allowed to play against his parent club?

I would do this - Thomas surely has to start and having him at WB would be a waste.

Southwood
Long Davies Bradbury Ferry
Pett Kinsella
Thomas Sercombe Harrop
Lloyd
Malabus
CTFCfan99 wrote:

I would do this - Thomas surely has to start and having him at WB would be a waste.

Southwood
Pett Kinsella
Thomas Sercombe Harrop
Lloyd
One up front, never works for us.
Jerry St Clair
Malabus wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 00:57
By accounts we effectively had one up front yesterday.
Warwickshire Robin
Malabus wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 00:57
CTFCfan99 wrote:

Southwood
Pett Kinsella
Thomas Sercombe Harrop
Lloyd
Yeah I'm not much of a fan of one up front either but I think the position we find ourselves in squad wise we have to get our best players on the pitch and midfield is where we have the most depth, up front not so much.
1985CTFC
Where as I would like us to try something different, Barnsley have 2 quickish strikers, against our 2 CB's if we go to a back 4. But I agree we do have an OK midfield selection. The last few games the issue has been letting in late goals. Losing us maybe 3 points. Draws in to losses. Not sure a different formation would cure that at the moment.
The dilemma when at the bottom is if you are 0-0 at 60 mins do you go for it or stick. Are we at the stage now to say what the heck we are at Barnsley and its 0-0 and 30 mins to play lets go for the win. Barnsley would probably pick us off.

Personally save any changes only if we need to chase the game at Barnsley, which worked against Charlton and Oxford. We equalised but failed to hang on.
After Barnsley we go s#!t or bust against teams around us and mid table until season end.
My cunning plan to go no backup keeper and stick an extra outfielder on the bench even Tom King more likely to score than a 2nd keeper, is starting to look a goer !!!!! Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Some interesting games on Tuesday for our rivals around us.