Barnsley v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 17:14 We basically have 4 games we should be looking at winning and points from the others are bonuses. Hopefully Fleetwood will ease off and that will be enough for us to get above Cambridge (and Burton)
We have to beat Exeter, Carlisle and Rovers at home, and at least one of Burton or Fleetwood away. The way Burton and Cambridge are going, 4 wins and a couple of draws could be enough.
Nesty
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REFEREES....................................... IF WE CANT HAVE PERFECTION .............................. CAN WE PLEASE HAVR SOME CONSISTENCY
Jerry St Clair
Make no mistake, that is a brilliant result. Barnsley have scored 11 goals in their last 4 games (and, admittedly, conceded a tonne too). But I will take that.
1985CTFC
We still have this continuing issue of strikers not scoring. Next game at Fleetwood we can't keep relying on the defence to get the points needed to stay up. Whilst I appreciate the effort and maybe a little bit of bad luck today for them, it has to change. Somehow.
Can't keep saying hard luck after each game gets ticked off.
Just hope Fleetwood is a turning point. They are on a reasonable run.

Don't want to put a downer on a fantastic point today, but strikers are paid to score goals. We have all been patient with them and hope they come good but we have been saying that from the New Year and before and it is just not happening how ever close they get.
The answer? Wish I new. 10 days on the training ground I guess
The way it is going 9 x 0-0 might be enough, although wouldn't risk it.

So frustrating and slightly weird they can't score. Maybe try a hypnotist? :shock:
CTFCfan99
1985CTFC wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 19:54 We still have this continuing issue of strikers not scoring. Next game at Fleetwood we can't keep relying on the defence to get the points needed to stay up. Whilst I appreciate the effort and maybe a little bit of bad luck today for them, it has to change. Somehow.

Don't want to put a downer on a fantastic point today, but strikers are paid to score goals. We have all been patient with them and hope they come good but we have been saying that from the New Year and before and it is just not happening how ever close they get.

So frustrating and slightly weird they can't score. Maybe try a hypnotist? :shock:
How much service do they get though? Lloydy has missed a few good chances here and there but it's not as if we're creating loads and the strikers are missing them. Keena had a few good efforts today but you wouldn't call any of them more than half chances.
1985CTFC
CTFCfan99 wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 20:17
1985CTFC wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 19:54 We still have this continuing issue of strikers not scoring. Next game at Fleetwood we can't keep relying on the defence to get the points needed to stay up. Whilst I appreciate the effort and maybe a little bit of bad luck today for them, it has to change. Somehow.

How much service do they get though? Lloydy has missed a few good chances here and there but it's not as if we're creating loads and the strikers are missing them. Keena had a few good efforts today but you wouldn't call any of them more than half chances.
Trouble is we have been saying this since Wade was here about Keena and Lloyd. 2 goals all season. It is weird that they can't score after all this time. Matty comes in and scores first game. I know he is experienced but he scored.
I just don't get it after all this time only 2 goals between them. I appreciate Lloyd always puts a shift in but he is there to score goals as well. Had high hopes after he scored his 2 he would go on a run, but nope. He has made goals for others which is a plus, but you would think with the chances and half chances as you say he would have converted a few more.
Keena you could tell he wasn't fit enough all through Wades reign. That is not an excuse to not score goals, since DC has been here. He is having a run now but still not scored. We know he can score so why doesn't he. We are all making excuses for him saying he had that chance and great save by the keeper which we could still be saying when we play Stevenage and still no goals from him.
I know it seems harsh on him but what DC said the other week about some off them will drift out the game I fear AK may well be a case in point. Personally I would like him in our team, but my patience with his goal tally ( not his effort or ability) is wearing thin. He is paid to score goals as a striker.....end off especially with losing the other two.
Got 9 games to be a hero or zero. Hope he proves me wrong and scores against Fleetwood. I keep hoping the next game he will do it, but nope same story, he has to SCORE goals
QED
I thought Sloggett was the star of the midfield today - snapping into tackles when we pressed, composed in possession. One mistake early on but grew into things and you’d never have guessed that was his first Football League start. Tough place to make a first start. By contrast I thought Pett looked a bit tired (probably why he came off) and Kinsella’s decision making was a bit off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 20:49
CTFCfan99 wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 20:17

Trouble is we have been saying this since Wade was here about Keena and Lloyd. 2 goals all season. It is weird that they can't score after all this time. Matty comes in and scores first game. I know he is experienced but he scored.
I just don't get it after all this time only 2 goals between them. I appreciate Lloyd always puts a shift in but he is there to score goals as well. Had high hopes after he scored his 2 he would go on a run, but nope. He has made goals for others which is a plus, but you would think with the chances and half chances as you say he would have converted a few more.
Keena you could tell he wasn't fit enough all through Wades reign. That is not an excuse to not score goals, since DC has been here. He is having a run now but still not scored. We know he can score so why doesn't he. We are all making excuses for him saying he had that chance and great save by the keeper which we could still be saying when we play Stevenage and still no goals from him.
I know it seems harsh on him but what DC said the other week about some off them will drift out the game I fear AK may well be a case in point. Personally I would like him in our team, but my patience with his goal tally ( not his effort or ability) is wearing thin. He is paid to score goals as a striker.....end off especially with losing the other two.
Got 9 games to be a hero or zero. Hope he proves me wrong and scores against Fleetwood. I keep hoping the next game he will do it, but nope same story, he has to SCORE goals
If they aren’t good enough to score there’s not much we can do about it.
Horteng
I think we would of all took a point at 3pm however its disappointing not to convert some of the chances created.

Its another point on the board but we need to win a few now.
Artemis
Beat Burton away, and it's back in our own hands.
Fuller
Artemis wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 09:37 Beat Burton away, and it's back in our own hands.
Expect another 0-0 bore draw.

Anyone hazard a guess how many goals we will score by the end of the season?
I’m going with five but I desperately hope I’m wrong…..
Shade
Is Sercs our current top scorer? Didn't get on the pitch on Saturday! Hopefully 3 weeks without a game will lead to him coming back and firing on all cylinders between 29th March and 27th April, inclusive.
Broadway Brian
We need both forwards working the channels, so he can then pop down the middle.

He’s definitely missing Street as much as we all are
Robin
Agree about Sercombe, he's the midfielder who can arrive late in the box, Pett/Bonds/Kinsella are just never doing that so our goal threat reduces a lot without him. We are also missing physicality up top, Nuttal is a long way short of what we need, Goodwin/Street would bully defenders and cause space for others, whilst Lloyd has been doing his best he needs help. We could almost do with a John Brough style centre back who could be pushed up top and win headers late in the game, Bradbury maybe?
asl
Bradbury is clearly the target from all our corners, so yes, that'd be him.