Quelle Surprise

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Jerry St Clair
Staggering. With an independent regulator incoming, the Premier League still refuses to even pretend it cares about anything other than its own grotesque wealth. You'd think they'd be trying show at least a little altruism to the EFL.
Red Duke
I blame the increase of American ownership of PL clubs and the desire to control the sport like American football. They prefer the insular selfish approach to sport, hence the lack of interest in the EFL. I am sure that if they had their way, they would do away with promotion and relegation.
longmover
the prem and all its ilk are soo far removed from anything outside of its bubble its just unhinged, one thing I have noticed is prem managers (consistently) having to ask the crowd of said team to play their part, can you imagine Wenger having to make that comment to arsenal fans 20 years ago?

The prem is just diluting itself to American levels of crowd participation all for $$
Last edited by longmover on 13 Mar 2024, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
PCrobin
Yep in Manchester and London prem games I reckon half the stadium is full of tourists just having a day out. They're the only ones prepared to shell out the obscene ticket prices!
Robin
PCrobin wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 09:34 Yep in Manchester and London prem games I reckon half the stadium is full of tourists just having a day out. They're the only ones prepared to shell out the obscene ticket prices!
I went to Anffield a few years ago and it was exactly the same thousands of tourists taking photos with big selfie sticks. Very surreal atmosphere around the ground. Most of the infamous big six now regularly rely upon day trippers to fill their stadium and buy merchandise.
longmover
Robin wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 09:41
PCrobin wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 09:34 Yep in Manchester and London prem games I reckon half the stadium is full of tourists just having a day out. They're the only ones prepared to shell out the obscene ticket prices!
I went to Anffield a few years ago and it was exactly the same thousands of tourists taking photos with big selfie sticks. Very surreal atmosphere around the ground. Most of the infamous big six now regularly rely upon day trippers to fill their stadium and buy merchandise.
what the owners always wanted
Jim
Ashamed to see the Villa are one of the 10, we were in the EFL only a few seasons ago! I won't pretend I'm not enjoying seeing Villa in the top 5 and playing well (most of the time) but I feel increasingly removed from the club I grew up supporting and watching.

One of the main reasons I'm now a CTFC season ticket holder, I just find myself losing interest in the Premier League.
PCrobin
Yep me too. When I was a teenager in the 80s I used to go to West Ham with my Dad, until I was in my twenties and the Premier League started up. Until then they were still a proper community club.

When I moved to Cheltenham and started watching the Robins I realised that's what I'd been missing and I don't give a **** about the Prem these days..
longmover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68551806

bit ironic coming from the man that nearly ended Leeds, yes the 20 in the prem are hording the wealth but there needs to be responsibility and sustainability coming from those clubs outside of the prem, this isn't all the premier leagues fault.
Shade
Can't take anything he says seriously after he nearly gambled Leeds into oblivion, even if what he says is mostly right.