The rest of the season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

How do we want to see out the rest of the season?

Poll ended at 18 Mar 2024, 09:38

Do everything to stay in league one
89%
Plan properly for league 2 (considering the state of previous summers)
11%

Total votes: 9
Robin
paperboy wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 12:25 Sorry Si ,but I respectfully question what you say.
Finding 21k shouldn't be beyond a National League club let alone a L1 club, so to say we might become insolvent is scaremongering.
Whether there's an oven ready option out there who knows, but for heavens sake we need to try.

If we max out the credit card so be it.
If it doesn't work out do remember that in L2 next season I think we will receive a million pounds in solidarity ( parachute payments) from the EFL and Prem League apparently.
It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but likely any free agent would want a contract until June I would imagine so it might cost us £50k whereas relegation might cost us £500k. Sounds simple but how many free agent strikers are there left at this point of the season and how many weeks would it take to get them up to speed...
Fuller
Nuttall was too big a risk for a team in our position. With Goodwin going and Street injured I’m still very surprised we didn’t sign another target man first in the window, and Nuttall as a final backup.
asl
Lots of criticism for Nuttall - but Taylor was probably an even bigger risk: a player who couldn't get into the starting XI of the team at the foot of the EFL. To say nothing of the length of his contract.

Some punts work, some don't - that's why they're punts, in the first place.
plymrob
People have said it... Free agents not wanted by others so why by us? It is the way it is. For me, we still have a chance, for a few more games at least. May - agreed out and had to go. Goodwin - a late comer with success - and no trees pulled-up since our record transfer income.

Street and Taylor injured - these are real issues. Lloyd and Keena not scoring - the same.

We may go down. We could still stay-up. We are Cheltenham Town. Please get real.
Shade
Robin wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 16:55 What does plan properly for league two even mean? Are we talking about the on field side of the club or commercial revenue (or lack of)...
I assume it means start looking for League 2 players now for next season and trying to get in ahead of others...
A bit of a risk and a waste of time if we do actually manage to stay in League 1.
asl
In order to get promoted back to L1, I'm not sure L2 players are what we need.
plymrob
I've not yet written off staying up. That said. League One, League Two players, and a surprise or too. Then the key factor. A good manager - who seems to give a toss. We have that proven.

We can still do it. I'll leave it that.
Shade
I've not completely written us off...but 5 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats from the last 10 games doesn't look very realistic when we've just lost 3 and drawn 2 of the last 5, haven't looked very good in any of them, and injuries aren't helping.

All 4 relegation spots look done and dusted already, to be honest.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If the match fit league one striker capable of scoring 5 or 6 match winning goals in 9 games does just happen to be out there raring to go for £2-3k a game I expect we are trying to tie him down. I also expect Burton, Cambridge, Reading, Shrewsbury, Exeter and Wycombe are as well and may offer £3-4k.

Mansfield, Stockport, Wrexham and MK may even offer £4-5k.
Robin
Connor Wickham was probably the only tried and tested league one footballer that was out there and given he has gone to Charlton (who tripled Alfie's wages) I doubt he was anywhere near our wage structure. Could we try again for Joe Doodoo though?

RCS - I don't believe teams like Shrewsbury or Cambridge are paying anyone £4k a week. Both wage bills are towards the bottom of the league and probably not too much bigger than ours so maybe £3k tops I would think but I doubt we offer that to anyone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 07:28 Connor Wickham was probably the only tried and tested league one footballer that was out there and given he has gone to Charlton (who tripled Alfie's wages) I doubt he was anywhere near our wage structure. Could we try again for Joe Doodoo though?

RCS - I don't believe teams like Shrewsbury or Cambridge are paying anyone £4k a week. Both wage bills are towards the bottom of the league and probably not too much bigger than ours so maybe £3k tops I would think but I doubt we offer that to anyone.
I did say £3k-4k